Subject: Changelog entries draft. Do not seem to find it.

From: "Natarajan SK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:31:54 -0700

Hi ,
        The draft-ietf-ldup-replica-req-02.txt ( LDAP V3 Replication Requirements )        
draft specifies as a reference :

 [Changelog]  Gordon Good, "Definitions of an Object Class to Hold
      LDAP Change records", Internet Draft, draft-ietf-asid-changelog-
      00.txt,  November  1996. 

I do not seem to find the draft anywhere. Could anyone help?  Also is there any written material on LDAP changelogs otherwise? 

Aprpeciate anybody who can help. 

Regards,
Natarajan

S.K.Natarajan
Senior Software Engineer
Novell Software, Bangalore
E-mail [email-masked]
Ph. no. 91-80-572-1856/58 Extn. 2213
Fx 91-80-572-1870

---

From: [email-masked] (Gordon Good)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 10:04:25 -0800

The changelog draft has expired.

I believe that the reference to the changelog draft should be removed from the LDUP requirements document. The reference is made
in passing, and (incorrectly) implies that the changelog draft is part of the core LDAP specifications (which it is not). Quoting
from draft-ietf-ldup-replica-req-02.txt:

"Currently LDAP does
not define a replication mechanism and only generally mentions LDAP
shadow servers (see [RFC2251] and [Changelog]) in passing. The
requirements for replication are critical to the successful
deployment and acceptance of LDAP in the market place."

Removing the reference to [Changelog] would allow the replication requirements draft to proceed without any dependency on the
changelog draft.

While I'm happy to resurrect the changelog draft and discuss publishing it as a standards-track document (informational,
probably), it's not going to be a part of  the LDUP specification.

-Gordon

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 10:29:56 -0800

>probably), it's not going to be a part of  the LDUP specification.

I would support publication of the Changelog draft as an
Informational RFC as it would document existing practices.
The document would have to be amended, of course, to contain
appropriate statements concerning IETF work in this area.

Kurt

---

From: Chris Apple <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 17:06:03 -0500

Lets just remove it.

Chris.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Apple                     Business Site: AnyWho Directory Service
Internet Directory Group                       http://www.anywho.com
AT&T Labs
[email-masked]
+1 973 236 6470                 Tired of slow directories?  Try AnyWho.
------------------------------------------------------------------------