Subject: Re: draft-mmeredith-rootdse-vendor-info-02.txt

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:04:50 -0800

To be blunt, I don't believe that there is much use for this draft.  The
information that it proposes to add to the Root DSE is already published is
already available from SNMP if the LDAP server conforms to RFC 2248.  The
applVersion field of the MIB is useful here.  I think that this draft
should just point to RFC 2248 (and perhaps 2605) and explain where the
vendor information should be placed.  These are already standards track
documents, and have places to put the information that this draft defines.
(Just my $0.02 worth)

 Bruce
==============================================
Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com

---

From: "Peter Strong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:13:02 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bruce Greenblatt [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 1:05 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: draft-mmeredith-rootdse-vendor-info-02.txt
>
>
> To be blunt, I don't believe that there is much use for this draft.

For those of us who attempt to build applications that work with
multiple directory implementations, this information is very useful.

> The information that it proposes to add to the Root DSE is already
> published is

The products we build are LDAP clients, not SNMP clients.

This information should be available via LDAP.

>  Bruce

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Strong
Software Architect
Nortel Networks - Optivity Policy Services (OPS) and NetID
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
(613) 831-6615

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:36:12 -0800

>multiple directory implementations, this information is very useful.

The information may be useful.  I never said that it wasn't.  I said that
it's already available someplace else.  Get it from there, since that is
already a standards track RFC.  I don't see much point in duplicating this
information.  In my opinion, a good internet directory client will get
information from a variety of internet servers: DNS, LDAP, SNMP, and others.