Subject: [lisp] Updated EEMDP proposal for managing holes in maps

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 17:27:02 -0400

Based on feedback from the March 2010 LISP WG meeting,
we have made changes and added more details to the 
EEMDP (Enhanced Efficiency of Mapping Distribution Protocols)
proposal. 

The revised set of slides is at:
http://www.antd.nist.gov/~ksriram/EEMDP_Slides_July2010.pdf 

The revised detailed document can be found at:
http://www.antd.nist.gov/~ksriram/EEMDP_ICCCN2010.pdf 

Changes include:
(1) Got rid of the idea of notifying the NML (Next More-Specific Length).
It was Case 4 in my IETF 77 (March 2010) slides, and didn't make sense.
Now Case 4 (see slide 14 in the revised set) is about
communicating a partial prioritized subset of more specifics (holes)
that are requested more often than others (based on measurements).
The idea is to avoid having to send a long list of map exceptions
(should that be the case in some situations), and instead
send a prioritized subset (possibly based on map request frequency).
Note that the other three cases (Cases 1, 2, 3) are the same as before 
which found acceptance at the March 2010 LISP WG meeting. 

(2) We now provide quite a bit of additional data/plots based
measurements/analysis to show the extent to which holes are evident
in the Internet (Routeviews) trace data, and how much
proliferation of map messages they cause.
We compare the max # map responses attributable to presence
of holes with and without EEMDP (see slide 17).

For those, who attended my talk at IETF 77 (LISP WG), 
the new or revised material can be found on slides
6, 8, 9, and 14 through 17.  

Further comments, suggestions welcome.

Sriram

K. Sriram
http://www.antd.nist.gov/~ksriram/