Subject: Announcement: new version of LCUP

From: [email-masked] (Rich Megginson)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 05:37:19 -0600

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-megginson-ldup-lcup-00.txt
OR if it has been officially renamed -
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldup-lcup-00.txt

The major change is that the previous version of LCUP restricted LCUP
searches to a replica as defined by LDUP.  The new version
of LCUP removes that restriction.  The client may receive a continuation
reference if the search crosses a replica boundary or
some other similar type of boundary - the implementation does not depend
on LDUP.  The client may receive multiple cookies per
search, and will have to manage those cookies.  The cookies correspond
to the LDAP URL returned in the continuation reference.

For other changes, see the last section.  Here is a summary of the
changes:

     Added the definition for Unique Identifier (basically copied from
     the LDUP model doc http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-
     ietf-ldup-model-06.txt.  I needed to add the definition here
     because LCUP needs a Unique Identifier but should not be dependent
     on LDUP.

     Removed all normative references to LDUP.  I've left the
     implementation suggestions that refer to LDUP, but LCUP should not
     be dependent on LDUP.

     Cleaned up the protocol flows.

     Removed this text from section 4.8: "Clients MUST NOT issue
     multiple synchronization requests on the same connection. This is
     because the protocol includes an extended operation and it would
     be impossible to decide which synchronization session it belongs
     to." - This is no longer true, since the extended operation now
     includes the message ID of the search request.

     Added section 12.  Acknowledgements

     Removed normative references to documents not depended on.

     Removed explicit references to software vendors.

    Section 4.1 - Changed ClientUpdateControlValue to remove the
    keepConnection and changesOnly fields and replace them with
    updateType which is an ENUMERATED with three values:
    synchronizeOnly, synchronizeAndPersist, and persistOnly.

    Section 4.2 - The EntryUpdateControlValue fields stateUpdate and
    entryDeleted no longer have DEFAULT values, they must be specified
    û this eliminates any potential ambiguity.

    Added this text to the description of the entryDeleted field
    (section 4.2): "The server SHOULD also set this to TRUE if the
    entry has left the clients search result set.  As far as the client
    is concerned, a deleted entry is no different than an entry which
    has left the result set."
    Section 4.2 - Added an explanation of the concept and requirement
    for the Unique Identifier.

    Section 4.4 - Added to the extended operation a request value
    containing the message id of the operation to stop.

    Updated contact information for Olga.

    Removed Michael Armijo and added Jeff Parham as an author.