Subject: TLS graceful closure

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:13:30 -0800

> Either the client or server MAY terminate the TLS connection on an LDAP
> association by sending a TLS closure alert. This will leave the LDAP
> association intact.

>Before closing a TLS connection, the client MUST either wait for any
>outstanding LDAP operations to complete, or explicitly abandon them
>[LDAPv3].

Does the server have any requirements before it can initiate such
a closure?

>After the initiator of a close has sent a closure alert, it MUST discard
>any TLS messages until it has received an alert from the other party.
>It will cease to send TLS Record Protocol PDUs, and following the
>reciept of the alert, MAY send and receive LDAP PDUs.

Including all client requests (such as unbind) and server
notice of disconnect?

>The other party, if it receives a closure alert, MUST immediately
>transmit a TLS closure alert.  It will subequently cease to send TLS
>Record Protocol PDUs, and MAY send and receive LDAP PDUs.      

Any server requirements upon receipt of a closure altert?
Such as abandoning all outstanding requests?