Subject: [media-types] Please review - XLIFF 2.1 2nd Public Review Draft

From: David Filip <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 17:15:48 +0000

Hi all, today OASIS relased today XLIFF Version 2.1 2nd Public Review Draft.
https://www.oasis-open.org/news/announcements/public-review-for-xliff-v2-1-ends-february-24th

I want to draw the attention of the experts on this list to the appendix A
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/xliff-core/v2.1/csprd02/xliff-core-v2.1-csprd02.html#mediaType
of the 2nd Public Review Draft that contains the
Media Type Registration Template for XLIFF Version 2.0 and higher Versions
which will be used by OASIS Administration to seek the final (as opposed to
provisional) registration of the media type application/xliff+xml

I will be happy to receive feedback to the media type registration template
on this list.
Comments to any other part of the XLIFF Specification should be sent by
25th Feb through the XLIFF TC Comment List
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=xliff
to be considered feedback received during the 2nd public review.

Any material feedback to the normative parts of the XLIFF 2.1, including
the media type Appendix should be implemented as result of this public
review. Material changes should not occur at the stage of committee
specification and later..

Cheers and thanks in advance for your attention and consideration
dF

Dr. David Filip
===========
OASIS XLIFF OMOS TC Chair
OASIS XLIFF TC Secretary, Editor, Liaison Officer
Spokes Research Fellow
ADAPT Centre
KDEG, Trinity College Dublin
Mobile: +420-777-218-122

---

From: Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:11:44 +0900

Hello David,

Please send the actual template, not just a link, to this list. This 
will increase the chance that you get comments.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: David Filip <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:16:22 +0000

Hi Martin, all,

attaching the Appendix A and the registration template only saved as text
if that seems more expert friendly ;-)

Cheers and thanks
dF

Dr. David Filip
===========

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> Please send the actual template, not just a link, to this list. This will
> increase the chance that you get comments.
>
> Regards,   Martin.
>
>

---

From: Paul Libbrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 18:22:05 +0100

David,

please as text without attachment.

thanks

Paul

> On 13 Feb 2017, at 18:16, David Filip <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> attaching the Appendix A and the registration template only saved as text if that seems more expert friendly ;-)

---

From: David Filip <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:27:16 +0000

Ok, Paul, all, now only the plaintext of the template:

A.1 Registration Template

Type name: application

Subtype name: xliff+xml

Required parameters: N/A

Optional parameters: N/A

Encoding considerations:

Same as encoding considerations of application/xml as specified in [RFC
7303]

Security considerations:

Apart from all of the security considerations described in [RFC 7303],
XLIFF Version 2.0 and higher has the following Security considerations:

Extensibility: XLIFF permits extensions. Hence it is possible that
application xliff+xml may describe content that has security implications
beyond those described here.

Direct external reference mechanisms: An XLIFF document has a number of
attributes of the type URI or IRI, all of which may be dereferenced and
some of them should be dereferenced. Therefore, the security issues of [RFC
3987] Section 8 should be considered. In addition, the contents of
resources identified by file: URIs can in some cases be accessed, processed
and returned as results.

More details can be found in the Detailed Security Considerations section
of this Appendix.

Interoperability considerations:

Same as interoperability considerations described in [RFC 7303]

Also, interoperability requirements are specified throughout the
specification and summarized in its Conformance Section.

Published specification:

XLIFF Version 2.0 (OASIS Standard)
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/xliff-core/v2.0/os/xliff-core-v2.0-os.html
will be superseded by XLIFF Version 2.1 (OASIS Standard)
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/xliff-core/v2.1/os/xliff-core-v2.1-os.html
that was last published on 07 February 2017 in the Commitee Specification
Draft 02 / Public Review Draft 02 (csprd02) stage at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/xliff-core/v2.1/xliff-core-v2.1.html and
is backwards compatible with XLIFF Version 2.0.

Applications that use this media type:

XLIFF conformant applications, according to the Conformance Section of this
specification

Fragment identifier considerations:

Generic XML processors won't be able to resolve XLIFF fragment identifiers,
as the fragment identification syntax is specific for XLIFF and has been
defined in its Fragment Identification section as of csd03/csprd03 of XLIFF
Version 2.0.

Intended usage: COMMON

Restrictions on usage: N/A

Author:

OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC Editors: Tom
Comerford, <[email-masked]>; David Filip, <[email-masked]>;
Yves Savourel, <[email-masked]>

Change controller:

OASIS XML Localisation Interchange File Format (XLIFF) TC
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/

Bryan Schnabel, <[email-masked]>, Chair

Tom Comerford, <[email-masked]>, Secretary

David Filip, <[email-masked]>, Secretary

Provisional registration? (standards tree only): NO

Additional information:

Deprecated alias names for this type: N/A

Magic number(s): N/A

File extension(s): xlf

Macintosh file type code(s): "TEXT"

Person & email address to contact for further information:

OASIS Technical Committee administration <[email-masked]>

Dr. David Filip
===========