Subject: [lisp] Issue Title (number): ETR Failure Restoration (55)

From: Darrel Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:07:28 -0700

Issue Title (number): ETR Failure Restoration (55)
Draft Section: ?
Issue Description: ETR failure on ITR restoration
Comments:

In today's routing global BGP convergence is NOT required for connectivity
restoration. In other words, IP connectivity restoration takes less time 
than what it takes to propagate fault information throughout the
Internet (or for that matter even throughout a site). With LISP
connectivity, restoration requires to propagate fault all the way
 to the ITRs. In addition, if one relies on Loc-Status-Bits to 
determine that a particular RLOC is down, connectivity restoration
would also require to propagate fault information from one ITR to another. 
In some case this may not be feasible (e.g., ETRs are PEs). And even
in the cases where it is feasible, that is likely to increase
connectivity restoration time.

Response:

Dear Yakov-

Thank you for your contribution to draft-ietf-lisp-06.txt. The draft authors
have reviewed your comments but are cannot determine whether changes should
be made to the document. We would like to make the comment that fault-detection in the data plane is much faster than queuing routing updates along the way from failure to all sources.  We would like to encourage you to please bring this issue to the LISP working group mailing list, [email-masked], for further discussion. Should the WG reach consensus that changes are required, the authors will incorporate appropriate text into a future version of the draft.

	Thanks!
	Darrel, for the LISP document authors