Subject: WG Last Call: LDAPv3 Operation Framing and Grouping Drafts

From: Christopher Apple <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:09:24 -0500

The purpose of this message is to initiate the LDUP
working group last call on two documents:

1) Profile for Framing LDAPv3 Operations

2) LDAPv3: Grouping of Related Operations

WHICH DOCUMENTS?

The documents in last call are:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldup-framing-profile-00.t
xt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zeilenga-ldap-grouping-02.txt

WHAT IS A LAST CALL FOR?

The purpose of the working group last call is to ensure
that the working group has reached consensus on the
documents, believes that all the known outstanding issues
have been addressed, and is ready to put the documents
forward for proposed standard status.

During the last call, any comments on the documents are
collected and discussed on the mailing list.

HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?

The last call starts today and will last approximately three
weeks. It will end on Friday, November 30, 2001.

WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP?

After the last call completes, there are three possible
outcomes:

1) No changes are required and we request our ADs to put
   forward the documents to the IESG for proposed standard
   status.

2) Minor changes agreed to on the list are required, and
   the document is revised. We then ask our ADs to put
   forward the revised document to the IESG for
   proposed standard status.

3) Major issues are raised and no consensus is reached on
   the list. In this case, we discuss things until consensus
   is reached, at which time another working group last call
   will be issued.

Assuming we achieve outcome 1) or 2), and that the ADs
agree with our assessment, the next stop for the documents
is with the IESG. The IESG reads them and may approve the
documents (with or without changes), or send the documents
back to the working group to have major issues addressed.

If the first outcome happens, the documents are put forward
for a last call to the entire IETF of a duration appropriate
for the type of document, and after successful completion
the documents are published as RFCs with proposed standard status.

If the second outcome happens, we go back and address
the issues, putting the documents forward again when we
believe they're ready.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?

You should read the documents, making sure that 1) there
are no problems or deficiencies or outstanding issues that
need to be resolved; and 2) that there are no typos,
formatting problems, grammatical errors, etc.

Any substantive problems you find, you should send to the
list. Any minor problems (typos, etc.) you may send to the
list or just to the authors. If, for some reason, you have
comments you don't want to send to the entire list, you may
send them to me and/or LDUP WG co-chair John Strassner.

Silence means consent.

Read, enjoy, and send your comments in!

regards,
Chris Apple and John Strassner

Chris Apple
Program Manager - Integration Services
United Messaging Inc.
<http://www.unitedmessaging.com>
<mailto:[email-masked]> 
(V) +1 610 425 2860

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:39:44 -0800

>2) LDAPv3: Grouping of Related Operations

Just out of curiosity, what LDAP server vendors are planning on supporting 
the functions supplied by these drafts/

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 17:27:02 -0800

At 03:39 PM 2001-11-02, Bruce Greenblatt wrote:
>Just out of curiosity, what LDAP server vendors are planning on supporting the functions supplied by these drafts/

Both of these I-Ds provide mechanisms for future functions,
including LDUP (uses framing), Transactions (uses grouping),
and Proxy Authorization (uses grouping).  Given this WG
existence, I assume there are multiple vendors interested
in implementing LDUP.  I have heard significant interest
expressed by vendors in Transactions (using grouping).  As
a Proxy Authorization (using grouping) I-D hasn't been
written, I won't bothered to gauge interest yet. 

Kurt