Subject: Re: [Ltru] draft-falk-transliteration-tags

From: Mark Davis ☕ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:46:11 -0700

Courtney had agreed to combine efforts, resulting in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-davis-t-langtag-ext-01.

Thanks for your feedback on the 00 version. There have been a number of
changes due to Martin Dürst's comments, and I have some feedback on your
issues below.

Mark
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*

>
>        - Either identify transliteration, transcription, and
>        translation separately or explain what that is not
>        necessary.
>

That should be described, perhaps something like:

The transform involved (transliteration, transcription, translation, or
other) is specified by the mechanism. It may involve a combination of
techniques, such as translation for terms with specific or well-known
meanings (such as lake or park) and transcriptions for other names (such as
Lago di Bracciano). (Note that the difference between "transliteration" and
"transcription" is not always clear. Some people restrict the use
"transliteration"
to be "lossless", although it is rarely the case that any transform is
purely lossless.)

>
>        - Make sure that transliteration and transcription
>        systems are properly and unambiguously identified or
>        explain why that is not necessary.
>

The whole structure of BCP47 allows for a degree of specificity which is
flexible enough to meet user's needs. There are times, for example, that all
one knows about certain data content is that it is, say, Cyrillic
transliterated into Latin. In other circumstances, one might know much more
specifically that it is Bulgarian (Cyrillic) transliterated into Spanish
(Latin, Latin American) according to Ivanov's 2009 rules.

>        - Rigorously define all subfields and alternate
>        extensions with either a well-defined model for
>        producing identifiers, a registry and registration
>        rules, or both.
>

In specifying the source for the transform, we have simply followed the
structure of http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47 itself, and require no
additional registry, because the
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry and BCP47 supply
everything that is required.

In specifying the mechanism, we have followed the precedent of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6067, in having the Unicode Consortium
maintain the registry.

Mark

---

From: Courtney Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 19:45:45 -0400

That would be correct.

Nevil, is there anything else I need to do in order to withdraw my 
submission?

Courtney Falk

On 7/4/2011 6:46 PM, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback on the 00 version. There have been a number 
> of changes due to Martin Dürst's comments, and I have some feedback on 
> your issues below.
>
> Mark
> /— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —/
>
>
>
>
> The transform involved (transliteration, transcription, translation, 
> or other) is specified by the mechanism. It may involve a combination 
> of techniques, such as translation for terms with specific or 
> well-known meanings (such as lake or park) and transcriptions for 
> other names (such as Lago di Bracciano). (Note that the difference 
> between "transliteration" and "transcription" is not always clear. 
> Some people restrict the use " transliteration" to be "lossless", 
> although it is rarely the case that any transform is purely lossless.)
>
>
> The whole structure of BCP47 allows for a degree of specificity which 
> is flexible enough to meet user's needs. There are times, for example, 
> that all one knows about certain data content is that it is, say, 
> Cyrillic transliterated into Latin. In other circumstances, one might 
> know much more specifically that it is Bulgarian (Cyrillic) 
> transliterated into Spanish (Latin, Latin American) according to 
> Ivanov's 2009 rules.
>
>
>
> In specifying the source for the transform, we have simply followed 
> the structure of http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47 itself, and require 
> no additional registry, because the 
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry and BCP47 
> supply everything that is required.
>

---

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 11:59:20 +1200

Hi Courtney:

No, thanks, I'll set that in the database now.

Cheers, Nevil

-- 
Nevil Brownlee (ISE), [email-masked]