Subject: draft-ietf-ltans-reqs-02.txt: Abstract-related comments

From: "Carl Wallace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:57:17 -0400

We received two suggested rewrites of the abstract.  Both are presented
below along with the abstract from the -02 draft.  As Larry suggested, it
may be better to table the abstract and focus on the other issues for the
moment.  

Larry suggested the following:
#   There are many scenarios in which users, even after an arbitrarily
#   long period of time, will need to prove the original existance of
#   data and the integrity of that data in the duration. In addition,
#   there are requirements to prove the original validity of the
#   signatures of digitally signed data, even after an arbitrarily
#   long period. This document describes a class of long-term archive
#   services which support such scenarios, and the technical requirements
#   for protocols for interacting with such services.

Denis suggested the following:
"This document specifies the technical requirement for long-term archive
services able to support non repudiation of data origin with integrity and
existence of data at a given time. Data to be stored and retrieved may
include signed data. Long-term archive services operate under an archive
policy which will need to be periodically redefined as the time goes. This
document specifies the main constituents of an archive policy".

-02 draft text:
   In many scenarios, users need to be able to prove the existence of
   data at a given time and integrity of data, especially digitally
   signed data, in a common and reproducible way after an arbitrarily
   long period.  This document specifies the technical requirements for
   a long-term archive service to support such scenarios.