Subject: LDAP presentation format?

From: Vincent Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:59:45 +0000

Processing a URL typically involves presenting the results as a data
stream.
In the case of an LDAP URL there are several available formats for such
a
data stream. For example,

 - text/directory MIME-type
      http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2425.txt

 - DSML (XML) format
       http://www.dsml.org

 - LDIF file format
       http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-good-ldap-ldif-05.txt

I'm seeking responses from LDAP users and implementors on the relative
merits of these 3 formats. In particular, I'm interested in determining
which forms are widely supported in current or planned products.

Thanks in advance.

---

From: Peter Valkenburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:55:33 +0100

Hi,

> which forms are widely supported in current or planned products.

FYI:
We're working with some partners on an large scale LDAP indexing
solution for research and academia:
  http://www.desire.org/html/research/workingpapers/index.html

The index system is generic, and use HTTP as an internal transport 
system.  For query responses it uses LDIF embedded in MIME.
The MIME object type has been dubbed text/ldif.  (yes, something
ought to be registered here)

--
  Peter Valkenburg
  SURFnet