Subject: Re: Clear explicit recommendation for corrective action

From: John Strassner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:00:30 -0800

Albert,

As WG Co-Chair, I have four things to say to you:

first, concerning your arguing over the following statement:

> >An applicability statement should clearly indicate
> >that multi-master is unsuitable in any situation with a high rate of
> >concurrent changes to the same entries.

the problem with this statement is that this is a requirements document, 
and "high rate" is not quantified. We developed a consensus in the mail 
list on the wording change, and the requirements authors implemented that 
wording change. Some additional detail may show up in subsequent documents, 
but the point is that, for the requirements document, this issue is closed. 
If you still disagree, I'm happy to discuss this with you in private, or 
you can appeal to our ADs.

Second, I thought you had agreed to stop making derisive, inflammatory 
remarks. Your text below is both:

>[Albert]
>The problem I see is that John believes the WG has reached a conclusion
>when he forms an opinion, or even when he is merely "confused", that
>everyone has agreed when he has changed his mind, and that no one could
>come up with a reasonable answer to a question that has not been asked.

PLEASE STOP MAKING SUCH COMMENTS. The mail list is for technical 
discussions only, not for expressing insults.

Third, I note that you write:

>Unlike normal WG technical business I do not believe this problem can
>best be resolved through email discussions and I am not calling for such
>a discussion now. It is better suited to face to face meetings.

It might be nice if you practice what you preach and actually show up to a 
meeting to argue your point.

Finally, concerning your "corrective action" diatribe, a WG Co-Chair has 
the power to declare consensus, especially to keep the working group going. 
This also includes stopping discussions when something has already been 
decided, which I have tried to get you to do. Patrik has even sent a mail 
to you pointing this out. Please read RFC 2418, and please stop this type 
of communication on the wg list. Please instead keep to technical issues, 
and try not to express frustration, emotion, etc. in your comments.

John Strassner
WG Co-Chair, LDUP WG

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:15:19 -0800

At 07:00 PM 3/1/2001 -0800, John Strassner wrote:
Second, I thought you had agreed to stop making derisive, inflammatory 

>discussions only, not for expressing insults.

I mostly just lurk on the LDUP list, but I've been involved with standards 
development for about 12 years now in a wide variety of organizations 
(CCITT, ISO, Open Group, XAPIA, EMA, IETF, etc.).  It's been a while since 
I've seen anything like this.  (I think that I'll make the meeting in Utah, 
buy me a root beer then, and I'll tell you about it).  I have to agree very 
strongly with John!  Make your technical arguments here.  If people don't 
agree with you, that's their loss.  If you think that people don't 
understand what you're saying, don't indicated that they are stupid or 
"confused".  Write up a draft of your own and submit it as a personal 
submission.

I'll go back to lurking now... Bruce

==============================================
Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com
See my new Book on Internet Directories: 
http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0139744525.html