Subject: [UM] Draft BOF Charter

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:28:01 -0400

If we're going to get work done, we need a charter.  Here is something to
pick apart.

The most important issues are...  The name and chairs.

Unless we want a Friday afternoon slot in Yokohama, we need to get this to
Ned shortly.

Thanks.

--
- Eric

BOF Name
========
License to Enhance Messaging Oriented Network Access for Internet Devices
(LEMONAID)

BOF co-chairs
=============
Looking for volunteers; send me an e-mail!

Mailing List
============
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked], In Body: subscribe um
Archive: http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/um_archive/maillist.html

Proposed Charter
================
Internet Unified Messaging brings together the body of work currently
chartered in VPIM, IFAX, IMAPEXT, and other IETF work groups.  The goal is
to provide a single infrastructure, mailbox, and set of interfaces for a
user to get, respond to, and manipulate all of their messages from a
collection of clients with varying capabilities, no matter what the media or
source.  Initial work, in the VPIM and FAX WG for example, focused on the
server and network interactions and has resulted in a rich base of Internet
Mail standards to support unified messaging.  Now that this work is stable
in the industry, and with the proliferation of smaller and often mobile
Internet devices, the issues of client access to Internet Mail need to be
addressed.

Given the potentially broad scope of "unified messaging", this BOF will
focus on the following work items:

1.  Enhance message retrieval protocols to satisfy the requirements for
low-latency playback.

2. Extend message deposit and retrieval to satisfy the requirements for
low-bit-rate transports and limited-processing devices, such as mobile
endpoints.

3. Create appropriate message notification protocols to satisfy the need of
reporting the status of different message contexts.

The BOF will coordinate its efforts with the 3GPP TSG T WG2 SWG3 Messaging
<http://www.3gpp.org/TB/T/T2/T2.htm> and other appropriate entities, such as
the W3C Mulitmodal interaction Activity <http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/>.

While there is obvious synergy, given the end-of-life of the VPIM and FAX
work groups and the similar membership, the BOF does not expect to
coordinate with those groups.

If IMAP-EXT gets rechartered, then the BOF will coordinate the LEMONAID
requirements with IMAP-EXT.  Otherwise, this BOF will consider extensions to
IMAP for the purposes of LEMONAID support.

Reading List
============
    - draft-burger-imap-chanuse-00.txt
    - draft-burger-um-reqts-00.txt
    - draft-neystadt-imap-status-counters-00.txt
    - draft-shapira-snap-03.txt

    - draft-shveidel-mediasize-00.txt
    - draft-vaudreuil-futuredelivery-00.txt

    - draft-vaudreuil-um-issues-00.txt

Deep background reading

    - draft-nerenberg-imap-channel-01.txt
    - draft-nerenberg-imap-binary-02.txt

Milestones
==========
Oct 2002 - LEMONAID Requirements

Dec 2002 - Notification protocol

Mar 2003 - IMAP extensions for VM playback

Mar 2003 - IMAP extensions for mobile devices

-
This list is maintained by Snowshore Networks - http://www.snowshore.com
All comments on this list are the comments of the message originators and
Snowshore is not to be held responsible for any actions or comments found
on this list. The archives for this list can be found at
http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/um_archive/maillist.html

---

From: "Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:32:15 -0600

I believe a key thrust is the ability for endpoint clients to gain higher
level of network-based messaging service.... so I suggest: 

License to Enhance Messaging Oriented Network Access for Diverse Endpoints
(LEMONADE)

Greg V.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Burger [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 10:28 AM
To: IETF LEMONAID
Subject: [UM] Draft BOF Charter

Thanks.

--
- Eric

BOF Name
========

BOF co-chairs
=============

Mailing List
============

Proposed Charter
================

Reading List
============

Deep background reading

Milestones
==========

-

---

From: "Glenn Parsons" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:01:14 -0400

For the record, I originally suggested this name ... 

Profile of INternet mail with Knowledge and License to Enhance MObile
Network Access for unifieD mEssaging  :-)

But I think the latest suggestion is a better name.

Glenn.

> ----------
> From: 	Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)
> Sent: 	Monday, June 10, 2002 12:32 PM
> To: 	[email-masked]; IETF LEMONAID
> Subject: 	RE: [UM] Draft BOF Charter
> 
>