Subject: Cabot Software's Spring '99 Newsletter

From: newsletter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:04:57 +0100

CABOT SOFTWARE SPRING '99 NEWSLETTER

CABOT'S LATEST IDEAS AND PRODUCTS:
FOR DIGITAL TV

---------------
INDEX
---------------

* DOTRANS - Internet to Digital TV software product

* MHEG-5 SOURCE CODE - Price breakthrough for source code

* DOLITTLE - World's first universal authoring tool

* PRINTER DRIVERS - Drivers for set top boxes

* DATA BROADCASTING - via satellite provides faster and
  cheaper data transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOTRANS: An Internet to Digital TV Productivity Tool
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cabot claims another world first with Dotrans (short for Dolittle 
Translator) a software translator which converts HTML into MHEG-5 
for Digital TV developers. ONdigital has chosen MHEG-5 as the 
software standard for Digital Terrestrial TV.

Dotrans enables content from the Web and Portals to be converted 
from HTML pages to MHEG-5 scenes and then broadcast for the 
Digital TV terrestrial network.

"Dotrans is the first of a family of productivity tools aimed 
specifically at reducing the cost of producing interactive content 
for the Digital TV market" states Kenneth Helps, Managing 
Director of Cabot Software.  

Developers will be able to produce content with their favourite HTML
development tool and then using Dotrans convert the HTML content 
into MHEG5.

Dotrans is the ideal product for advertising agencies, broadcasters,
content providers, Web site authors and multimedia developers to 
help reduce time and conversion costs, when creating content for 
Digital Terrestrial TV.

Dotrans is supplied with a graphical interface, tour guide to MHEG-
5 and HTML, help screens, a colour coding feature to identify text 
converted and a guide on converting GIF images to the new WEB 
and Digital TV standard PNG image format.

Dotrans is available for MS Windows and Windows NT, costing 130 
UK Pounds plus delivery and VAT.  Dotrans can be ordered from 
Cabot's web site http://www.cabot.co.uk or via Cabot's sales desk.

Screen shots, an operational schematic of Dotrans 
and a detailed fact sheet are available via Cabot's 
web site 

---------------------------------------------------------------
MHEG-5 Source Code for 1,000 UK Pounds
---------------------------------------------------------------

MHEG-5 used to sell for 150,000-200,000 UK Pounds, now Cabot 
has followed Sun Microsystems in offering low cost affordable 
source code.

Cabot's MHEG-5 product complete with source code (67,000 lines 
of 'C' code) for an amazing 1,000 UK Pounds or $1600.  Royalty 
payments of 1.50 UK Pounds or $2.50 per unit.  See Web site for 
full details

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DOLITTLE: Universal Authoring Tool for Digital TV
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In a major breakthrough, the Bristol based company Cabot 
Software has designed and is developing the world's first universal 
authoring tool for digital TV, aimed at multimedia software 
developers of interactive advertising and other enhanced TV content.

In the past, advertising agencies, corporate advisers, multimedia 
developers and broadcasters have had to develop interactive 
content separately for each technical platform used by satellite, 
cable and terrestrial broadcasters - because each of these 
platforms is incompatible with the others.

Dolittle, Cabot's universal authoring tool, enables a developer to 
create an interactive advertisement or application just once, and 
then run it on any UK broadcast platform - including satellite 
(OpenTV's software), terrestrial (MHEG-5) or cable (HTML-based) - 
all at the touch of a keystroke.

Dolittle is graphical and Windows-based, making it extremely easy 
to use, and will be available to run on MS Windows and Windows 
NT.  

Full operational details of Dolittle are under wraps until the release
date in September 1999. 

----------------------------------------------------------------
PRINTER DRIVERS FOR SET TOP BOXES
----------------------------------------------------------------

Cabot has teamed up with a world leader in developing printer driver
technology for Digital TV receivers and is currently in discussion 
with Canon & Epson to provide a low cost inkjet printer for the DTV 
consumer market.

Cabot now offers a range of printer driver development technology, 
which can be used for Digital TV set top boxes.

Contact Ken Helps for pricing options on developing a printer driver
for your set top box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DATA BROADCASTING VIA SATELLITE: CABOT 
COMMUNICATIONS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cabot Software has a sister company called Cabot 
Communications. Cabot Communications is a service provider for 
Astra-Net. We provide business services for data broadcasting of 
information across Astra satellite platforms.  

Satellites provide the ideal platform for multimedia and data
distribution, offering flexible and cost effective solutions to a variety
of corporate and service provider requirements.  Benefits include low
cost; an industry standard interface to the client's computer 
system; technology ideally suited to match the demand for fast, 
reliable data transmission; one to any number of users across 
Europe can be addressed instantly and simultaneously. 

ASTRA-NET is an open and neutral communications platform, 
which uses the Astra Satellite System for the transmission of a 
wide range of broadband satellite services across Europe. This can 
be directly to PCs in businesses and homes, at substantially 
accelerated speeds (up to 6.5 Mbit/s to individual PCs), compared 
to standard telephone or ISDN lines. 

CABOT COMMUNICATIONS specialises in providing a complete 
"end to end system" for data and multimedia communications via 
digital satellite. Its link with Astra means Cabot Communications 
can offer cost effective and reliable satellite based solutions, to 
increasingly sophisticated corporate communications 
requirements. 

If you require any further information please contact Diane Liddicoat 
at [email-masked]

--------------------	
CONTACT US
--------------------

Mail:  1-4 Portland Square, Bristol, BS2 8RR, England
Telephone:  0117 944 2454 
International:  +44 117 944 2454 
Fax:  0117 944 2457 
E-mail:  [email-masked]
            [email-masked]

Web Site: http://www.cabot.co.uk

To subscribe or unsubscribe send E-mail to: 
[email-masked].