Subject: LCUP Issue: UUID

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:48:46 -0600

The syntax of UUID is directory string, and moreover, the matching rule
is case ignore match. I see this as overly limiting and suggest that the
syntax be changed to octet string. This is made even more apparent by
the fact that this document leaves standardization of the value
generation to a future specification.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:22:21 -0700

>generation to a future specification.

I suggest a couple of comments regarding UUID.

First and foremost, UUID support needs to be mandatory.  The
protocol won't work otherwise.

I also suggest that, instead of returning the UUID as an
attribute value (which are subject to normal access controls),
it should be returned within the control (which *should* be
subject to some kind of access restrictions).  This to
avoid having to deal with no UUID as being a valid
response to a CRITICAL update request.  Instead, if the
server is unwilling to provide the UUID, the CRITICAL
request will fail.

I do believe a specification of how the server represents
UUIDs (and CSNs) in the directory should be standardized,
but suggest this be done in a separate document... as,
if UUIDs are passed in the control, LCUP doesn't depend
on the particulars representation in the DIT.

For the specifications of entryUUID (and entryCSN) I suggest
using either octetString/octetStringMatch or UUID/UUIDMatch
(where UUID was a constrained OCTET STRING with a string
syntax).  I prefer the latter.

There is no need to leave the string syntax up to future
standardization.  ISO/IEC 11578:1996 can be referenced.

Kurt