Subject: [lisp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lisp-pubsub-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 17:50:05 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Publish/Subscribe Functionality for LISP
        Authors         : Alberto Rodriguez-Natal
                          Vina Ermagan
                          Johnson Leong
                          Fabio Maino
                          Albert Cabellos-Aparicio
                          Sharon Barkai
                          Dino Farinacci
                          Mohamed Boucadair
                          Christian Jacquenet
                          Stefano Secci
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lisp-pubsub-05.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2020-03-18

Abstract:
   This document specifies an extension to the use of Map-Request to
   enable Publish/Subscribe (PubSub) operation for LISP.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-pubsub/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lisp-pubsub-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lisp-pubsub-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lisp-pubsub-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Joel Halpern <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 12:25:26 -0400

I was reading this draft again to think about the questions Alberto 
raised on the list.  In doing so, I came across something that I think 
needs to be clarified.

In section 5, I see the following two sentences:
  If the subscription fails, the Map-Server MUST send a Map-Reply to
  the originator of the Map-Request, as described in
  [I-D.ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis].  This is also the case when the Map-
  Server does not support PubSub operation.

I understand the first sentence.  The second sentence appears to cover 
two different cases.  One case is where the Map-Server understands 
PubSub, but does not accept it.  Okay.  I can see an error in that case. 
  But, as written, this seems to be intended to apply to a Map-Server 
that has never heard of the PubSub extension.  Such a Map-Server will 
ignore the I bit and ignore the N bit.  It will not know that this is a 
PubSub request, and as such will not generate an error.  I have no 
problem with generating an error in the known but not supported case. 
Can we (when we revise the draft) clarify the text?
(It took me a little bit to realize that this text probably meant the 
known but not supported case, as it was the unknown case that came to 
mind first.)

Yours,
Joel

On 3/18/2020 8:50 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 09:50:27 +0000

Hi Joel,

Good catch.

I think we just need to delete that second sentence. The behavior when pubsub is not supported is covered by this text: 

   Upon receipt of the Map-Request, the Map-Server processes it as
   described in [I-D.ietf-lisp-rfc6833bis].

The failure cases we wanted to cover are those in:

   The subscription of an xTR-ID to the list of subscribers for the EID-
   Record may fail for a number of reasons.  For example, because of
   local configuration policies (such as accept and drop lists of
   subscribers), or because the Map-Server has exhausted the resources
   to dedicate to the subscription of that EID-Record (e.g., the number
   of subscribers excess the capacity of the Map-Server).

Cheers,
Med

> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : lisp [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Joel Halpern
> Envoyé : jeudi 19 mars 2020 17:25
> À : [email-masked]
> Objet : Re: [lisp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lisp-pubsub-05.txt
> 
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 10:43:48 -0400

Thanks.  That will work fine.
Yours,
Joel

---

From: Alberto Rodriguez-Natal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 11:16:12 -0700

Sounds good. Thanks Joel and Med.

I've made a note to remove the sentence in the next iteration.

Thanks,
Alberto

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 7:45 AM Joel M. Halpern <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I think we just need to delete that second sentence. The behavior when
> pubsub is not supported is covered by this text:
> >