Subject: [Lsvr] Issue 2: Auto-configuration Requirements

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 15:26:06 -0400

IDR WG: 

Does IDR think that we should include a generalized auto-discovery protocol
in the IDR WG charter? 

If so, should it be for WAN or Data Center or IPRAN topologies (grid/ring)? 

LSVR is progressing with Layer 3 liveness in  draft-ietf-lsvr-l3dl-00

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsvr-l3dl/

LSVR is progressing because IDR did not have a consensus on requirements for
a general Layer 3 liveness protocol in 2018. 

This thread is to discuss the requirements for a generalized or 

a specific auto-discovery protocol associated with BGP. 

My next posts will contain the requirements for LSVR Layer 3 liveness and 

draft-xu-idr-neighbor-autodiscovery requirements 

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xu-idr-neighbor-autodiscovery/

Sue Hares

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 13:01:19 -0700

> Does IDR think that we should include a generalized auto-discovery
> protocol in the IDR WG charter?
> 

somewhere is the saying that what is designed for the LAN ends up on the
WAN.  and if not designed well, does not work well on the WAN.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsvr-l3dl/

l3dl is discovery and liveness.  no fun discovering dead things :)

you may also be amused by draft-ymbk-lsvr-l3dl-ulpc-00.txt

there are updates to these drafts in emacs edit buffers.  if you get
serious, i can push them out earlier then planned.

randy