Subject: LCUP: operational attributes

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 21:48:58 -0600

Along with the issue Kurt raised in the message "LCUP: collective
attributes, subentries, etc", we need to state how updates to
operational attributes (both stored and not stored) affect LCUP. There
are different classes of this:
1) A server internally increments a numSubordinates attribute on the
parent of an entry being added or deleted (server responding to client
action)
2) A server modifies replication-related information (server responding
to bilateral processes)
3) A server updates the state of a transitional attribute (response to
an internal, timed operation)
4) An entire set of operations like those above that affect the value
of an operational attribute, but the value is generated dynamically,
only when read by a client.
5) A client updates an operational attribute.

We should also discuss any differences in behavior among the three
different types of operational attribute (directoryOperation,
distributedOperation, dSAOperation).

Jim

---

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 21:48:45 -0600

#4 could happen for things like a "dynamicMember" attribute which is
built when the attribute is read. It can also happen for many attributes
on the root DSE, or attributes that are used to read statistics, usages,
etc.

Jim W. has already talked about #4

>>> "Liben, Michael (GTS)" <[email-masked]> 09/07/02 07:11AM
>>>
Under what circumstances might 'classes' 4 or 5 occur?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Sermersheim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 11:49 PM
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: LCUP: operational attributes

2) A server modifies replication-related information (server
responding

Jim