Subject: RFC 5378 and Draft Submissions

From: "Carl Wallace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:03:38 -0500

IETF Chair Russ Housley has asked WG chairs to apprise WGs of
discussions related to RFC 5378.  Eric Rescorla prepared the following
summary of the issue.

"If you've been following the IETF mailing list, you may be aware of the
ongoing discussion about the impact of RFC 5378 on revised draft
submissions. Briefly, RFC 5378 requires Contributors to grant a more
expansive set of rights than were granted by RFC 3978, and 4748. If you
are submitting a document which contains text contributed by others
prior to the publication of RFC 5378 you may need to obtain additional
rights from the copyright holders of that text in order to contribute
under the 5378 terms.

The IESG and the IETF Trustees are working to resolve those issues (see
http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Background-to-Draft-Update-to-IETF-Trust-Le
gal-Provisions.txt).  However, at present I would advise care prior to
submitting any draft which contains material derived from an RFC, draft,
or mailing list message published prior to November 10, 2008.  Speaking
personally, I have chosen not to submit new versions of most of my
drafts until matters are resolved.

Please take any general discussion of RFC 5378 to [email-masked]."