Subject: Newbie question

From: Linda Grimaldi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 14:53:04 -0700

Apologies for the elementary nature of this question.  If there is a more appropriate mailing list to send it to, please let me know.

Anyhow, I have been looking at the policy drafts from the IETF (<draft-ietf-policy-framework-00.txt>, for example) and I have been doing some LDAP-related work for a couple of months.  LDAP, near as I can tell, has no transactional model.  Relationships in network management and policy management/deployment can get a little hairy.  I was wondering if the need for transactional support in LDAP is felt, or if an architectural decision has been made that any transactional enforcement is up to the application via a TP monitor or similar product?  Or if I am totally off base and there is some transactional support mechanism in LDAP of which I am ignorant (wouldn't be the first time.)

Thanks,
Linda Grimaldi
[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:53:25 -0800

There is no transactional support in LDAP today. And the kind you are
looking for conflicts with the desire for high availability. A TP monitor
using LDAP as its store would not improve matters -- it wouldn't function as
expected, and at past it would give high consistency at the expense of
availability.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Grimaldi [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2000 1:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Newbie question

Apologies for the elementary nature of this question.  If there is a more
appropriate mailing list to send it to, please let me know.
 
Anyhow, I have been looking at the policy drafts from the IETF
(<draft-ietf-policy-framework-00.txt>, for example) and I have been doing
some LDAP-related work for a couple of months.  LDAP, near as I can tell,
has no transactional model.  Relationships in network management and policy
management/deployment can get a little hairy.  I was wondering if the need
for transactional support in LDAP is felt, or if an architectural decision
has been made that any transactional enforcement is up to the application
via a TP monitor or similar product?  Or if I am totally off base and there
is some transactional support mechanism in LDAP of which I am ignorant
(wouldn't be the first time.)
 
Thanks,
Linda Grimaldi
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Paul Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:57:54 -0800

Here's a citation on the inevitability of this conflict:
Coan, B., Oki, B., and Kolodner, E., "Limitations on Database Availability
When Networks Partition, " Proc. 5th Symp. on Principles of Distributed
Computing, Calgary, 1986, pp. 187-194.
 
(BTW to others on this list -- this is the one I promised many moons ago --
I just found a search engine that makes this easy: www.csindex.com
<http://www.csindex.com> )

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Grimaldi [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2000 1:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Newbie question

 
Thanks,
Linda Grimaldi