Subject: [lp-wan] Comments on the LPWAN Overview draft (draft-ietf-lpwan-overview-05)

From: Don Sturek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 10:38:06 -0700

Hello
  
Here are my comments on draft-ietf-lpwan-overview-05 for the Wi-SUN FAN
section:
1)     [ANSI-4957-000] reference

a.      We now have published the entire Wi-SUN FAN specification as an
ANSI/TIA document set.   The exact versions are:

i.      [ANSI-4957-000a]  Overview of Wi-SUN FAN

ii.      [ANSI-4957-100a]  Wi-SUN PHY specification used in FAN

iii.      [ANSI-4957-200a]  Wi-SUN FAN MAC specification

iv.      [ANSI-4957-210a]  Layer 2 routing used in Wi-SUN FAN (MHDS)

v.      [ANSI-4957-300a]  Network Layer used in Wi-SUN FAN

vi.      [ANSI-4957-400a]  Transport Layer used in Wi-SUN FAN (basically
just a reference to UDP)

vii.      [ANSI-4957-500]  Security used in Wi-SUN FAN

                                TIA has now published all of the above
specifications.  I think I would just change the reference to [ANSI-4957]
2)      Top of page 21.   The ANSI/TIA specifications covering Wi-SUN FAN
have been published by TIA

3)     Section 2.4.2  The reference to  [ANSI-4957-210 ] is actually only
describing the layer 2 routing of FAN.  Probably should change this to
[ANSI-4957]

4)     Section 2.4.2  We don¹t support IEEE 802.15.12 in FAN

So onto Charlie¹s comments,
 
1)     Wi-SUN's relatively high bandwidth, i.e. up to 300 kbps [FANTPS],
enables remote update and upgrade of devices so that they can handle new
applications, extending their working life. Some IoT applications may
require on-demand control, e.g. on-demand metering in AMI, device control in
distribution automation. Wi-SUN supports these requirements by providing
high bandwidth, low latency (0.02s) and bi-directional communication *links*
-   I think it would be best to clarify that the low latency we are talking
about here is on a link basis and not end to end across the mesh
 
Don Sturek