Subject: [lemonade] CONVERT - Clients Do Not Know

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:04:09 -0700

<chair-hat on>
I would offer that we should be able to have consensus that clients CANNOT
know size estimates, as it is HIGHLY unlikely for clients to understand the
source format.  If they understand the source format, there is a good chance
they can accept the source format.

<chair-hat off>
I would like to ask a sanity check question: who REALLY is going to offer
the user the option of which converted-to format to download?  My assertion
is most of the time the device will decide for the user, i.e., "file is in
image/foo, I only understand image/png, so please convert," or, "image is
1960x1400 at 16-bit depth, I can only render 320x240 at 8-bit depth, so
please convert."

If Joe Average user is going to be asked, is he going to be asked anything
other than, "Do you want the original document or something you can read?"

Said another way, would it be correct to assert conversion was for display
size, audio/video quality, or object format, and NOT for transmission
optimization?

I am leaning towards Lyndon's position: since there is no real use case for
SIZE as an estimator, let us let the server only offer it to the client when
it knows the exact value, after conversion.

OTHERWISE, I would offer a mega ugly solution: include conversion ESTIMATES
in the BODYSTRUCTURE response.  That will save a bunch of RTTs.

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:35:44 +0300

Hi Eric,

>I would like to ask a sanity check question: who REALLY is 
>going to offer the user the option of which converted-to 
>format to download?  My assertion is most of the time the 
>device will decide for the user, i.e., "file is in image/foo, 
>I only understand image/png, so please convert," or, "image is 
>1960x1400 at 16-bit depth, I can only render 320x240 at 8-bit 
>depth, so please convert."

Do You mean format, size or both?