Subject: cookies in VLV

From: "John Liang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:12:41 -0500

HI there,

In <<LDAP Extensions for scrolling view browsing of search results>>,
How can we distinguish a subsequent VLV request and an original VLV
requst without SSS?

For instance, the client sends the first VLV request to the server
with SSS, it also sends a few subsequent requests to get the entries
that it is interested in. And then the client wants to send a new
VLV request to the server. But for some reason, it forgets to send
SSS with it.

When the server receives it, it will get confused because it does not
know if this is a new request without SSS in which case an error message
should return; Or it is a subsequent request of the first VLV request.

Thanks,
--
John Liang

---

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:58:41 -0700

John,

Section 5.1 says:
"If this control is included in a SearchRequest message, a Server Side Sorting request control [SSS] MUST also be present in the message.". So, even though it may be redundant, the SSS control must be included on subsequent iterations.

BTW, if you want to let the server know that this is a subsequent request, you should use the contextID field.

>>> "John Liang" <[email-masked]> 11/27/00 3:12:41 PM >>>
HI there,

Thanks,
--
John Liang