Subject: [lemonade] Comments on notify-06

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:52:15 -0700

----
Abstract:

OLD:
    unsolicited notifications

NEW:
    unsolicited notifications for specified mailboxes

----
Section 2:

New sentence to be added to end of first paragraph:

NEW:
    Also, IDLE only applies to the selected mailbox, thus requiring an 
additional TCP connection per mailbox.

----
Section 3:

OLD:
     If the notification would be prohibitively expensive for the server
     (e.g. "notify me of all flag changes in all mailboxes"), the server
     MAY refuse the command with a tagged NO [NOTIFICATIONOVERFLOW]
     response.

What does it mean if the notification would be prohibitively 
expensive but the server doesn't send a tagged NO with 
NOTIFICATIONOVERFLOW?  Presumably, if the server sends OK, it means 
the server will send the notifications anyway?  Or perhaps the server 
sends a tagged OK but then sends an untagged NOTIFICATIONOVERFLOW 
when it decides it is overloaded?  Also, I suppose the server could 
send a BAD or NO without NOTIFICATIONOVERFLOW.  This seems a bit 
fuzzy.  Presumably the idea of a tagged NO with NOTIFICATIONOVERFLOW 
is to inform the client that it should send a simpler request.  If 
so, this should be made more clear.  Although, I'm personally not 
sure how the client would do so, assuming the original request was 
made by seeing which mailboxes the user had specified as interesting.

----
Section 5.10. Notification Overflow

Similar point as above: what does the client do?  Wait a while and 
resend the NOTIFY command?  Send a simpler NOTIFY command?

----

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Modern man is the missing link between apes and human beings.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade