Subject: a question regarding qdstring defn in RFC 2252

From: sanjay jain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 15:51:12 -0700

####

4.1. Common Encoding Aspects

[snip]

dstring         = 1*utf8

qdstring        = whsp "'" dstring
"'" whsp

[snip]

####

In the defn of qdstring, should it be explicitly mentioned that

if the dstring contains a "'" then it should be escaped by "\" or

am I missing something ?

thanks

sanjay

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 16:30:19 -0700

At 03:51 PM 10/6/00 -0700, sanjay jain wrote:
>qdstring        = whsp "'" dstring "'" whsp 
>[snip] 
>#### 
>

It should likely define an appropriate escaping mechanism
( \' or \27 ).  I'll make a note of this for LDAPbis efforts.

Kurt

---

From: Mark Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:50:57 -0500

RFC 2252 section 4.3:

   In encodings where an arbitrary string, not a Distinguished Name, is
   used as part of a larger production, and other than as part of a
   Distinguished Name, a backslash quoting mechanism is used to escape
   the following separator symbol character (such as "'", "$" or "#") if
   it should occur in that string.  The backslash is followed by a pair
   of hexadecimal digits representing the next character.  A backslash
   itself in the string which forms part of a larger syntax is always
   transmitted as '\5C' or '\5c'. An example is given in section 6.27.

Mark Wahl
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

---

From: "David Cahlander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:03:21 -0500

The wording of this section is really a problem.  I am at a loss to
understand
what:

    the following separator symbol character (such as "'", "$" or "#")

means.  How can you specify "the following separator symbol character" and
then give an example of the characters.

Specific questions are:

    1. What is the treatment of \xx when the input is not part of a
production,
    and xx are hex digits?  My guess is that the characters are treated as
    actual characters and \xx is returned on a read (search) function.

    2. If the LDAP input is a production, the standard can be interpreted
    two ways.

        2.1 In a production, the backslash quoting mechanism is always
        recognized.  A Distinguished Name, in a production, uses the quote
        mechanism described for a DN as well as the \xx mechanism.

        2.2 In a production, the backslash quoting mechanism is recognized
        only for characters that separate fields of the specific production.
        A Distinguished Name, in a production, uses the quote mechanism
        described for a DN as well as the \xx mechanism.

    Is \xx always interpreted as a hex representation of a character in
    a production?

    3. With nested productions, as are used in some X500 syntaxes, when
    are the \xx fields converted to the characters?
---
David Cahlander [email-masked] 651-415-3171

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Wahl <[email-masked]>
To: sanjay jain <[email-masked]>
Cc: ldapext <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: a question regarding qdstring defn in RFC 2252

|
| RFC 2252 section 4.3:
|
|    In encodings where an arbitrary string, not a Distinguished Name, is
|    used as part of a larger production, and other than as part of a
|    Distinguished Name, a backslash quoting mechanism is used to escape
|    the following separator symbol character (such as "'", "$" or "#") if
|    it should occur in that string.  The backslash is followed by a pair
|    of hexadecimal digits representing the next character.  A backslash
|    itself in the string which forms part of a larger syntax is always
|    transmitted as '\5C' or '\5c'. An example is given in section 6.27.
|
| Mark Wahl
| Sun Microsystems, Inc.
|
|