Subject: Protocol Action: LDAP Control Extension for Server Side Sorting of Search Results to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:56:45 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'LDAP Control Extension for
Server Side Sorting of Search Results'
<draft-ietf-ldapext-sorting-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the LDAP Extension Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
This  document  describes two LDAPv3 control extensions for  server side
sorting of search results. These controls allows a client to specify the
attribute types and  matching rules a  server should  use when returning
the results to an LDAP search request.

The sort controls allow a server to return a result code for the sorting
of the results  that is independent  of the result code returned for the
search operation.

Working Group Summary

There have been consensus in the working group about this way of
implementing the control extension. The extension very closely fits
together with the extension for pages result sets, which is published
as RFC 2696.

Protocol Quality

The document is reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please change the following text in section 3.1:

From (Old):
  The MatchingRuleID SHOULD be one that is valid for the
  attribute type it applies to...
To (New):
  The MatchingRuleID, as defined in section 4.1.9 of [LDAPv3],
  SHOULD be one that is valid for the attribute type it applies to...

Also, please change the author information as follows:

Old:  T. Howes, Netscape
New:  T. Howes, Loudcloud

Old:  M. Wahl, Critical Angle Inc
New:  M. Wahl, Sun Microsystems