Subject: [lemonade] (no subject)

From: Mendelovich Meir <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:23:15 +0300

Hi,
 I tested my GPRS round trips. Unsurprisingly, the results where worse than
CDMA1X. The main reason is that in GPRS the mobile station has to ask the
cell to allocate out-going slots for him. For that reason, the first pings
where very slow (1300ms-1800ms) and the following where much better
(~800ms). Every few seconds, the network had one or two bad pings and then
return to the good results.
I used my Nokia 6310i that is connected to my laptop using IR. I pinged the
first router on the operator's side. Pinging the operator's web servers
(cellcom.co.il) didn't add much latency. The results: Minimum = 601ms,
Maximum =  1822ms, Average =  821ms.

	Meir :->

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Crispin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 11:44 PM
To: Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)
Cc: Randall Gellens; IETF LEMONADE (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [lemonade] Wireless latencies

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg) wrote:
> Using my LG CDMA phone (qualcomm chipset) on the Verizon 1xRTT network 
> using the 14.4 data channel (not the high-speed data) and pinging the 
> first router after the wireless link with 100 byte packets, over 100 
> samples, I measured a high of 598, a low of 441, and an average of 532 
> milliseconds.  This was with "five bars" of signal strength. 
> End-to-end round-trips to the likes of a www.yahoo.com site are some 
> 60 ms or so higher.

I averaged 516ms (min of 455ms, max of 756ms but I think Pine may have been
doing a NOOP over IMAP at that time) pinging www.yahoo.com with 100 byte
packets via CDPD from a ferry boat (not optimal characteristics...). This
suggests that something is wrong with your CDMA facility for you to be
getting 75ms worse with a full-strength connection, especially since CDMA is
superior technology.

Of course, at 14.4 it isn't unreasonable see a few hundred ms of ping times
for 100 byte packets.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate. Si
vis pacem, para bellum. _______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade