Subject: [lisp] Protocol Action: 'The Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6830bis-36.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 12:26:02 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)'
  (draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6830bis-36.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6830bis/

Technical Summary

This document describes the Data-Plane protocol for the Locator/ID
Separation Protocol (LISP).  LISP defines two namespaces, End-point
Identifiers (EIDs) that identify end-hosts and Routing Locators
(RLOCs) that identify network attachment points.  With this, LISP
effectively separates control from data, and allows routers to create
overlay networks.  LISP-capable routers exchange encapsulated packets
according to EID-to-RLOC mappings stored in a local Map-Cache.

Working Group Summary

 The WG has showed support to the document from its first submission as
individual draft and adopted it right away. On the technical side there was
agreement in the WG and little discussion took place, mainly related on including
some features/improvements not present in RFC 6830. On the organization of the
document, more specifically on what to put in the data-plane document and what to
put in the control-plane document there has been quite some discussion. This
document was previously reviewed by the IESG, due to the technical changes
which have been made, it was Last Called again and re-balloted.

Document Quality

There are several independent implementations of the LISP data-plane.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Luigi Iannone <[email-masked]>
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>