Subject: Duplicate Entries question

From: "David Chadwick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 00:20:37 +0100

Jim

How do you envisage the criticality flag and the partial control flag 
interacting, for all four combinations, viz:

i) critical false, partial true - presumably the server can duplicate 
entries from zero to all of the attributes

ii) critical true, partial false - presumably the server must duplicate 
entries for all of the attributes or fail

Now here are the interesting ones

iii) critical false, partial false -  the server can duplicate entries for 
zero OR all of the attributes, but not some number in between ?

iv) critical true, partial true - the server can duplicate entries from 
zero to all of the attributes, same as case i)? If this is the case it 
means that criticality has no effect when partial is true.

I wonder if we really need both flags? If we wrote the spec to say 
that if critical is false, the server can choose to duplicate entries 
from any, all or none of the attributes, and if critical is true it must 
do all or give an error, then we dont need the partial flag do we?

David

***************************************************

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email [email-masked]
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J

***************************************************

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:53:02 -0700

I think you do need two flags.

The criticality TRUE flags says the server must return
unavailableCriticalExtension if it is unwilling or unable
to attempt the operation as extended by the control.  If
the server is willing and able to perform the operation
as extended by the control, the criticality flag is
irrelevant.

If there are alternative operation semantics, the control
must provide information to control the semantics... such
as the "partial" flag defined in this proposal.  So:

1) the service is unwilling or unable to attempt the operation as
   extended by the control.
   If critical, return unavailableExtendedOperation.
   Otherwise, process operation as if control was not specified.

2) the service is willing and able to attempt the operation.
   Critical flag is irrelevant.  Process per control semantics:
   a) partial TRUE or
   b) partial FALSE.

Kurt

---

From: "David Chadwick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:43:57 +0100

Date forwarded: 	Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:54:00 -0700 (PDT)
Date sent:      	Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:53:02 -0700
To:             	[email-masked]
From:           	"Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>

> I think you do need two flags.

yep, you are right from your analysis below.
David

David Chadwick