Subject: RE: Intense LDAP write operations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:42:21 +0300

>> Hi,
>> 
>> I am working on a problem where LDAP would be used to keep a 
>directory with user data.  One concern I have is that LDAP is supposed to 
>be less efficient when it comes to intense write operations.
>> 
>> Can LDAP handle millions of users data in a directory where some of the
data
>> (a few attributes) needs to be updated very frequently?  How would that
>> affect performance and is LDAP effective when the searched data must be
>> returned promptly with very little delay?
>> 
>> If anyone has any comments on this, I would appreciate it,

>I can't see any reason why there should be any inherent 
>performance hit on writes in LDAP. The reason why most servers are slow on
>writes is that they update indexes for each write operation.
>
>	Cheers Leif

Leif et al,

Is that index update done also when the attribute of an object is only
changed or can that be by-passed when the data is only altered and no
changes are made to the structure of the directory?  If it is possible,
would by-passing the index update make the write operation faster?

mvh,

Martin

---

From: Ludovic Poitou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 09:52:58 +0200

> would by-passing the index update make the write operation faster?

The index update usually only occurs when an attribute is modified and this
attribute is indexed.

You need to index attributes when they appear very often in search filters.
This improves the search performances but reduces the modification
performances (when the attribute indexed is present in the modification).

Regards,

Ludovic.

--
Ludovic Poitou
Sun Microsystems Inc.
iPlanet E-Commerce Solutions - Directory Group - Grenoble - France