Subject: RE: naming contexts

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 17:09:50 -0800

For additional clarify...

At 04:30 PM 2001-12-06, Steven Legg wrote:
>Strictly speaking, C holds no naming contexts because it only
>has shadow entries. Its namingContexts attribute should be absent.

RFC 2256, 5.2.1. namingContexts
   The values of this attribute correspond to naming contexts
   which this server masters or shadows. 

I should note that the next sentence could be taken to
mean that a LDAP server mastering no entries may have
no namingContexts attribute in the root DSE.
   If the server does not master any information
   (e.g. it is an LDAP gateway to a public X.500 directory) 
   this attribute will be absent.

Should s/master/hold/ to be consistent with preceeding line
and RFC 2251:
   - namingContexts: naming contexts held in the server. Naming contexts
     are defined in section 17 of X.501 [6].

Please note that verb "hold" (or variant) when applied to an
entry (or context), unless qualified, implies the server
contains either a master or shadow copy.

Kurt

---

From: "Steven Legg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:31:03 +1100

Kurt,

> contains either a master or shadow copy.

Hmmm. I took "hold" to mean only a master. We should explicitly
spell out that we mean both naming contexts mastered by the server and
naming contexts shadowed by the server.

Regards,
Steven