Subject: [lisp] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-lisp-gpe-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 12:42:08 -0700

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lisp-gpe-05: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-gpe/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for addressing the TSV-ART review (and Magnus for doing the review)! I
assume that the proposed text will be incorporated in the next version. (Would
have been even better if those (larger) changes would have been added before
the doc was put on the telechat; please update as soon as possible so other AD
can review that text as well).

However, I think the text still needs to say more about HOW the PCP should be
mapped to DSCPs. RFC8325 doesn't provide guidelines but a mapping for 802.11.
Is the same mapping applicable here?

Also, I'm not an expert for that part, but I guess there also is further
guidance needed on HOW to map the VID...?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Given this doc uses the last reserved bit in the lisp header, I would really
like to see more discussion how the data plane lisp can still be extended. I
think the solution is straight-forward (define a shim layer for the extension
and announce this capability in the Map-Reply), however, spelling this out
seems to be appropriate for this doc.

---

From: Fabio Maino <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 13:22:09 -0700

Thanks for your notes Mirja.

I'll publish an updated rev this evening to consolidate the changes that 
I believe we have agreed upon, and then I'll work on those that are 
still open.

Please see below.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-gpe/

Agree. As pointed out by Magnus' latest email there's more investigation 
needed here. I'll get back on this.

> guidance needed on HOW to map the VID...?

This is really straightforward, as the VID is a 12-bit field, and the 
IID is 24-bit. Implementation that I'm aware of typically carve a 
portion of the IID space to encode the VID.

Correct, that's the idea. I'll add a sentence that states that a 
lisp-gpe next protocol header can be used to extend the lisp data-plane 
functions.

Thanks,
Fabio