Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-01.txt - Discovering LDAP Services with DNS

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 16:35:06 -0800

Michael,

All this draft says is that if you use DC naming, you can look up the
appropriate LDAP server using DNS.  Is that right?  Or is there something
more?  If there isn't anything more, why do we need to say it here.
Shouldn't it go into Ryan and Roland's taxonomy draft, since they already
have a section (2.5) on using SRV records? 

Thanks,

Bruce

P.S. As an aside, who in California has the personalized license plate LDAP???

==============================================
Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com

---

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 17:01:38 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Bruce Greenblatt wrote:

> appropriate LDAP server using DNS.  Is that right?  Or is there
> something more?  If there isn't anything more, why do we need to say
> it here. Shouldn't it go into Ryan and Roland's taxonomy draft, since
> they already have a section (2.5) on using SRV records?

Because ldapext-locate would become a Proposed Standard, and needs to be
so to satisfy both common sense and the requirements of
draft-ietf-dnsind-rfc2052bis-05.txt:

   Applicability Statement

   In general, it is expected that SRV records will be used by clients
   for applications where the relevant protocol specification indicates
   that clients should use the SRV record. Such specification MUST
   define the symbolic name to be used in the Service field of the SRV
   record as described below. It also MUST include security
   considerations. Service SRV records SHOULD NOT be used in the absence
   of such specification.

whereas the taxonomy draft will be Informational only.

 - RL "Bob"