Subject: Re: [lemonade] Interim meeting

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:06:21 -0500

I don't have any dog in this hunt, but wouldn't a telephone conference 
be a reasonable middle ground in between the mailing list and a 
physical meeting?

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:15:47 +0100

> be a reasonable middle ground in between the mailing list and a 

I would prefer this as well.

Alexey

__________________________________________
Isode Limited, http://www.isode.com

IETF standard related pages:
http://www.melnikov.ca/mel/devel/Links.html

Personal Home Page: http://www.melnikov.ca
__________________________________________

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:23:13 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>> I don't have any dog in this hunt, but wouldn't a telephone conference be 
>> a reasonable middle ground in between the mailing list and a physical 
>> meeting?

As would I.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 09:59:37 -0800

At 10:06 PM -0500 3/31/04, Glenn Parsons wrote:

>  I am hoping the debate will happen before this meeting on the mailing list.

So the idea is to debate and reach rough consensus on push-vs-pull on 
the mailing list, then meet face to face to progress specific 
proposals and prepare drafts, so that they can be submitted for WGLC 
in advance of San Diego?

If so, I'd support this, as I want to get this work done as quickly 
as possible.  I'd even suggest that we may have rough consensus now, 
on pull.  I've seen a number of detailed, well-thought-out calls to 
use pull, many from implementors, and very few calls for push.   Am I 
being overly optimistic?

I'm available to work on specific proposals as well as the resulting draft.

As to mailing list versus conference call versus face to face, I 
think the trade-offs are clear:

mailing list
- very convenient; no need to travel; can stay on normal sleep schedule
- does not require that everyone participate at same time; easy to schedule
- can be very slow
- off-line collaboration between participants done in separate 
emails, calls, visits

conference call
- no need to travel
- does require everyone to participate at same time; moderately 
difficult to schedule
- may need to adjust sleep schedule depending on specific time
- off-line collaboration between participants very limited and difficult
- works best with small number of people
- best limited to short duration (< 2 hours) but can be repeated on 
different days

face to face
- requires travel
- requires everyone to participate at same time; difficult to schedule
- usually requires adjustment to sleep schedule
- off-line collaboration between participants done during breaks

I'd be happy to participate in any of these in order to advance this work.
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
What is mind?  No matter.
What is matter?  Never mind.
        --Thomas Hewitt Key, 1799-1875

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 15:13:46 +0100

Randall Gellens wrote:

> As to mailing list versus conference call versus face to face, I think 
> the trade-offs are clear:
>
> mailing list
> - off-line collaboration between participants done in separate emails, 
> calls, visits
>
> conference call
> - no need to travel

MARID WG is also practicing weekly Jabber sessions.

Alexey