Subject: [lisp] Issue Title (number): Control Plane Performance (94)

From: Darrel Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:20:37 -0700

Issue Title (number): Control Plane Performance (94)
Draft Section: 4.1
Issue Description: Control plane performance
Comments:

Section 4.1

   In LISP 1.5, the packet is routed on a different topology
   which may have EID prefixes distributed and advertised in an
   aggregatable fashion. In either case, the packet arrives at the
   ETR. The router is configured to "punt" the packet to the
   router's processor.

Note that the packet is a data plane packet. That means that on ETR the control plane is used for data plane packet forwarding. What are the implications of this on control plane performance?

Response:

Dear Yakov-

Thank you for your contribution to draft-ietf-lisp-06.txt. The draft authors
have reviewed your comments but do not feel that changes to the document are
warranted at this time. An ETR implementation can rate-limit Map-Request 
packets to the control-plane. An ETR's control plane would only need to 
receive one of such packets to trigger  a Map-Reply. 
Please feel free to continue discussion of your issue on the 
LISP working group mailing list, [email-masked]. Should discussion result 
in WG consensus that changes are required, the authors will incorporate 
appropriate text into a future version of the draft.

	Thanks!
	Darrel, for the LISP document authors