Subject: [lisp] I-D Action:draft-ietf-lisp-interworking-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Interworking LISP with IPv4 and IPv6
	Author(s)       : D. Lewis, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lisp-interworking-01.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2010-08-25

This document describes techniques for allowing sites running the
Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) to interoperate with Internet
sites (which may be using either IPv4, IPv6, or both) but which are
not running LISP.  A fundamental property of LISP speaking sites is
that they use Endpoint Identifiers (EIDs), rather than traditional IP
addresses, in the source and destination fields of all traffic they
emit or receive.  While EIDs are syntactically identical to IPv4 or
IPv6 addresses, normally routes to them are not carried in the global
routing system so an interoperability mechanism is needed for non-
LISP-speaking sites to exchange traffic with LISP-speaking sites.
This document introduces three such mechanisms.  The first uses a new
network element, the LISP Proxy Ingress Tunnel Routers (PITR)
(Section 5) to act as a intermediate LISP Ingress Tunnel Router (ITR)
for non-LISP-speaking hosts.  Second the document adds Network
Address Translation (NAT) functionality to LISP Ingress and LISP
Egress Tunnel Routers (xTRs) to substitute routable IP addresses for
non-routable EIDs.  Finally, this document introduces a Proxy Egress
Tunnel Router (PETR) to handle cases where a LISP ITR cannot send
packets to non-LISP sites without encapsulation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lisp-interworking-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.