Subject: Named Referrals in LDAP Directories

From: Saurabh Shrivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:21:13 -0800

As per Section 5.1.1.3 of this draft (Search with one level scope)

'For search operations, once the base object has
been found and determined not to contain a ref attribute, the search may
progress. Any entries matching the filter and scope of the search that
do NOT contain a ref attribute are returned to the client normally as described
in  [RFC2251]. Any entries matching the filter and one level scope
that do contain a ref attribute must be returned as referrals as described
here.'

The later part of the above paragraph states that  'Any entries
matching the filter and one level scope that contain a ref attribute'.
Here, an entry containing the ref attribute may not match with the filter
specified in the one level search operation even though it is present in
the scope of the search. In this case should the ldap server, return a
referral as the referral entry is in the scope of the search even though
the filter does not match? The same issues arises in section 5.1.1.4 of
the draft.

I would really appreciate any clarification on the above issue.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards,

Saurabh Shrivastava