Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldup-lcup-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 06:01:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP Duplication/Replication/Update Protocols Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: LDAP Client Update Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Megginson et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldup-lcup-02.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 29-Nov-01
	
This document defines the LDAP Client Update Protocol (LCUP). The 
protocol is intended to allow an LDAP client to synchronize with the 
content of a directory information tree (DIT) stored by an LDAP 
server and to be notified about the changes to that content.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldup-lcup-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ldup-lcup-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldup-lcup-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:24:34 -0800

The lcupCookieScheme attribute type:
  ( OID-TBD NAME 'lcupCookieScheme' EQUALITY objectIdentifierMatch
    SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.38 NO-USER-MODIFICATION
    USAGE directoryOperation ) 

has a syntax (OID) doesn't match the description in the I-D (OID + DN).
I believe it USAGE likely should be dsaOperation as cookie support
for an entry may differ between copies of the entries (in different
replicas).

Also, I guess I do get why this attribute needs a) be accessible from
entries with the DIT and b) why there needs to a DN component.

Given that there that the server maintain any state on behalf of the
client, why would it matter which supported cookie scheme was used?

And it seems kind of pointless to provide a limited discovery
mechanism (complete subtree only) as to which portions of the
DIT the server might support LCUP upon. Seems it would be far
easier (and quite harmless) just for the client to initiate LCUP
and for the server to return an appropriate error if it cannot
process the request.

Kurt