Subject: [MIB2RDML] RE: MIB2RDML relevance to Eclipse COSMOS data collection

From: "Ebright, Don" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:50:50 -0500

As the component lead of the COSMOS data collection component, I would
like to express an interest in the MIB2RDML work and attempt to give a
brief overview of the relevance of this work to our project.  

COSMOS is an open source project of the Eclipse Foundation whose mission
is building management tools for computer systems and networks.  One of
the project deliverables is a data collection component which is based
on web services standards, with a specific focus on exploiting the OASIS
WSDM standard and its open source implementation in the Apache Muse
project.  A significant project requirement which has not been addressed
thus far is the need to interoperate with SNMP-based infrastructure.  

COSMOS would find considerable value in a standard way for XML
applications to access SNMP MIBs.  There is a potential for even greater
value in a runtime bridge between the SNMP and XML infrastructure.
Eventually, we expect to support full closed loop management of SNMP
devices via WSDM interfaces, but our first step in the near term is the
ability to observe SNMP traps.  It would be very useful if this could be
accomplished without the need to implement extensive new SNMP-specific
components (e.g. ASN.1 support) in our Java applications.

I am cross-posting this message to ops-area as suggested by Bob Natale.

Don Ebright
The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it.

_______________________________________________
MIB2RDML mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib2rdml