Subject: [META-MODEL] New Mailing Lists in the OPS area

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:39:17 +0300

Following the OPS area meetings and mini-BOF sessions in Prague we have
created two new mail lists: 

[email-masked] - this list will focus on discussions about the need
and requirements for a meta data model in the network management space
and what the IETF should do on this respect

[email-masked] - the list will discuss the need and requirements of
converting MIB modules into resource models for the SOA/Web Services
Management environment and work that should be done in the IETF in this
field

The two lists will create a framework for discussions and contributions
for the respective subjects and will allow the operations and management
community to debate the level of interest and what should be done
respectively in the two fields. If you are interested please subscribe
and participate. 

Dan

_______________________________________________
META-MODEL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/meta-model

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:08:13 -0400

What does meta-modeling cover?

dbh 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 4:39 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [OPS-AREA] New Mailing Lists in the OPS area
> 
> OPS-AREA mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-area
>

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 19:38:20 +0300

This is the follow-up to one of the mini-BOFs in Prague
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/opsarea-4/sld1.htm. 

Dan

> From: David Harrington [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 7:08 PM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [OPS-AREA] New Mailing Lists in the OPS area
> 
> > Following the OPS area meetings and mini-BOF sessions in Prague we 
> > have created two new mail lists:
> > 
> > [email-masked] - this list will focus on discussions about the 
> > need and requirements for a meta data model in the network 
> management
> space
> > Management environment and work that should be done in the IETF in 
> > this field
> > 
> > The two lists will create a framework for discussions and 
> > contributions for the respective subjects and will allow the 
> > operations and management community to debate the level of interest 
> > and what should be done respectively in the two fields. If you are 
> > interested please
> subscribe
> > and participate. 
> > 
> > Dan
> > 
> >

---

From: Michael Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:04:02 +0200

In follow-up to the IETF 68 Mini-BOF on 
NE/Facilities/Lines/Protocols/Services Data Modeling:

Effort Summary:
===============

Modeling network of network elements (NE), facilities, lines, protocols 
and services for substantially easing development and operation of 
element manager systems (EMS), network management systems (NMS) and 
operations support systems (OSS). The framework is independent of the 
access method used, including SNMP, CLI, Netconf, Corba, CMIP, XML-RPC, 
etc.)  It covers configuration, alarms, current-historical performance, 
accounting management and security.  The frameworks builds on and reuses 
the existing base of MIBs.

Effort Sub-Projects:
====================

- Namespaces
- Object Model
- Base Meta Model
- Alarm Template Base Meta Model
- Device/Line/Service/Protocol Class Meta Model
- Device/Line/Service/Protocol Type Meta Model
- Device/Line/Service/Protocol Model
- MIB Transformation
- Model Instances three devices, one line type, one protocol and
   one service.

Draft: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alexan-datamod-00.txt
ppt: http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/opsarea-4/opsarea-4.ppt

Next Steps:
===========

This is a complex project which needs the cooperation of multiple foci 
in order to produce meta models and namespaces which very substantially 
decrease the burden of building EMS/NMS/OSSs and model protocols, 
devices etc.

At this stage there has been a fair amount of interest for:

- creating a base meta model (language)
- and to a lesser extent an object model

Skill that is in definite need is for:

- Device Class Specialists: (IP-Router, ATM, SONET/SDH, IP PBX etc.)
- Protocol Specialists: e.g. BGP, OSPF, SIP, MPLS
- Service Specialists: eg. SIP IP Voice

Provided the necessary skill comes together, and a structure is built 
that supports the required interaction for a layered modeling effort, a 
full BoF towards a Data Modeling WG at either at IETF69 or 70 would be 
targeted.

FP7 Filing:
===========

There has been substantial interest from many parties in the filing of 
this as an EU framework project 7 (FP7) project. The targeted filing 
budget sum would exceed EUR 8 Million. The number of participants would 
be >20, and can be from all over the world (NOT only the EU). Please 
send me an email if you or your organization is interested in participating.

Please use the list [email-masked] for discussion.

Best Regards,

Dr. Michael Alexander
WU Wien Dept. of Information Systems
[email-masked] / +43.1.31336.4467 GSM +43.699.1228.3586