Subject: matching rules ...

From: sanjay jain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:49:13 -0800

Could somebody please provide pointers to the formal

definitions and OIDs for the following matching rules ?

CaseIgnoreIA5OrderingMatch

CaseIgnoreIA5SubstringMatch

CaseExactIA5OrderingMatch

CaseExactIA5SubstringMatch

thanks

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:34:11 -0800

>CaseExactIA5SubstringMatch 

As IA5 String syntax and matching rules are mentioned in various
X.500 RFCs (1274,1279,1617), I assume there is some specification
of associated matching rules to be found in the normative references
of these RFCs.  I note that at least one of these matching rules 
is specified in RFC 2798.

I also note that 2nd edition of X.500 does not provide any
specification of IA5 strings.  The 2nd edition relies on
directory strings which allow a choice of character encodings
(which IA5 is NOT a choice, but can be encoded using teletex
or universal strings).

I recommend to anyone designing schema not to use IA5 String
syntax and related matching rules.  Use directory string instead
and, if appropriate, state the contents shall be restricted to
IA5 characters.

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:49:01 -0800

>and, if appropriate, state the contents shall be restricted to

I second that emotion!