Subject: [lemonade] Channel Update

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 03:25:09 -0800

Folks, I've just sent in an updated version of the Channel draft. The 
major changes are:

* revert to the base spec (usage document is split out)

* rationalize grammar against RFC 3501 (IMAP)

* further grammar changes to incorporate URI-type elements into IMAP 
astrings in order to simplify (I hope) parsing this stuff

* clarify schemes and URIs in the context of the grammar and protocol

That said, the protocol and grammar are still a bit fuzzy. The use of 
<astring> versus "(" ")" lists isn't as consistent as I would like, 
therefore the protocol police should rip the grammar to shreds and 
regularize it with 3501 further than my late night effort managed to 
achieve.

The document needs a section describing how URIs should be interpreted 
(on both ends). I think URI interpretation should be very open ended; 
flexibility is a must if this is to work usefully in the field. But the 
document needs a section to give guidance to implementers on how to 
interpret those URIs. especially in the context of partially-formed 
URIs -- something we will be instigators of, in this context. (See my 
lame FTP example in the memo for an idea of what I'm getting at.)

--lyndon

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade