Subject: [lemonade] SURVEY: How does SEARCH match in your IMAP server?

From: Dan Karp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:23:29 -0700 (PDT)

We're collecting hard data to help refine an upcoming IMAP extension
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-i18n-10.txt).
If you're developing an IMAP server, it would be a *great* help if you
could take 3 minutes to answer a few questions about your server
implementation.  If you email responses back to me along with your
server's name and version, I'll compile the results.

Assume that you've just injected the following message into an empty
INBOX:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Music
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:53:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I love Mötley Crüe !
----------------------------------------------------------------------

For each of the following SEARCH requests, would your server match the
message, not match the message, return NO [BADCHARSET], or return some
other NO or BAD response?

A001 SEARCH BODY "love"

A002 SEARCH BODY "LOVE"

A003 SEARCH CHARSET "iso-8859-1" BODY {4}
Crüe

A004 SEARCH CHARSET "utf-8" BODY {5}
CrÃ¼e

A005 SEARCH CHARSET "iso-8859-1" BODY {4}
CRÜE

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:49:37 -0700 (PDT)

Your test examples aren't any good, because your message is in UTF-8 but 
you have texts that are claimed to be ISO 8859-1.  I will try to answer 
what I *think* you intended.

If my presumptions are wrong, then I reserve the right to change my 
answers.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Dan Karp wrote:
> server's name and version

UW imapd, version imap-2006 series unless noted otherwise.

> I love Mötley Crüe !

Presumably, you mean "I love M" 0xf6 "tley Cr" 0xfc "e"

> A001 SEARCH BODY "love"

matches

> A002 SEARCH BODY "LOVE"

matches

> A003 SEARCH CHARSET "iso-8859-1" BODY {4}

Presumably, you mean "Cr" 0xfc "e"

matches in all versions since imap-4.1

error in imap-4 and earlier (10+ year old US-ASCII only version)

> A004 SEARCH CHARSET "utf-8" BODY {5}

Presuably, you mean "Cr" 0xc3 0xbc "e"

matches in all versions since imap-4.1

error in imap-4 and earlier (10+ year old US-ASCII only version)

> A005 SEARCH CHARSET "iso-8859-1" BODY {4}

Presumably, you mean "CR" 0xdc "E"

matches in imap-2006 series.

does not match in earlier versions (earlier versions did i;ascii-casemap).

error in imap-4 and earlier (10+ year old US-ASCII only version)

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.