Subject: LTANS meeting summary

From: "Carl Wallace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:21:07 -0400

The LTANS group met on 8/5 from 1:00 to 3:00.  The primary topics of
discussion were Notary Requirements and Long-term Archive Protocol.  

Following a review of document status, Tobias Gondrom provided an
introduction to the Notary Requirements document and presented slides from
Andreas Schmidt highlighting some issues.  John Ross provided information
regarding the work done in OASIS that is relevant to LTANS.  In particular,
the recently published Digital Signature Services specification and work of
the legalXML group were noted.  The legalXML group has a requirements
document that may be of use but is currently in the members-only area of the
OASIS web site.  Russ was asked how to proceed with establishing a working
relationship between the OASIS group and the LTANS group.  The issue will be
raised with the IAB to see if a liason should be established.  Larry led a
review of the notary requirements document.  The requirements will continue
to be discussed on the mailing list prior to circulating a new version of
the document.  The group was asked to provide information regarding notary
requirements in various countries.
	
Tobias presented a diagram describing the functionality of an archive
service.  Carl presented a set of slides provided by Peter Sylvester
regarding the archive protocol.  Framework may be quite similar to work
performed by OASIS (e.g. DSS).  Discussion regarding the protocol questioned
the need for the protocol at all.  Instead, definition of bindings in
various environments should be considered, e.g. WebDAV, JSR170.  

The primary actions before the next IETF meeting are: investigation of OASIS
work, review of notary requirements (e.g. from legalXML, mailing list),
consideration of dropping protocol in favor of bindings to specific
technologies.

Carl and Tobias