Subject: Summary of ELSE BOF on 12 December, 2000

From: "Timothy Hahn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:34:20 -0500

Greetings,

(Cross-posted to ietf-ldapext and ietf-else per request.  All subsequent
 discussions should take place on ietf-else).

Sorry for the delay in posting this.

Attendees: 17

The following items were brought up, discussed, and voted upon for their
relative importance.  They are presented here in order of their vote 
tallies.
Votes were taken by a show of hands to establish everyone's relative
importance of the item.  Categories for importance were: Can't live 
without
(CL), Nice to have (Ni), No interest (No), harmful (i.e. contrary to some 
other
working group or effort) (Harm).

All items that were listed as "Can't live without" or "Nice to have"
were then discussed to see who could possibly author a draft on the topic.
People who accepted the work are listed in the right hand column
of the table.

Description                          CL  Ni  No  Harm Responsible for I-D

procedures for merging and updating  14   0   0  0    Tim Hahn
schema, including a discussion on                     Ludvic Poitou
removing existing schema and                          Mark Hinkley
understanding when schema elements
can be deleted

determine the allowable changes to    8   4   0  0    Mark Hinkley
existing schema elements, define                      Tim Hahn to get Bob
"do no harm" operations, include a                       Moore's document
discussion of implications for
existing data

define extensions to attribute type   7   5   0  0    Jim Sermersheim
and object class ABNF to allow for                    Ludvic Poitou
specification of "unique" and                         Roger Harrison
"referential integrity"

define procedures for partitioning,   6   7   0  0    Tim Hahn
i.e. show how different schemas can                   Mark Meredith
be applied to different areas of
the DIT

updating and removing existing        4   7   0  0    to be handled in the
schemas                                                first item above

define a way for ensuring unique      4   5   0  0    Mortezza Ansari
attribute type and object class                       Bob Joslin
names (not just OIDs)

discovery of attribute type options   3  10   0  0    Jim Sermersheim
that are allowable in a server (was                   Mark Wahl
an oversight in LDAPv3 RFCs)

grouping of LDAP schema pieces,       0  13   1  0    no one assigned as 
there
packages of schema, listing                           exists an 
Informational
dependencies between schema                           RFC 2927 to describe 
one
packages, versioning schema                           approach
packages

define how to describe schema as      0   8   1  0    Roger Harrison
"first class objects" instead of                      Brian Jarvis
"structured types".

define additional attributes for      0   7   0  0    Steven Legg
subschemasubentry.  Attributes such
as ditContentRules are ill-defined
in the current RFCs.  This work
would clarify their definition
and usage

guide LDUP WG on how to replicate     0   0   0  17
schema

Target is March 1, 2001 for draft submissions.  This will allow review
at next IETF meeting in Minneapolis.

Ellen Stokes will post ELSE mailing list information to the LDAPext 
mailing
list.

Tim Hahn to post these notes to LDAPext mailing list.

E-mail addresses of responsible people above:

Mark Hinckley           [email-masked]
Brian Jarvis            [email-masked]
Steven Legg             [email-masked]
Bob Joslin              [email-masked]
Morteza Ansari          [email-masked]
Ludovic Poitou          [email-masked]
Richard Megginson       [email-masked]
Roger Harrison          [email-masked]
Mark Meredith           [email-masked]
Tim Hahn                [email-masked]
Ed Reed                 [email-masked]
Dale Olds               [email-masked]
Jim Sermersheim         [email-masked]

Regards,
Tim Hahn

Internet: [email-masked]
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS or IBMUSM00(HAHNT)
phone: 607.752.6388     tie-line: 8/852.6388
fax: 607.752.3681