Subject: [lemonade] QRESYNC and UIDPLUS

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:34:55 -0500

In case you missed it, Alexey was asking in the thread, "concerns with
draft-ietf-lemonade-reconnect-client-04.txt":

On 5/23/07 6:37 PM, "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]> wrote:
[snip] 
> Having said that I would like to poll the WG regarding making QRESYNC
> require UIDPLUS.

Thoughts?

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:33:40 +0100

On Sun Jun 17 15:34:55 2007, Eric Burger wrote:
> [snip] > Having said that I would like to poll the WG regarding 
> making QRESYNC
> > require UIDPLUS.
> 
> 
> Thoughts?

Thoughts as a contributor rather than editor:

I don't see the need to mandate UIDPLUS in QRESYNC. There is no 
technical dependency - the only time QRESYNC mentions UIDPLUS is in 
talking about changing the UID EXPUNGE command to emit a VANISHED 
response instead of EXPUNGE responses. UID EXPUNGE is not required by 
QRESYNC, it's merely included as an interaction issue, not a 
dependency.

UIDPLUS, of course, remains a Good Idea to implement, and I'd be 
frankly astonished if a QRESYNC implementation didn't support 
UIDPLUS, but the protocol described in QRESYNC does not depend on it, 
it merely changes it in a very minor way if present.

Mandating an artificial dependency because it's a Good Idea is 
something that Profile can, and does, do. Consider other extensions - 
URLAUTH is painful, if not outright useless, without UIDPLUS, yet we 
do not require it there - instead, we mandate it in the Profile - 
it's a much stronger case than QRESYNC/UIDPLUS.

Similarly, draft-cridland-imap-context does not mandate ESEARCH, 
although an implemention of CONTEXT without ESEARCH [and, soon, 
ESORT] would be tricky for a client to handle.

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade