Subject: Relationship between dupent and matched values

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:20:31 -0700

I'm wrapping up the final edits for a new version of the duplicate entries draft and I was going to add a comment about the usefulness of pairing it with the matched values draft. I'm hesitating now, only because I'd like to see this draft get to RFC status soon and so I don't want to reference a draft that isn't scheduled to be immediately advanced.

Does anyone have strong feelings about this? We could put the note in the matched values draft.

Jim

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:06:59 -0800

At 03:20 PM 10/31/2000, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>>I'm wrapping up the final edits for a new version of the duplicate 
>>entries draft and I was going to add a comment about the usefulness of 
>>pairing it with the matched values draft. I'm hesitating now, only 
>>because I'd like to see this draft get to RFC status soon and so I don't 
>>want to reference a draft that isn't scheduled to be immediately advanced.
>>

IMHO, the two drafts have nothing to do with each other.  Duplicate entries 
deals with entries as a whole.  Matched values (vainly) attempts to solve 
an attribute-value level problem.  Definitely do NOT tie one to the other!

Bruce

==============================================
Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
See my new Book on Internet Directories: 
http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:37:36 -0800

>>Does anyone have strong feelings about this? We could put the note in the matched values draft.

You could make the comment in a manner which doesn't require a
normative reference to the matched values I-D [see note in RFC 2026,
2.2].  If it doesn't matter which I-D the note is added to, placing
it the one to progress later seems reasonable.  But do note that
the first one progressed to the AD is not necessarily the first
one approved by the IESG.

Kurt