Subject: Vendor Info

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:48:25 -0800

Mark,

Section 4.

What is the intent of this statement:
   These attributes are an addition to the Server-specific Data
   Requirements defined in section 3.4 of [RFC-2251].

Do you mean to imply that servers MUST provide these values?  You
later say SHOULD maintain these attributes types.  As noted previously,
I believe the publication of these attributes should be elective.
That is, a server MAY provide these attributes.

Section 5.

If a server supports these attribute types, the values should
be overwritable by configuration.  This allows a server to
"spoof" clients to obtain desired behavior.

Section 6.

A client must not assume that all servers advertising a particular
version string behave in a like manner.  The apparent flaw may
only be exhibited in a subset of the servers advertising a
particular version.  This may be due to any number of environmental
factors.

Clients should not attempt fuzzy matching.  They must only
enable workarounds when the server presents a vendor strings
known to evident of specific flaws.  They must assume that all
unknown vendor strings behavior per standard track specifications.

	Kurt