Subject: Re: sap specs and implementations

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:37:19 -0400

[Replies redirected to [email-masked]]

--> Markus Buchhorn writes:
>G'day All
>
>I've just been working on a (perl) sap listener and decoder, and following
>the latest sap-v2 (-06) draft. This has led to a couple of questions :-)
>
>Firstly - what other sap announcers are out there? I can see plenty of
>versions of sdr sending sapv0 and sapv1/2 packets, and I think also Peter's
>mstar stuff, but no others. I'm looking for some to test my decoder
>against, and also test the authentication parts (which sdr doesn't appear
>to let me get at). (At the same time what listeners are there? I'm also
>writing a sap announcer, so need somebody else to check against.)

I believe the Cisco IP/TV folks have an implementation. There are 
some versions of sdr which support the authentication - ask on the
[email-masked] mailing list for details.

>Second - does *anybody* actually use the msg id hash field as they "SHOULD"
>(and also not set it to zero as they "SHOULD" not)?

Don't know...

>Finally - a tiny comment on the draft. In section 5 under Session
>Modification, it says 
>
>>A pre-announced session can be modified by simply announcing the modified
>>session description.  In this case, the version hash in the SAP header MUST
>>be changed
>
>There is no field called the 'version hash' - there is a 'version' 3-bit
>and there is a 'msg id hash' - you want the latter, right?. 

Right. Minor typo to fix, I guess.

Colin