Subject: Non-WG Call on draft-alvestrand-directory-defs-01.txt

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:26:41 +0100

This message is intentionally copied quite widely, to a number of mailing
lists where people who do "directory-like things" hang out.

This is a Last Call before submitting to the IESG on the document 
draft-alvestrand-directory-defs-01.txt, available from the I-D directories, 
such
as http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alvestrand-directory-defs-01.txt

 From the introduction:

"When discussing systems for making information accessible through the
Internet in standardized ways, it may be useful if the people
discussing have a common understanding of the terms they use.
One group of such systems is known under the term "directories".
This document is not intended to be either comprehensive or definitive,
but is intended to give some aid in mutual comprehension when
discussing information access methods to be incorporated into Internet
Standards-Track documents.
Reference to this document would, for instance, give one the power to
agree that the Domain Name Service is a global lookup repository with
perimeter integrity and loose, converging consistency, while an LDAP
directory server is a local, centralized repository with both lookup
and search capability."

In other words - a document to give a common understanding of terms like 
"The DNS is not a directory".

There are 2 typos in the document that I know of already, so this is not 
the version that will be last-called. (See if you find them too .-)
However, if you have other comments, PLEASE send them to myself and to 
[email-masked].

DO NOT SEND TO THE LISTS IN THE CC: LINE!
(my apologies for being unable to insert the oft-feared Reply-to: line)

If no serious objections are made, I hope to submit version -03 to the IESG
for consideration before the Minneapolis IETF meeting.
Thank you.

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, [email-masked]
+47 41 44 29 94
Personal email: [email-masked]