Subject: req't, security related comments (CORRECTED)

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:12:32 -0700

[this post corrects a few typos including a key reference]

I suggest the term "data privacy" be replaced with "data
confidentiality" within the requirements document as
"data privacy" is somewhat confusing.  I highly recommend
use of RFC 2828 terminology be used in describing security
requirements.

> S1.  During initiation of a replication session, authentication and
> verification of authorization of both the replica and the source
> directory MUST be allowed before any data is transferred.

I would suggest a cleaner wording:

S1.  The protocol MUST support mutual authentication and verification
of authorization of the protocol's peers before allowing
replication data transfer.

> S2.  The transport for LDAP synchronization MUST permit assurance of
> the integrity and privacy of all data transferred.

S2.  The replication protocol MUST support transfer of data with
integrity and confidentiality protection.

(I note this broadens the requirement)

> S3.  To promote interoperability, there MUST be a mandatory-to-
> implement data privacy mechanism.

S3.  To promote interoperability, there MUST be a mandatory-to-implement
data integrity and confidentiality protection mechanism.

> S4. The transport for administrative access MUST permit assurance of
> the integrity and privacy of all data transferred.

Due to the rewording of S2, this would be redundant.

5.  Security Considerations
> As noted in Section 3, security may be impacted when replicating
> among servers that implement non-standard extensions to basic
> LDAP semantics.

I note that security is also impacted by servers implementing
standard extensions as well as differing optional features of the
"core" protocol as well as by implementing same features in
different ways.

That is, the section 3 section:
> Interoperability among directories using LDUP replication may be
> limited for implementations that add semantics beyond those specified
> by the LDAP core documents (RFC 2251-2256, 2829, 2830).

I believe this should be broaden to say:
  Interoperability among directories using LDUP replication may be
  limited for implementations that add semantics beyond those specified
  by the LDAP core documents (RFC 2251-2256, 2829, 2830), or implement
  differing sets of optional features of the LDAP, or implement them
  in differently.

I don't see why the document doesn't just say:
  Interoperability between independently developed server
  implementations of LDAP using LDUP may be limited as LDAP
  has numerous optional features and extensions and allows
  for a wide range of implementation behavior.

Kurt