Subject: Re: Error Code returned when Critical Extension fails

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 08:22:31 -0700

At 07:31 AM 6/5/00 -0700, Michael Armijo wrote: 
>I wanted to get clarification from the WG on which error code
>should be used when an operation with a critical control fails
>due to an error within the control.
>A simple example would be a failed critical VLV control (let's say
>due to a missing Sort control). 
>The most obvious answer would be unavailableCriticalExtension (12),
>but it is not explicitly defined for this condition on RFC 2251
>(or in the Result Codes draft).  

Yiks.  Actually, RFC 2251 has a typo.
  s/unavailableCriticalExtension/unsupportedCriticialExtension/
or
  s/unsupportedCriticalExtension/unavailableCriticialExtension/

However, with either spelling, 12 should be used as indicated
in 4.1.12.

I would suggest the return a different resultCode (which
should be described by the control specification).   For
a invalid controlValue, I suggest protocolError.

Kurt

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 14:59:28 -0400

I agree with Kurt -- documents that describe controls should specify
what result codes are returned.  In the example you mentioned, the VLV
draft defines a sortControlMissing code that will be returned in the
virtualListViewResult field of the virtualListViewResponse (i.e., within
the VLV response control).  But I do not see where the draft specifies
what value is to be returned for the search request itself in this
situation, i.e., in the resultCode field of the LDAPResult (it should).

-- 
Mark Smith
Directory Product Development / iPlanet E-Commerce Solutions
My words are my own, not my employer's.            Got LDAP?