Subject: [lemonade] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-lemonade-convert-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Enhancements to Internet email to Support Diverse Service Environments Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IMAP CONVERT extension
	Author(s)	: S. Maes, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-lemonade-convert-08.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2007-5-18
	
CONVERT defines extensions to IMAP allowing clients to request 
   adaptation and/or transcoding of attachments. Clients can specify the 
   conversion details or allow servers to decide based on knowledge of 
   client capabilities, on user or administrator preferences or its 
   settings.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-convert-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-lemonade-convert-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-convert-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:00:48 +0100

>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-convert-08.txt
Changes from -07 and my comments:

   - Updated the document to use the media feature IANA registry 
established by RFC 2506

Nobody suggested a reason not to use RFC 2506, so the document was 
updated accordingly

   - Allow for conversion to non-leaf body parts

As per discussion during the Lemonade interim, I've updated ABNF to 
allow for that.

   - Removed .STRICT (all conversion is strict now)

Please check the new text. I am still waiting for a paragraph from Pete 
describing that a compliant server should not try to be helpful and 
guess things about the client unless explicitly allowed to.

   - Added replace-unknown-character media feature tag

This mostly based on the long mailing list discussion about charset 
conversions. I've decided that clients might want to have both: "convert 
the charset, but only if all characters can be preserved" and "convert 
the charset and replacing characters that can't be converted is Ok". So 
I've added a new conversion parameter.

==========
It is worth noting that -07 had one more open issue that resulted in no 
change to the document: use of METADATA extension versa new command(s).
This was discussed during the Lemonade interop. Dan Karp send me a 
private email asking if it would be worth replacing dependency on 
METADATA with a new command. His main argument was about ugly syntax 
which is not very easy to understand, plus a requirement to implement an 
additional extension.
The latter is a non issue for Lemonade, as Lemonade Profile bis is 
likely to depend on METADATA extension anyway.

I would note that consensus on this was particularly rough. Most people 
treated this as a syntactic issue.

So at this point I would advise:

1). Anybody who has a strong preference one way or the other should 
speak up now.
2). Dan should correct me if I misrepresented or forgot one of his 
important arguments against using METADATA.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:03:45 +0100

>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-convert-08.txt
Due to the number of changes to the document, I would like to start 
another 2 weeks Working Group Last Call.
Please send your comments to me and/or to the mailing list before June 6th.