Subject: Re[2]: RTSP terminology

From: John H Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 97 09:02:00 PST

Text item: 

I believe that, if RTSP defines Stream and Session carefully, uses them 
discriminately, and relates them to the corresponding terms in RTP and 
SDP, that would be the best solution. 

People in this field are familiar with these terms, and the language 
naturally includes them...it would be difficult to make a radical 
departure.

I also agree with Mark on the problem with the term "event" (and also 
its real-time connotations).

John 

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: RTSP terminology
Author:  [email-masked] at SMTPGATE
Date:    3/7/97 10:04 AM

>stream - one audio/video/... flow of data (like an RTP Stream, or a
>DSM-CC stream)
>
>event - the whole show/movie/presentation/concert/..., with a single
>timeline and one or more streams.

Event is already a pretty overloaded term.  I think you'll end up
talking about events (occurrences) in the event (session).

>We avoid the word "session" since it is used in sligthly different ways
>in RTP and SDP.

Personally, I'd use the word session rather than event (session is
less overloaded than event is, and is consistent with SDP/SAP/SIP).  I
don't think there's a problem so long as you include a glossary.  I've
been trying to think of alternatives, but can't think of one that I
like...

Mark

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Sender: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 10:04:34 -0500
Subject: Re: RTSP terminology
Cc: [email-masked]
To: "Henning Schulzrinne (BL)" <[email-masked]>
From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
el.com (8.8.5/8.7.3) with SMTP id HAA25686; Fri, 7 Mar 1997 07:47:44 -0800 (PST)

Received: from mailbag.jf.intel.com (mailbag.jf.intel.com [134.134.248.4]) by re
lay.jf.intel.com (8.7.6/8.7.3) with ESMTP id HAA24906; Fri, 7 Mar 1997 07:45:18
-0800 (PST)
Return-Path: [email-masked]