Subject: Initial requirements for long-term archive I-D

From: Tobias Gondrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:40:52 +0100

Hello,

Thanks to Carl, Uli and Ralf we finished the 
"Initial requirements for long-term archive I-D "
(first milestone, unfortunately 6 weeks behind schedule)
 <<draft-ietf-ltans-reqs-01.txt>> 

I would like to encourage now the discussion for this draft on the
mailing-list as fast as possible as the following standards (data structures
and protocol)  will be targeting to fulfill the discussed requirements. The
initial drafts for these 2 documents are also behind schedule but initial
documents shall be available for discussion end of january.

Please keep best practices for the discussion in mind:
- discuss the different sections for the document individually
- if possible list the chapter you want to change and the old and the new
text to make it easier for the others to follow the discussion and for the
editor.

At the moment there are even topics for dicusiion open from the writing of
the initial paper.

Best regards

	Tobias

Tobias Gondrom
Senior Software Architect
Engineering

IXOS Software AG
Technopark Neukeferloh
Bretonischer Ring 12
D-85630 Grasbrunn/München

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.ixos.com <http://www.ixos.com> 
Tel: +49-89-4629-1816
Fax: +49-89-4629-33-1816

This eMail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient or have received this eMail in error, please
notify the sender immediately and destroy this eMail. Any use, disclosure or
distribution of the material in this eMail is strictly forbidden.
Diese eMail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte
Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese eMail
irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und
vernichten Sie diese eMail. Jegliche Art der Verwendung, Vervielfältigung
oder Weitergabe ist nicht gestattet.

---

From: "A. Jerman Blazic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:59:14 +0100

Dear Tobias and others
 
First of all, I am pleased LTANS did produce one of the first
discussable drafts.
 
In the first place I do have some views on the general document
structure, which is very "Trusted Archive Protocol" oriented. In my
view, one has to distinguish two main logical parts of the archive,
which is protocol interaction mechanisms, i.e. trusted archive protocol
or a point of user's interaction with an archive. The other is archive
itself and integrated mechanisms for assuring object validity over
defined or undefined period of time (I do distinguish at least two
measures of archiving period, although e-archiving is tightly related to
needs/requirements/obligations on content archiving, so many
"time-frame" definitions are possible) in combination with archived
object "management". I guess data structures are trying to focus on
later but conservation mechanisms seems like missing or at least no
indirect linkage to additional specifications are mentioned, of course
if there are some (XAdES??)....
 
Next, in the document (page 4) redundant storage, disaster recovery,
etc. are mentioned. Data storage mechanisms should be out of the scope
of the e-archive, since back-up mechanisms and systems are something
which one can find on, let's say, "lower" infrastructure layer and
should be dealt as is.
 
User authentication is another problem in wide scale deployment of
archive services. Bearing in mind that privacy is one of the (more and
more) important factor in open infrastructure, confidentiality is even
more important in case of formal content handling (contracts,
invoices!!). Furthermore, DVCS exposes the content to authority at
least, and has serious confidentiality problems...
 
On page 5 and 6, TAA is presented as a document storage service, which
in certain case doesn't have to. My personal view is, that archiving
does not mean only archiving service but extended functionality of
existing document warehouses or management systems. In this case, TAA is
a service maintaining only archiving related data and not content by
itself, i.e. timestamps, CRLs, DVCS responses, etc. Also the same
service means single point of interaction for many content related
services. Do we really need such content redundancy?
 
Hope this will trigger some discussion...
 
Regards
 
Aleksej

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tobias Gondrom
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:41 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Initial requirements for long-term archive I-D 
Importance: High

Hello, 

I would like to encourage now the discussion for this draft on the
mailing-list as fast as possible as the following standards (data
structures and protocol)  will be targeting to fulfill the discussed
requirements. The initial drafts for these 2 documents are also behind
schedule but initial documents shall be available for discussion end of
january.

Please keep best practices for the discussion in mind: 
- discuss the different sections for the document individually 
- if possible list the chapter you want to change and the old and the
new text to make it easier for the others to follow the discussion and
for the editor.

At the moment there are even topics for dicusiion open from the writing
of the initial paper. 

Best regards 

        Tobias 

Tobias Gondrom 

IXOS Software AG 
Technopark Neukeferloh 
Bretonischer Ring 12 

E-Mail: [email-masked] 
WWW:  <http://www.ixos.com> http://www.ixos.com 
Tel: +49-89-4629-1816 
Fax: +49-89-4629-33-1816 

This eMail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the intended recipient or have received this eMail in error,
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this eMail. Any use,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this eMail is strictly
forbidden.

Diese eMail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte
Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese
eMail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den
Absender und vernichten Sie diese eMail. Jegliche Art der Verwendung,
Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe ist nicht gestattet.