Subject: silence suppression in SDP

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 15:05:59 -0500

We are working on implementations of H.248 (MEGACO) and one need is to
control silence suppression on RTP connnections for some codecs.  H.245
carries this along with other media parameters during media channel
negotiation.  It would seem that H.248
(text mode) and SIP that use SDP for media channel specifications would
need the same feature, but RFC 2327 for SDP does not have such a
parameter.

draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-atm-02.txt introduces such a feature for ATM
bearer connections but there appears to be no such feature for RTP
bearer connections.

Am I missing something?  Has this been discussed in the past?  Is there
another way this should be done or is it common belief that this should
be outside SDP?

I notice that there is a new I-D on SDP.  I assume that this indicates
the beginning of work on a new version.  Would it be appropriate to add
support for silence suppression similar to the sdp-atm specification to
the new SDP?

--
------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Pager:800.759.8352 pin 1704572   [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies/ Voice Over IP Access Networks/ Applications Grp
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla