Subject: [lemonade] proxies

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:37:34 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

I have read Greg's message about proxies many times.

The same arguments for using a proxy for push can also be used for using a 
proxy with pull.  I do not see any circumstance in which the use of a 
proxy favors either pull or push.

However, there is a question about implementation.

I have implemented multiple IMAP servers and IMAP proxies.  I have also 
implement an SMTP server and an SMTP proxy.  Few other individuals in the 
world have done all of this.

Speaking from this experience, the implementation of an IMAP proxy is a 
very large and complex task, involving a substantial amount of work (more 
than an IMAP server).  Unlike SMTP, IMAP does not function well with 
"pass-through" proxies.

I doubt very much that many (if any) sites will find the implementation of 
an IMAP proxy to be a viable means to achieve rapid deployment of push.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade