Subject: [lemonade] Deprecate IMAP IDLE?

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:15:28 -0400

In Prague, it was brought up that (1) some people consider IMAP IDLE to be
an ugly wart on IMAP, (2) the point of IMAP IDLE is for "in-band"
notifications, and (3) the IMAP NOTIFY method is a clean way of doing
"in-band" notifications.

Because of this, it was proposed that IMAP NOTIFY would supercede IMAP IDLE,
leading to its deprecation.

What do we think of this?  As chair, my only care is whether we say it
obsoletes RFC 2177 or not.  I personally do not care if it obsoletes IDLE or
not.

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: "Stephane H. Maes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:07:59 +0000

I like it a lot!

Stephane
_____
Stephane H. Maes, PhD,
Director of Architecture, Mobile, Voice, and Communications Platforms, Oracle
Ph: +1-203-300-7786 (mobile/SMS/skype); Fax / Office UM: +1-650-607-6296.
e-mail: [email-masked]
IM: shmaes (AIM/Y!) or [email-masked] (MSN Messenger) or [email-masked] (Google)  

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:15:28 
To:"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: [lemonade] Deprecate IMAP IDLE?

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:42:18 -0700 (PDT)

> notifications, and (3) the IMAP NOTIFY method is a clean way of doing

All true, but...

> obsoletes RFC 2177 or not.  I personally do not care if it obsoletes IDLE or

I strongly oppose this, even while I agree with the underlying sentiment.

IMHO, it is out of charter for LEMONADE to deprecate IDLE, much less 
obsolete RFC 2177.  IDLE is used by applications other than mobile 
devices.

Deprecating IDLE may be in charter for IMAPEXT, but I doubt that at this 
late stage IMAPEXT will want to deal with it.

I recommend that this is a sleeping dog that is best allowed to lie.  As 
desirable as it may be, it is work for a future WG.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:50:10 +0200

Eric Burger writes:
> Because of this, it was proposed that IMAP NOTIFY would supercede IMAP 
> IDLE, leading to its deprecation.
>
> obsoletes RFC 2177 or not.

I think obsoleting 2177 is out of scope for Lemonade. All Lemonade 
can/should do is say things in profile-bis.

Arnt

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:55:23 -0500

On 4/8/07 at 4:42 PM -0700, Mark Crispin wrote:

>Deprecating IDLE may be in charter for IMAPEXT, but I doubt that at 
>this late stage IMAPEXT will want to deal with it.

What he said.

The IMAPEXT chair.
-- 
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102