Subject: RE: LCUP: operational attributes

From: "Liben, Michael (GTS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 09:11:51 -0400

Under what circumstances might 'classes' 4 or 5 occur?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Sermersheim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 11:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LCUP: operational attributes

Along with the issue Kurt raised in the message "LCUP: collective
attributes, subentries, etc", we need to state how updates to
operational attributes (both stored and not stored) affect LCUP. There
are different classes of this:
1) A server internally increments a numSubordinates attribute on the
parent of an entry being added or deleted (server responding to client
action)
2) A server modifies replication-related information (server responding
to bilateral processes)
3) A server updates the state of a transitional attribute (response to
an internal, timed operation)
4) An entire set of operations like those above that affect the value
of an operational attribute, but the value is generated dynamically,
only when read by a client.
5) A client updates an operational attribute.

We should also discuss any differences in behavior among the three
different types of operational attribute (directoryOperation,
distributedOperation, dSAOperation).

Jim

---

From: Jim Willeke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:18:27 -0400

For class 5, I have clients that set operational attributes to 
work-around some feature not available in various LDAP server 
implementations.
One that is common is iPlanet 4.x, with a password policy inplace, the 
client needs to have some user entries never-expire, so thjey set the 
passwordexpirationtime to some date much in the future.
-jim