Subject: [UM] Revised Charter

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:02:39 -0400

Here is the charter, incorporating the comments from Claudio, Pete, and
Randall.

Please send your comments to me or the list (Glenn is having laptop
problems...).  We would like to close comments on 24 October.  Unless there
are serious deficiencies in the charter, we plan on asking for chartering
then.

License to Enhance Messaging Oriented Network Access for Diverse Endpoints
(lemonade)

Proposed Charter
================

Internet Unified Messaging brings together the body of work currently
chartered in VPIM, IFAX, IMAPEXT, and other IETF working groups.  It also
relates with the work of other bodies dealing with messaging services, such
as wireless SMS, MMS, etc.

The goal is to provide, over the Internet, a single infrastructure, mailbox,
and set of interfaces for a user to get, respond to, and manipulate all of
their messages from a collection of clients with varying capabilities, no
matter what the media or source is.  Initial work, in the VPIM and FAX WG
for example, focused on the server and network interactions and has resulted
in a rich base of Internet Mail standards to support unified messaging.  Now
that this work is stable in the industry, and with the proliferation of
smaller and often mobile Internet devices, the issues of client access to
Internet Mail need to be addressed.

Given the potentially broad scope of "unified messaging", this BOF will
focus specifically on the following work items:

1. Enhance message retrieval protocols to satisfy the requirements for
low-latency playback.

2. Extend or profile message deposit and retrieval to satisfy the
requirements for low-bit-rate, high latency, or poor transport networks and
limited-processing devices, such as mobile endpoints.

3. Create appropriate message notification protocols to satisfy the need of
reporting the status of different message contexts.

4. Extend message retrieval protocols to efficiently support
limited-capability devices, including data transformation services and other
appropriate server processing.

5. Define, where appropriate, translation between Internet Mail and other
messaging systems to share a common Internet mailbox service during the
other messaging systems' transition to using full Internet protocols.

The BOF will coordinate its efforts with the 3GPP TSG T WG2 SWG3 Messaging
<http://www.3gpp.org/TB/T/T2/T2.htm> and other appropriate entities, such as
the W3C Mulitmodal interaction Activity <http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/> and
the Open Mobile Alliance <http://www.openmobilealliance.org/>.

While there is obvious synergy, given the end-of-life of the VPIM and FAX
work groups and the similar membership, the BOF does not expect to
coordinate with those groups.

Milestones  (document completion)
==========
Nov 2002 - LEMONADE Requirements

Dec 2002 - Notification protocol

Mar 2003 - IMAP extensions for VM playback

Apr 2003 - IMAP extensions for mobile devices

Jun 2003 - Translation to other messaging systems

Current drafts  (grouped per milestone)
==============

    - draft-vaudreuil-um-issues-00.txt
    - draft-burger-um-reqts-00.txt
    - draft-wong-umcli-00.txt

    - draft-shapira-snap-03.txt

    - draft-burger-imap-chanuse-00.txt
    - draft-nerenberg-imap-channel-01.txt
    - draft-nerenberg-imap-binary-02.txt

    - draft-neystadt-imap-status-counters-00.txt
    - draft-shveidel-mediasize-00.txt
    - draft-vaudreuil-futuredelivery-00.txt

-
This list is maintained by Snowshore Networks - http://www.snowshore.com
All comments on this list are the comments of the message originators and
Snowshore is not to be held responsible for any actions or comments found
on this list. The archives for this list can be found at
http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/um_archive/maillist.html

---

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:14:00 +0100

Ok for me!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Claudio Allocchio             G   A   R   R          [email-masked]
                        Project Technical Officer
tel: +39 040 3758523      Italian Academic and       G=Claudio; S=Allocchio;
fax: +39 040 3758565        Research Network         P=garr; A=garr; C=it;

     PGP Key: http://security.fi.infn.it/cgi-bin/spgpk.pl?KeyId=0C5C2A09

-

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:07:01 -0500

I've still got two problems:

>other messaging systems' transition to using full Internet protocols.

I still don't like this. This assumes that what you've got is a 
"transition" from some non-Internet Mail protocol to support. It may 
be the case that some of the folks that we're talking about simply 
scrap the idea of using a proprietary solution up front and won't 
need a transition at all. It also assumes that Internet Mail is going 
to be acceptable to the messaging systems without any changes. That's 
probably not true. That's why I suggested mentioning that we 
primarily define extensions or profiles for use with these systems, 
and secondarily provide translation gateways where such extensions or 
profiles are not sufficient for the need.

>the Open Mobile Alliance <http://www.openmobilealliance.org/>.

Again, I would prefer if specific groups weren't cited. I think it 
would perfectly well suffice to say "The BOF will coordinate its 
efforts with other standards bodies which work in the field of mobile 
and multimodal messaging." However, if you insist on keeping the 
list, I know that 3GPP2 TSG-N has proposals on the table that are not 
at all what 3GPP is doing and I think it would be inappropriate to 
mention the others without mentioning 3GPP2.

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102
-
This list is maintained by Snowshore Networks - http://www.snowshore.com
All comments on this list are the comments of the message originators and
Snowshore is not to be held responsible for any actions or comments found
on this list. The archives for this list can be found at
http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/um_archive/maillist.html

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:26:43 -0700

>  the Open Mobile Alliance <http://www.openmobilealliance.org/>.

Maybe we should also add 3GPP2 TSG-N <http://3gpp2.org/Public_html/N/index.cfm>
-