Subject: New draft - LDAP control for modify and delete on multiple entries

From: "Haripriya S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:36:45 -0600

I have submitted a draft titled "EntrySelection control for LDAP modify and delete operations on multiple entries". It is available at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haripriya-ldapext-entryselect-00.txt  . Please go through this and give your comments. 

Thanks and Regards,
Haripriya

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:27:52 -0700

Is the (modify/delete) operation still performed as an atomic
operation?

I find the use of controls to return continuations awkward at
best.  Such controls which extend operations which the "scope"
of existing operations should use extended partial responses
to return "continuations".  In fact, I don't see why we need
separate controls/responses for each of these operation.  I,
personally, would rather see:

A) extendedPartialResponses generalized such that they may
returned in response to any operation (after appropriate
client solicitation).

B) scopingControl be defined to allow specification of 
"scope" information (allowing use of "one" and "subtree"
scopes).  Per entry/continuation responses may be returned.

C) filterControl be defined to allow specification of a
filter which must match before performing operation.
Per entry/continuation responses may be returned.

I would note that such extensions must be very explicit
in regards to "atomic" properties of the "operation".  I
would recommend that only entry level atomic properties be
maintained, not operation level atomic properties.

At 09:36 PM 8/15/00 -0600, Haripriya S wrote:
> 
>I have submitted a draft titled "EntrySelection control for LDAP modify and delete operations on multiple entries". It is available at <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haripriya-ldapext-entryselect-00.txt>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haripriya-ldapext-entryselect-00.txt  . Please go through this and give your comments. 
> 
>Thanks and Regards,
>Haripriya