Subject: Re: [lemonade] IMAP NOTIFY and IDLE

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:29:09 +0200

Randall Gellens writes:
> At 5:47 PM +0100 7/23/07, Dave Cridland wrote:
>>  Then again, I'm also not convinced by the idea of pushing newly 
>>  delivered message content, either. Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned 
>>  stick-in-the-mud.
>
> I'm sorry, I must have missed something big.  Who suggested pushing 
> message content (newly delivered or not)?

I did. Notify does that right now.

The client can tell the server "when a new message arrives, give me its 
UID" or "when a new message arrives, give me its UID and message-id 
header field" or "when a new message arrives, give me its UID, flags 
and its from/to/cc/subject fields" or potentially even more.

Arnt

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:29:07 -0700

At 9:29 PM +0200 7/23/07, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

>  The client can tell the server "when a new message arrives, give me 
> its UID" or "when a new message arrives, give me its UID and 
> message-id header field" or "when a new message arrives, give me 
> its UID, flags and its from/to/cc/subject fields" or potentially 
> even more.

As discussed in the meeting, while there are cases where it makes 
sense to ask for BODY.[], I think this is a dangerous thing as 
clients can get overwhelmed.  I suggest adding a sentence or two to 
the document to discuss it and advising against getting the body 
except when the client really kows it makes sense.
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Being president is like running a cemetery: You've got a lot of
people under you and nobody's listening.
      -- William Jefferson Clinton