Subject: [lemonade] RE: problems implementing RESETKEY GENURLAUTH and URLFETCH

From: Peter Coates <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:10:43 -0700

Actually the problem with GENURLAUTH is worse that I suggested.  It requires
that for each URL listed that is not hosted locally the server issue a
command to the hosting server to verify that the mailbox in question exists.
this is during the validation phase of the command.  then the URLs may
individually have to be proxied across.
 
I would like to be persuaded of the usefulness of allowing multiple
unrelated URLs in these commands before I go and do evil things to the code.
 
Peter

  _____  

From: Peter Coates [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: April 7, 2006 08:55
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: problems implementing RESETKEY GENURLAUTH and URLFETCH

I have problems with all three of these commands as they currently exist.
These are surmountable problems, but it is very ugly.
 
The problem stems from the architecture of our server as deployed in large
installations.
 
users and their mail stores are distributed over a number of servers.  users
(generally) connect to their home server.  If they select a folder which is
on another server, the commands are proxied across to the hosting server.
All commands are either executed locally (the normal case) or proxied in
their entirety.  There are some cases where the local server issues a
command to a remote server.  There is no case where a command is partially
proxied.
 
GENURLAUTH and URLFETCH can carry several URLs.  these URLs can be
unrelated.  this requires that parts of the command be proxied.  this is
pretty ugly  I don't suppose that it is possible to put in a restriction
that the URLs in these commands be restricted so that they all must refer to
the same user/mailbox...  It would be nice.
 
RESETKEY poses a problem of another kind.
 
the RESETKEY mailbox form of the command is not a problem.  The bare
RESETKEY command is.  It may require the local server to send the RESETKEY
to all the other hosts to reset their keys.  That is not very pretty.  I
suspect I have even less chance of persuading people that the the bare
RESETKEY is a poor idea.
 
Peter
 
Just trying to make my own life easier.
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade