Subject: RE: [lemonade] Fwd: Appeal of decision to standardize "Mapping Be tween the Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and Internet Mail"

From: "Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:53:11 -0500

After a side-bar conversation with Randy Gellens, I am now convinced that tunnelling between MMS systems through the Internet is not a goal of this document.  As such, I agree that dropping the un-mappable headers is a reasonable course forward.  

Greg V.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:02:16 +0100

On Fri Jun 24 20:53:11 2005, Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg) wrote:
> 
> After a side-bar conversation with Randy Gellens, I am now 
> convinced that tunnelling between MMS systems through the Internet 
> is not a goal of this document.  As such, I agree that dropping the 
> un-mappable headers is a reasonable course forward.  

If it's not a goal, then yes, indeed, they should be dropped - 
currently, section 2.1.3.2 states that:

    An 'X-Mms-Message-Id:' header, if present, SHOULD be retained in
    order to facilitate the case where an MMS message traverses the
    Internet prior to returning to an MMS system.  Such systems should
    be aware that X-headers might be removed during transit through
    Internet MTAs.

Perhap's that's why I'm so confused about this.

Dave.