Subject: Re: draft-just-ldapv3-rescodes-01.txt

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:13:48 -0800

Mike, et. al,

A few comments/questions/suggestions based upon a quick read...

Internal Errors: operationsError vs other
  You have defined operationsError as being used to indicate internal
  errors?  Is this actually appropriate since operationsErrors are
  prescribed to be returned in a number of specific situations, such
  as documented by bind and start tls operations.  I do not believe
  operationsError should not be used as a catch all for "internal
  errors".  Instead, I suggested servers return other.

Precedence?
  Seems to imply that if multiple errors were detected, that
  more "specific" should be returned over less "specific" errors.
  I believe that the most severe error detected be returned.
  In particular, a protocolError should take precedence over any
  "specific" error.

  I would also note that a server is not required to detect
  multiple errors.  It is allowed to return the first error
  detected.

Controls
  No meantion of controls are made.  As controls can significantly
  change the behavior of operations, it may be appropriate for a
  control to specify that a result code be returned which would
  normally returned by the base operation.

Extended Operations
  I would suggest adding a sentence to your extended operation
  section:  Extended Operations MAY return any result code
  (excepting 81-90).

API Errors (81-90):
  A note stating that server MUST NOT return these result codes.