Subject: Re: Java LDAP API

From: "Steven Merrill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:22:27 -0600

The section "4.3.5 getAttribute" contains definitions for two getAttribute
methods. The second definition is written as:

   public LDAPAttribute[] getAttribute(String attrName, String lang)

   Returns a single best-match attribute, or none if no match is
   available in the entry.

=========
If the method returns a "single" best-match attribute, why is it
returned in LDAPAttribute[] instead of LDAPAttribute?

Is it possible to return multiple LDAPAttributes? If so, what example
would show that behavior?

=========
Shouldn't the description read:

   Returns a single best-match attribute, or null if no match is
   available in the entry.

=========
The last word "specification" needs to be made plural in the parameter 
definition of lang:

      lang           A language specification as in [9], with optional
                      subtypes appended using "-" as separator. "lang-
                      en", "lang-en-us", "lang-ja", and "lang-ja-JP-
                      kanji" are valid language specifications.

---

From: Rob Weltman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:45:09 -0700

> would show that behavior?

  Typo - it should be

   public LDAPAttribute getAttribute(String attrName, String lang)

>    Returns a single best-match attribute, or null if no match is

  Yes.

>                       kanji" are valid language specifications.

  OK

Rob