Subject: Re: Root OID for IPP Printer Schema

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:12:40 -0700 (PDT)

>
>The Internet Printing Protocol Working Group is developing an Internet
>Draft describing an LDAP Schema for Printer Services.
>
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-ldap-printer-schema-00.txt
>
>
>For expediency, the initial draft specifies OIDs from a Sun Microsystems
>private enterprise subtree. In preparation for a standards track document
>we would like these OIDs to be routed in a standards subtree. We want to
>harmonize with any convention that may exist within the LDAP community for
>registering this subtree. Will the LDAP group make the request for an
>assigned OID subtree or would you prefer for the IPP group to make the
>request?
>

I believe Ian McDonald followed the SLP to LDAP translation draft for this
schema, described in draft-ietf-svrloc-template-conversion-05.txt.
The OIDs you refer to are intended to be part of any schema, and
are included in the instructions the draft gives for translation.
If there is some problem with these OIDs, then I would appreciate
advice about how to get them changed in the draft and not just
for the specific case of the printer schema (I am a coauthor of the draft).
A review earlier this year by an LDAP expert indicated no problem
with the OIDs, so I assumed they were OK.

		jak