Subject: [MIB2RDML] FW: [OPSAWG] Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML SchemaDefinitionLanguage draft submitted

From: "Natale, Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:18:24 -0500

Hi,

People on the MIB2RMDL list but not on the OPSAWG list who want to
follow or participate in the "MIB to XML via XSD" work should subscribe
to the OPSAWG list at https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg.

Only periodic status updates will be posted to the MIB2RMDL list wrt
this work.  Once (and if) the IETF publishes standards track RFCs for
this work, the MIB2RMDL list will likely be more active in the "to
RMDL" effort (and then perhaps only to help find the right venue for it
outside the IETF).

Cheers,
BobN 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Natale, Bob
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 7:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML
SchemaDefinitionLanguage draft submitted

Hi Juergen,

Thanks..."base types" will be fine.

Original intent was to distinguish this set _in a concrete manner_ from
TCs which, of course, are not recognizable as types on the wire. 

Cheers,
BobN

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 4:01 AM
To: Natale, Bob
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML
SchemaDefinition Language draft submitted

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 03:18:40AM -0500, Natale, Bob wrote:
  
> I have submitted "Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML Schema
> Definition Language", draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-00.txt,
> via the Internet-Drafts submission tool, but had to do it via a
"manual
> entry" due to administrative complications.  Manual submissions can
> take up two business days to process.
>  
> In the meantime, I have posted a copy at
>
http://home.comcast.net/~bobnatale/draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-x
> sd-00.txt.

I see the following text:

   This document concerns the SMI datatypes that are carried "on-the-
   wire" -- i.e., have tag values defined in the SMI carried in
varbinds
   in SNMP PDUs -- between SNMP management applications and SNMP
agents:

   o  INTEGER
   o  Integer32
   o  Unsigned32
   o  Counter32
   o  Gauge32
   o  TimeTicks
   o  Counter64
   o  OctetString
   o  Opague
   o  IpAddress
   o  ObjectIdentifier

By the very nature of ASN.1, values of any type carried in an SNMP
varbind list have a tag. If your idea is to look at types with
distinct tag values, then the list does not make sense since INTEGER
and Integer32 or Gauge32 and Unsigned32 use the same tag.

Perhaps it is better to talk about SMIv1/SMIv2 base types.  This term
is used in several places in RFC 2578.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg
_______________________________________________
MIB2RDML mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib2rdml