Subject: [lemonade] Mobile synchronization issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:32:34 -0500

I do not believe the current set of drafts address directly the primary mobile synchronization issues. I believe a full solution must cover:
1) Multi-Folder monitoring
2) Mitigate the N*M algorithm typically used at sync time.
3) Folder events
4) Expunge Events
5) New mail events
6) Smoothed connection loss caused by the carrier
7) Reduce the set of visible messages per folder

Below are the personal drafts that address these issues along with their abstracts. A goal of these drafts was to address the problem specifically with a minimum of variation from the current IMAP RFCs. Clearidle and Checkpoint address the first 6 above. Number 7 is addressed by Msgfilter.

Clearidle (See attached)
   The IMAPRev4 specification supports unsolicited responses being sent
   to a client at any time. The IDLE specification defines a way for a 
   client to sit in an idle connection waiting to receive these 
   responses. This document clarifies and extends the set of responses 
   that a client may receive while in the idle state. The desire is to 
   allow a client to predict exactly what set of unsolicited responses 
   it can rely on receiving when listening on an idle connection.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wener-lemonade-checkpoint-00.txt
   This document describes an IMAP extension that aids in allowing a 
   client to maintain mailbox synchronization without performing a deep
   sync after each connection. The goal is to minimize, but not 
   eliminate, the need for deep synchronizations. The extension defines
   a way for a client to receive and acknowledge state change responses
   from the server.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wener-lemonade-msgfilter-00.txt
   In a mobile environment it is often desirable to allow a user to
   restrict or constrain the set of messages that will be sent to
   the mobile device. There may be several reasons. The user may 
   not want to pay for the bandwidth consumed, they may not want to
   to consume memory on the phone or they may just want to restrict
   what they get "bothered" by while in a mobile environment. This
   draft defines a way to allow the user to restrict message sets per
   folder.

Mike
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade