Subject: Re: [lemonade] WGLC's

From: Philip Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:50:07 -0800

Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]> writes:
...
>The server has to check for URL validity anyway. The main question is - 
>should this cause IMAP protocol error, i.e. the server tries to decode 
>an invalid URL sent as a quoted string and fails (<"> <url> <">), 
>because some characters are not escaped, or should IMAP parsing succeed 
>and the URL be rejected during URL validity check.

If the question is "BAD" or "NO", I would say that if the base IMAP
syntax is invalid (e.g., bad quoting), then it should provoke a BAD, but
invalid URL syntax could provoke either BAD or NO, depending on the
implementation.  I don't think these drafts need to call that out
though, as that should follow from the syntax and context as an IMAP
extension.

The IMAP base spec doesn't (that I see) require the server to, for
example, throw away everything up to the next newline when it receives a
CREATE command with a misquoted mailbox name, so while it may be wise to
specifically mention that part of the URL syntax requirements, these
drafts have no business requiring servers to recover the parser state in
a particular way if the client sends a request with invalid IMAP or URL
syntax.

Philip Guenther

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade