Subject: Re: [Ltru] draft-davis-t-langtag-ext

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:16:13 -0700

Mark Davis 🍹 <mark at macchiato dot com> wrote:

> Note to Doug: The CLDR committee had agreed to move the descriptions into the bcp47 files, such as http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/bcp47/calendar.xml. Yoshito has the action to do that, and was able to accelerate it. So please take a look if you have the time.

This is excellent.  Adding the descriptions to the bcp47 files reduces
or eliminates the need for BCP 47 users (English-speaking ones, anyway)
to drag in additional CLDR files and makes them much more like a
registry.  Users who want the descriptions in other languages, say
French, can still access "fr.xml" as before.

The changes in Section 2.6 to add transparency to the process, and in
Section 2.7 to specify more about the structure of the data, are also
big improvements.  You can see how much better this is for the user than
"The data and specification will be available by the time this internet
draft has been approved," though that sentence is still in place.  I
hope future changes to -u- data also follow this transparent process,
even though 6067 doesn't require it.

(Note that you'll want to spell-check "discription.")

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell

---

From: Mark Davis ☕ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:34:45 -0700

Mark
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:16, Doug Ewell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Note to Doug: The CLDR committee had agreed to move the descriptions into
> the bcp47 files, such as
> http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/bcp47/calendar.xml. Yoshito has
> the action to do that, and was able to accelerate it. So please take a look
> if you have the time.
>

Thanks.

> even though 6067 doesn't require it.

Yes, the committee wants to follow the same process for both.

> (Note that you'll want to spell-check "discription.")

got it.