Subject: [media-types] Notice of intent to register a media type

From: Bob Jolliffe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:15:42 +0100

Good day.

I am writing on behalf of the Technical Committee of Quality Research and
Public Health within IHE (Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise -
http://ihe.net).

Myself and James Kariuki (copied) are working on a profile for aggregate
health data exchange within that committee.  The profile (ADX) was
originally published for trial implementation in 2015 (
http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php/Aggregate_Data_Exchange).  We are currently
engaged in maintenance work updating and extending the profile.

We have defined a particular content type for ADX data messages which we
would like to use the mime-type "application/adx+xml".

Following the recommendations of RFC 6838 we have verified that this mime
type is not currently registered.  What we would like to do next, pending
feedback on this mail, is to complete a provisional registration.  We would
move that to a full registration following publication by the technical
committee at the end of this cycle.

The work of the QRPH TC can be viewed at
http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php/Quality,_Research_and_Public_Health.

The co-chairs of the TC, John Stamm and Derek Ritz, are copied on this
mail.

Please advise if we missing any procedural steps or any other feedback that
might be useful.

Regards
Bob Jolliffe

---

From: Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:06:23 +0900

Hello Bob,

Please send us your intended registration template directly in the mail 
(not just a pointer, and preferably not an attachment). That will make 
it easier for the people on this list to give you feedback.

Regards,   Martin.

On 2017/04/25 17:15, Bob Jolliffe wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> media-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types
>

-- 
Prof. Dr.sc. Martin J. Dürst
Department of Intelligent Information Technology
College of Science and Engineering
Aoyama Gakuin University
Fuchinobe 5-1-10, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara
252-5258 Japan

---

From: Bob Jolliffe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:51:24 +0100

Thank you Martin for your quick reply.  Taking baby steps, our first step
was going to be submitting a provisional registration, for which RFC6838
suggests we just need to have the media type name and contact email filled
on the template.

Nevertheless, I have completed the template below in anticipation of the
next step.  If reviewers are satisfied we could then move directly to
formal registration.  Or else we proceed with provisional registration
until the next edition of ADX profile is published later this year or early
2018.

Regards
Bob Jolliffe

Type name: application

Subtype name: adx+xml

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: charset

  As per rfc3023 the use of charset is strongly recommended.

  "utf-8" and "utf-16" are the recommended values for maximum compatibility

  with xml processors.

Encoding considerations:

  As per application/xml (sec 3.2) of rfc 3023

Security considerations:

  As a subset of xml, application/adx+xml has all the same security
considerations

  of xml as outlined in sec 10 of rfc 3023.

  The envisaged usage is for the transport of aggregate (statistical)
public health data

  rather than individual medical record data which would require more stringent

  considerations relating to privacy.  The ADX profile mandates the
use of transport level

  security when transported over the web.

    Interoperability considerations:

  Interpretation of the content of this media type presupposes that
applications have exchanged

  structural metadata (primarily codelists) for the controlled
vocabularies used in the data message.

Published specification:

  The original specificaton is published at
http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php/Aggregate_Data_Exchange.
  An updated publication profiling adx transport is expected 2017/2018

Applications that use this media type:

  A wide variety of systems involved in routine public health reporting.

Fragment identifier considerations:
  None

Additional information:
  None

Deprecated alias names for this type:
  N/A

Magic number(s):
  N/A

File extension(s):
  N/A

Macintosh file type code(s):
  N/A

Person & email address to contact for further information:

  QRPH Technical committee :  [email-masked]
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838#page-23>

Intended usage:

   COMMON, LIMITED USE

   (not too sure. There is no intention to limit the usage)

Restrictions on usage:
  None

Author:  Bob Jolliffe and James Kariuki

   Change controller: QRPH Technical Committee [email-masked]

   Provisional registration? (standards tree only): yes

On 26 April 2017 at 08:06, Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]> wrote:

> (not just a pointer, and preferably not an attachment). That will make it
> easier for the people on this list to give you feedback.
>
> Regards,   Martin.
>
>