Subject: Unrecognized critical control & referrals

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 06:17:18 -0700

RFC 2251, 4.1.2:
   If the server does not recognize the control type and the criticality
   field is TRUE, the server MUST NOT perform the operation, and MUST
   instead return the resultCode unsupportedCriticalExtension.

There seems to me the need for an exception to the MUST to allow
a server to return a referral instead of unsupportedCriticalExtension.
If the request would, if the control was not marked critical,
have returned a referral result, shouldn't that same referral be
returned when the control is critical?

Kurt

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:20:33 -0700

>returned when the control is critical?

Since there is no way to know what the extension might be, there is now way
to know if returning the referral is the right behavior.  What if the
critical extension is "Don't return referrals"?  This text MUST stay as it
is... Bruce

>Kurt
==============================================
Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
Sign up for our LDAP Technical Overview Seminar at:
http://www.acteva.com/go/dtasi