Subject: Changes to Java LDAP drafts

From: [email-masked] (Rob Weltman)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:47:40 -0800

The Internet Drafts on a Java LDAP API have passed two last calls
in this working group, but Steven Merrill at Novell has found a number
of typos and inconsistencies that I think should be fixed before this leaves
the working group. A summary follows. Comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

java-api-09

4.3.5 LDAPAttributeSet

The return type of the two getAttribute() methods should be LDAPAttribute,
not LDAPAttribute[]

--

The LDAPConstraints/LDAPConstraints parameter to many methods: what
is the effect of passing null?

Default constraints

--

What if null is passed for DN where a valid DN is expected?

IllegalArgumentException

--

4.28.2 add

Missing convenience method

public void add(LDAPEntry entry) throws LDAPException

--

4.28.10 read

Missing method

public LDAPEntry read(String dn, String attrs[], LDAPConstraints cons)
throws LDAPException

--

4.13.6 Error Codes

Should be Result Codes (because some codes returned by the server do
not indicate an error)

--

4.24 LDAPSearchResults

Should say "implements Enumeration"

--

Where are NO_ATTRS and ALL_USER_ATTRS defined?

They should be defined in LDAPv2

-------------------

java-api-asynch-ext-04

4.1.1 abandon

id
The ID of the operation to abandon. The ID may be

obtained from the search listener for the operation.

It should say "from the listener for the operation", because it works
with response listeners as well as with search listeners.

--

4.4 public abstract class LDAPResponse extends LDAPMessage

Should not be abstract

--

There should be an asynchronous version of extendedOperation()

--

There should be an asynchronous version of rename() - the variant that
takes newParentDN as parameter

--

4.1.8 search

The second signature should take LDAPSearchConstraints rather than LDAPConstraints
as argument