Subject: [lemonade] Question about BURL document

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:06:54 +0100

RFC 3030 (CHUNKING) says:

   The BDAT command
   takes one required argument, the exact length of the data segment in
   octets.  The message data is sent immediately after the trailing <CR>
   <LF> of the BDAT command line.  Once the receiver-SMTP receives the
   specified number of octets, it will return a 250 reply code.

While BURL says:

   354 Waiting for additional BURL or BDAT commands

      A BURL command without the "LAST" modifier was sent.  The URL for
      this BURL command was successfully resolved, but the content will
      not necessarily be committed to persistent storage until the rest
      of the message content is collected.  For example, a Unix server
      may have written the content to a queue file buffer, but not yet
      performed an fsync() operation.  If the server loses power, the
      content can still be lost.

I thought that BDAT and BURL should behave almost identical. Differences 
such as this one will not help implementors, as it is so easy just to 
cut & paste BDAT code and modify it to support BURL.

There are currently no examples in BURL showing multiple BDAT/BURL, so 
the 354 response code doesn't appear in any example.
Can we change the BURL spec to return 250 in this case, to be the same 
as RFC 3030?

Alexey

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade