Subject: [ltans] Evidence Record Syntax and OAIS (ISO/DIS 1472:2004)

From: "Richard Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:26:39 +0200

Dear Members,

I am researching how it may be possible to use the Evidence Record
Syntax with the Open Archival Information System (OAIS).

Can you say where I should go to better understand if it is possible to
use the Evidence Record Syntax to satisfy the ISO Standards ISO/DIS
1472:2004 and ISO/DIS 16363 please?

Thank you for your help.

I wish you well.

Richard Hughes

Richard HUGHES

Business Analyst

[email-masked]

Bergstraat 30-34, 1000 BRUSSEL

Rue de la Montagne 30-34, 1000 BRUXELLES

T +32 2 611 23 37  

www.credoc.be | www.notarimmo.be

DISCLAIMER

This e-mail and any attachment may contain information that is
confidential and are for authorized use by the intended recipient(s)
only. If you are not an intended recipient, you must not read, copy,
disclose, retain the content nor communicate this e-mail to any other
party. If you have received the e-mail in error, please delete and
destroy all copies of it. Total safety, confidentiality and integrity of
e-mails can by no means be guaranteed; the sender cannot be held liable
for damages consequential upon the use of e-mail (virus contamination,
interception, alteration of transmissions etc.).

---

From: "Aljosa Jerman Blazic" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:23:19 +0200

Dear Richard

The ERS is one of the elements of TAS service as interpreted by LTANS,
delivering proofs on archive data time existence and integrity for the
preservation period. Most of technical recommendations including Open
Archival Information System (OAIS), Design Criteria Standard For
Electronic Records Management Software Applications (DoD 5015.2-STD),
Model Requirements For The Management Of Electronic Records (MoReq),
etc. include special sections dedicated to requirements for long term
integrity (and authenticity) demonstration. For example, the MoReq
recommendation, widely adopted by public administration in EU, talks
about (see section 4) "It is essential that once the record is captured,
all record components, structure and metadata necessary to ascertain the
record is authentic shall not be changed. The captured records must be
sustained in a non-revisable form and protected against intentional or
accidental changes to their content, context, structure and appearance
throughout their life to retain their authenticity..." Similar goes for
other recommendations including DoD, ISO...

The ERS is not a protection mechanism by itself. Other electronic means
apply to achieve these functionalities. However, the ERS delivers all
needed information to validate data integrity (and consequently
authenticity). The ERS functionality has to be properly implemented into
the overall TAS architecture, which incorporates other mechanisms that
deliver secure environment for preservation (including ERS generation).

In other words, the ERS complies with the ISO and other requirements,
but it is only a (very important) piece of the puzzle. There should be
LTANS architecture draft coming out sometime, describing all the
relevant technical components of the TAS architecture and their
interdependencies. 

Hope this helps

BR

Aljosa

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Richard Hughes
> Sent: May 24, 2011 15:27
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [ltans] Evidence Record Syntax and OAIS (ISO/DIS 1472:2004)
> 
> Dear Members,
> 
> 
> 
> CREDOC_lo_RGB
> destroy all copies of it. Total safety, confidentiality and integrity
> of e-mails can by no means be guaranteed; the sender cannot be held
> liable for damages consequential upon the use of e-mail (virus
> contamination, interception, alteration of transmissions etc.).
> 
>