Subject: RE: Role of attribute certificates in long-term archiving

From: Vohnoutová Marta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:11:06 +0100

> 
>   Understood here. However I think you may have missed part 
> of my original point.  That being essentially this suggestion 
> as you put it, encompass the definitions for which those 
> archives are trusted based upon the content of said archive 
> was originally valid and accurate as to it's real originator.
> 

As for me, I think we should distinguish two digital archive types:
- relatively short term archives (up to e.g. 10-20 years) - many companies must solve this just now (e.g. Internal Digital archive for invoices)- in this case an originator of the document can be the same person with a man cancelling the document = simple access right model. It is enough to sign and time stamp once.  It is also possible to use already existing archiving systems. I think we should not be involved in it.

- long term archive (e.g. More than 20 years...forever - we should define this). We should be involver only in this type of archive. The time distance between originator and e.g. Archive research worker ... 
See http://ltans.edelweb.fr/draft-ietf-arch-00.pdf

Marta

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
Verze: 6.0.516 / Virová báze: 313 - datum vydání: 1.9.2003

---

From: "A. Jerman Blazic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:41:28 +0100

> - relatively short term archives (up to e.g. 10-20 years) - 
> many companies must solve this just now (e.g. Internal 
> Digital archive for invoices)- in this case an originator of 
> the document can be the same person with a man cancelling the 
> document = simple access right model. It is enough to sign 
> and time stamp once.  It is also possible to use already 
> existing archiving systems. I think we should not be involved in it.
> 
> - long term archive (e.g. More than 20 years...forever - we 
> should define this). We should be involver only in this type 
> of archive. The time distance between originator and e.g. 
> Archive research worker ... 

Now we are finally getting somewhere.... :)

However, keep in mind that not the same procedures will be used for the
two scenarios. I would distinguish two approaches as a trusted archive
and as a trusted storage, which is what you can even map form the
analogue environment if you want (pay also attention to legal
interpretation of archive, which in Anglo-Saxon approach does not
recognize other records as governmental). Accessing procedures might not
play essential role in the first case, where the burden will need to be
put on preserving the validity of attributes and integrity of records.
By introduction of formal documents in electronic forms many
organizations are struggling on haw to solve the main problem of records
keeping (not archiving). This is why implementation of procedures does
not play an important role but data structures to keep the records
valid...

Aleksej