Subject: RE: IPP> Re: Root OID for IPP Printer Schema

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:08:21 -0700 (PDT)

>Well, if Sun doesn't want you to use their arc for this, that is a
>different problem altogether.  If it will help, I'm certainly willing to
>donate an arc off of my branch of the OID tree:

No, it's not a matter of "Sun not wanting to", it's just that it seems there
is some amount of unhappiness about using a Sun-specific arc. Since
I put the OID in the draft, we're perfectly happy to donate the OID.

>I've already used a couple of branches underneath this, but I'm willing to
>allocate: 1.3.6.1.4.1.5515.3 for your use.

It sounds to me like most people would prefer a neutral arc, not
allocated to any company, but I can use this OID if there is no
objection.

What do people think? Should I use Bruce's or go to IANA for one?

		jak

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:59:21 +0200

I believe if you look at the OIDs used by many of the standard
track documents (RFC 2252 and others) you'll find uses of
numerous OIDs under private enterprises.

>What do people think? Should I use Bruce's or go to IANA for one?

I suggest no change... (ie: use the OIDs delegated by Sun)

	Kurt