Subject: Root OID for IPP Printer Schema

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:59:50 -0600

The Internet Printing Protocol Working Group is developing an Internet
Draft describing an LDAP Schema for Printer Services.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-ldap-printer-schema-00.txt

For expediency, the initial draft specifies OIDs from a Sun Microsystems
private enterprise subtree. In preparation for a standards track document
we would like these OIDs to be routed in a standards subtree. We want to
harmonize with any convention that may exist within the LDAP community for
registering this subtree. Will the LDAP group make the request for an
assigned OID subtree or would you prefer for the IPP group to make the
request?

Harry Lewis

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:25:51 -0700

What's wrong with continuing to use the one from Sun?  As long as it is
unambiguous, who cares?

Bruce

>assigned OID subtree or would you prefer for the IPP group to make the
==============================================
Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
Sign up for our LDAP Technical Overview Seminar at:
http://www.acteva.com/go/dtasi

---

From: Morteza Ansari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:31:40 -0700

Exactly!  As long as the OID is unique, what does it matter which part
of the tree it is in?

Morteza,

---

From: Mark Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:09:01 -0500

>  Will the LDAP group make the request for an

LDAP allows any OID so long as it was legally obtained and has uniqueness 
guarantees.  If you want an OID in 1.3.6.1 other than in 1.3.6.1.4.1, then 
you should request one from IANA.

Mark Wahl, Directory Architect, Service Provider/Infrastructure
Innosoft, part of Sun Microsystems, Inc.'s iPlanet alliance