Subject: [lemonade] Initial comments on draft-ietf-lemonade-notifications-04.txt

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:58:47 +0100

Hi Randy,
Thank you for the update.

I've done some quick scan through the document, mostly concentrating on 
classifying references and checking how they are used.
My comments are below:

    5.  Capability

    A server supporting Lemonade notifications MUST report the following
    set of capabilities:  IDLE, METADATA, LISTEXT, LNOTIFICATION,
    VFOLDER.

This list if out-of-date:
s/LISTEXT/LIST-EXTENDED.
Should VFOLDER be dropped or replace with CONTEXT?
Need to review what LNOTIFICATION does and whether it needs to be 
replaced with something. (Sorry, I didn't have time to check this)

    14.4.  Notification payloads
 [...]
     #    Realize the messaging mecanisms

typo: mechanisms

Later in the same section:

s/Login to mailbox/Mailbox open ?

A similar change regarding Logout.

(Login/Logout have a different meaning in IMAP)

s/Delete Message/Mark message as deleted ? (to match IMAP)

"Mailbox full cancellation" - what does this mean?

In general, the list of tasks needs to be reviewed and synchronized with 
Chris' draft on message event types.

Later in the same section: reference [RFC-URL] is not defined.
I think both [RFC-URL] and [URLAUTH] needs to be replaced with a single 
reference pointing to 2192bis.

16.  Normative and Informative References
    [[ editor's note: split into two sections, update references ]]

    [ABNF] D. Crocker, et al. "Augmented BNF for Syntax Specifications:
    ABNF", RFC 2234, November 1997. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2234

Not referenced

    [ANNOTATEMORE] Daboo, C., "IMAP ANNOTATEMORE Extension", work in
    progress, draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-xx, (work in progress).

Normative

    [GSM03.40] GSM 03.40 v7.4.0 Digital cellular telecommunications
    system (Phase 2+); Technical realization of the Short Message
    Service (SMS).  ETSI 2000

This seems to be informative

    [IMAP-DISC] Melnikov, A. "Synchronization operations for
    disconnected IMAP4 clients", draft-melnikov-imap-disc-06.txt,
    October 2004.

Informative

    [IMAP-EVENTS] Melnikov, A. " Lemonade Inband Notifications",
    draft-melnikov-lemonade-imap-events-00.txt, June 17, 2006

Normative

    [IMAPSIEVE] Leiba, B., "Support for Sieve in Internet Message Access
    Protocol (IMAP4)", draft-ietf-lemonade-imap-sieve-0x (work in
    progress).

This seems to be informative but might become normative.
This depends on what the WG decides on use of Sieve in Lemonade.

    [LEMONADEPROFILE] Maes, S.H. and Melnikov A., "Lemonade Profile",
    draft-ietf-lemonade-profile-XX.txt, (work in progress).

I suggest dropping this one. It is used only in one place and it doesn't
have to be referenced. This reference is Informative at best.

    [LEMONADEPROFILEBIS] Maes, S.H., Melnikov A. and D. Cridland, "
    LEMONADE profile bis", draft-ietf-lemonade-profile-bis-xx.txt, (work
    in progress).

Normative

    [MANAGESIEVE] Martin, T. and A. Melnikov, "A Protocol for Remotely
    Managing Sieve Scripts", draft-martin-managesieve-xx.txt, (work in
    progress).

Normative.
Hmm, we need to decide if this reference would be needed for the 
Lemonade Profile Bis.

    [MSGEVENTS] Newman, C., "Internet Message Store Events", draft-
    newman-lemonade-msgevent-xx.txt, (work in progress).

Normative

    [NOTIFICATIONPROTOCOL] Maes, S.H., " Lemonade Notification protocol
    ", draft-ietf-lemonade-notification-protocol-xx.txt, (work in
    progress).

Normative

    [OMA-EN] Open Mobile Alliance Email Notification Version 1.0, August
    2002. http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/docs/EmailNot/OMA-
    Push-EMN-V1_0-20020830-C.pdf

This is normative. If the WG decides not to use EMN, then this reference
will go away.

    [OMA-ME-AD] Open Mobile Alliance Mobile Email Architecture Document,
    (Work in progress). http://www.openmobilealliance.org/

Not referenced

    [OMA-ME-RD] Open Mobile Alliance Mobile Email Requirement Document,
    (Work in progress). http://www.openmobilealliance.org/

Informative?

    [P-IMAP] Maes, S.H., Lima R., Kuang, C., Cromwell, R., Ha, V. and
    Chiu, E., Day, J., Ahad R., Jeong W-H., Rosell G., Sini, J., Sohn S-
    M., Xiaohui F. and Lijun Z., "Push Extensions to the IMAP Protocol
    (P-IMAP)", draft-maes-lemonade-p-imap-xx.txt, (work in progress).

Informative

    [RECONNECT] A. Melnikov, C. Wilson, "IMAP4 Extensions for Quick

Add an empty line after this.
The definition seems to be truncated. This needs to point to
draft-ietf-lemonade-reconnect-client-03.txt

    [RFC2177] Leiba, B. "IMAP4 IDLE Command", RFC 2177, June 1997.
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2177.

Normative.
After Barry saying that IMAP NOTIFY should obsolete IDLE, should
we at least add a reference to IMAP NOTIFY?

    [RFC3501] Crispin, M. "IMAP4, Internet Message Access Protocol
    Version 4 rev1", RFC 3501, March 2003.
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3501

This is only used in one sentence, but I don't think the sentence gives
any information. So I suggest to remove the sentence.

However, it seems that the ABNF section needs a reference to RFC 3501,
in which case this will become a normative reference.

    [SIEVE] SIEVE WG, http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/sieve-
    charter.html

I suggest to replace this with 3028bis.
This seems to be Normative.

    [SIEVENOTIFICATIONS] Melnikov, A., "Sieve -- An extension for
    providing instant notifications", draft-ietf-sieve-notify-XX.txt,
    (work in progress)

Not referenced

    [URLAUTH] Crispin, M. and Newman, C., "Internet Message Access
    Protocol (IMAP) - URLAUTH Extension", draft-ietf-lemonade-urlauth-
    XX.txt, (work in progress).

Normative.
I think this is should be replaced with 2192bis.

    [VFOLDER] Maes, S. and et Al., "Persistent Search Extensions and
    Virtual Folder to the IMAP Protocol", draft-maes-lemonade-vfolder-
    0x, (work in progress).

Normative.
Replace with a reference to IMAP CONTEXT?

    [WAPWDP] Wireless Datagram Protocol, Version 14-Jun-2001, Wireless
    Application Protocol WAP-259-WDP- 20010614-aWAP (WDP)

Informative

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade