Subject: LDAPSetoption java-api-11

From: "Steve Sonntag" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:54:39 -0600

Section 4.39.13 LDAPV2.setOption

This method of the LDAPV2 interface seems a little strange.

 1) It probably does not belong under the interface LDAPV2,
    but instead under LDAPConnection. This would allow it
    to support setting client & server controls which it
    cannot do under LDAPV2.  This functionality is currently
    missing in the method.
    
    Setting STRING_FORMAT is also an LDAPV3 setting, as UTF-8
    is only meaningful under LDAPV3.

 2) STRING_FORMAT is set only by the setOption method.
    There should be a way to set or get STRING_FORMAT with
    LDAPSearchConstraints methods.

 3) setOption operates only on the LDAPSearchConstraints object
    that is associated with an LDAPConnection object.  Yet
    there may also be an LDAPConstraints object associated
    with the LDAPConnection object.  It may or may not be
    the same as the LDAPSearchConstraints object.  Should
    there be a setOption kind of method that operates on
    the LDAPConstraints object associated with a connection?

 4) All functionality of SetOption can be performed by code
    that references the LDAPSearchConstraints object of a
    connection - i.e. LDAPConnection.getSearchConstraints.method().

This method is superfluous and problematic. 
IMO, it is not needed and should be eliminated from the API.

-Steve

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:13:11 -0700

>    is only meaningful under LDAPV3.

Given charset and other issues surrounding APIs
designed to support both LDAPv2 and LDAPv3 and
the what I believe is general consensus to
obsolete LDAPv2, I suggest that all mention
and support for LDAPv2 be axed from LDAPext
work items.

        Kurt

---

From: Steven Sonntag <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:26:40 -0600

> and support for LDAPv2 be axed from LDAPext

If references to LDAPv2 are not removed from the draft,
then the methods that were previously in LDAPAsynchronous
Connection which are now in LDAPConnection - these methods
should also be in one of the LDAPV2 or LDAPV3 interfaces
to identify where they can be used.

-Steve

--
------------------------
Steve Sonntag
Novell Directory Services
+1 801 861 7097