Subject: employeenumber<=1100008

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:50:22 -0700

I've been reviewing the BLITS 2.3 and a question regarding the
Less-Than-Or-Equal-To (3.3.2.1.4) test.
  http://www.opengroup.org/directory/dc5/blits0/blits23.htm#3.3.2.1

The test uses the filter (employeenumber<=1100008) expecting a
subset of the entries in the DIT to be returned.  However,
employeenumber is defined in RFC 2798, 2.4 as:
   ( 2.16.840.1.113730.3.1.3
      NAME 'employeeNumber'
      DESC 'numerically identifies an employee within an organization'
      EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
      SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch
      SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15                      
      SINGLE-VALUE )

Note the lack of an ORDERING matching rule.  Per X.501, 12.4.5:
  If no ordering matching rule is indicated the Directory shall treat
  any assertion of an ordering match using the syntax provided by the
  Directory Abstract Service as undefined.

That is, the filter should evaluate to undefined and per three
value logic, no entries should be returned.  Is this correct?

If not correct, how does the server determine a suitable
matching rule to use?

	Kurt

---

From: Chris Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 19:11:36 +0100

Hi, Kurt -

Thanks for raising this. It looks as though the author of that particular
test (me) may have made an unwarranted assumption about employeenumber.
I'll revise that test in the update to BLITS that I'm doing for the
DirConnect next week.

>employeenumber is defined in RFC 2798, 2.4 as:

Regards,

Chris
+++++

========================================================================
                     THE DIRECTORY-ENABLED ENTERPRISE:
                     26-27 June, 2000   Austin, Texas
    
                 The State-of-the-Art of Directory Products, 
                          The Customer Perspective,
                The Vision of the Directory-Enabled Enterprise.

                 http://www.opengroup.org/public/member/q300/

           Chris Harding
  T H E    Directory Program Manager
 O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:[email-masked]  Phone:  +44 118 950 8311 x2262
           WWW: http://www.opengroup.org   Mobile: +44 771 8588820  
========================================================================