Subject: [lemonade] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-lemonade-goals-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:50:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Goals for Internet Messaging to Support Diverse 
                          Service Environments
	Author(s)	: J. Wong
	Filename	: draft-ietf-lemonade-goals-00.txt
	Pages		: 33
	Date		: 2003-6-24
	
The mission of LEMONADE -- Internet Messaging to support diverse service 
environments -- is to provide a set of enhancements and profiles to Internet email to facilitate operation on platforms with constrained resources, or communications links with high latency or limited bandwidth. The enhanced mail service must continue to support conventional environments seamlessly. 
The primary driver for this effort is, by making Internet mail protocols 
richer and more media and environment-savvy, to allow their use over the 
mobile Internet.   
Stressing the needs of wireless handheld devices, a discussion is given of what is required of Internet messaging protocols to enable the support of multimedia messaging on limited capability messaging clients in diverse service environments. Also included is a list of general principles to guide the design of the enhanced messaging protocols. Finally, some issues around providing seamless service between enhanced Internet email and the existing separate mobile messaging infrastructure are briefly listed. 
Discussion of this and related drafts are on the LEMONADE WG email list. To subscribe, send the message 'subscribe' to [email-masked]. The public archive is in the directory at: 
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mailing-lists/lemonade/

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-goals-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-lemonade-goals-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-goals-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.