Subject: SIGCOMM 2000 Call for Participation

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 17:24:24 -0700 (PDT)

Call for Participation
		     ACM SIGCOMM 2000 Conference

		    August 28 - September 1, 2000
		    Grand Hotel, Stockholm, Sweden
		http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm2000
		       [email-masked]

Deadlines:

Proposals for student travel grant:	June 22, 2000
Proposals for poster session:		July 12, 2000
Advance registration ends:		July 28, 2000
Outrageous opinions desired:		starting August 25, 2000

SIGCOMM 2000 is the annual conference of the Special Interest Group on
Data Communication (SIGCOMM), a single-track, highly selective
conference with a technical program of 26 papers, tutorials by noted
instructors on the two days prior, and sessions on speculative results.

Early registration for Sigcomm 2000 is now open. Registration details,
as well as information on student travel grants and requests for
proposals for a work-in-progress poster session are available at the
Sigcomm website above.

Registration

Conference and hotel registration is handled by the Stockholm Convention
Bureau (see address below, or website above). Note that the number of
delegates is limited to 500 and that registration requests will be
handled on a "first-come-first-served" basis. Please refer to the web
form or paper form for various rates and options. ACM has selected Delta
Air Lines as the Official airline for its conferences in Europe for
2000. Delta has special fares in place for ACM and your traveling
companions. See the website for further details.

Sigcomm registration is by secure web form, or fax or ordinary mail.
On-line registration is available at the Sigcomm website; fax and
ordinary mail registrations must be completed well in advance of the
deadlines, using this PDF form sent or faxed to the address below:
	   https://www.it.uu.se/conf/sigcomm2000/register.pdf 
	   http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm2000/register.pdf

           Stockholm Convention Bureau 
	   ACM SIGCOMM 2000
           P O Box 6911
           SE-102 39 Stockholm, SWEDEN
           Phone: +46 8 546 515 00 / Fax: +46 8 546 515 99

Opening Reception and Dinner events

The reception is generously hosted by Stockholm City, and includes a
sightseeing cruise on the water ways of Stockholm, through the Old Town
to the City Hall, site of the famous for the Nobel Prize festivities.
The banquet dinner is hosted at the Vasa Museum, site of the Sweden's
largest and most prestigious warship; dinner is included in the cost of
registration, and guest tickets are available. Advance reservations
necessary for all events.

Stockholm - the Royal capital of Sweden - is one of the most beautiful
cities in the world. It is built on fourteen islands and surrounded by
waters so clean that you can fish and swim right in the middle of the
city. Stockholm became the capital of Sweden 750 years ago. In the
winding alleyways of the city's medieval Old Town, the air is redolent
with history.  And yet, only a few minutes walking distance away lies
the throbbing pulse of a modern city.

SIGCOMM Award

The SIGCOMM Award is given annually to a person whose career and
technical achievements demonstrate a long-term commitment to the field
of data communications. ACM SIGCOMM is pleased to announce that the 2000
SIGCOMM Award is being given to Prof. André Danthine, University of
Liege, Belgium, who will also provide the keynote address.

Tutorials

SIGCOMM 2000 begins with two days of full-day tutorials covering single
topics in detail at both the introductory and advanced level.  Tutorials
offered this year are:
 - Voice over IP	
	   Prof. Henning Schulzrinne, Columbia Univ.
 - Analysis of Network and Protocol Behavior with Common Tools
	   Prof. Shawn Ostermann, Ohio Univ.
 - Network Security Protocols
	   Dr. Radia Perlman, Sun Microsystems
 - Distributed control and resource pricing
	   Dr. Richard Gibbens, Univ. of Cambridge
	   Dr. Peter Key, Microsoft Research

Outrageous Opinions Session

The Outrageous Opinions Session provides an opportunity for sharing
entertaining, provocative, and otherwise enriching ideas and suggestions
in their early stages. Submissions are actively solicited by the OO
Chair Gary Delp ([email-masked]) beginning August 25, 2000.

Poster Session - Work in Progress

The Poster Session is an opportunity for students (as primary poster
authors) to present work in progress.  Poster proposals should be sent
to the PC chairs by July 12.  Posters will be reviewed by the TPC, and
decisions made by early August; see the website for further details.

Student Travel Awards

The student travel program provides support for SIGCOMM conference
participation to students, primarily not paper authors, who would
otherwise find it difficult to attend. Students at degree granting
institutions throughout the world are eligible.  See the website for
further criteria and application procedures.

General Co-Chairs
	Per Gunningberg, Uppsala U., Sweden ([email-masked])
	Steve Pink, Lulea U. Tech., Sweden ([email-masked])
Program Co-Chairs
	Christophe Diot, Sprint ATL, USA ([email-masked])
	Jim Kurose, U. Massachusetts, USA ([email-masked])
Publicity Chair
	Joe Touch, USC/ISI, USA ([email-masked])
Tutorials Chair
	Steve Pink, Lulea U Tech., Sweden ([email-masked])
Local Arrangements Co-Chairs
	Bengt Ahlgren, SICS, Sweden ([email-masked])
	Christian Tschudin, Uppsala U., Sweden ([email-masked])

Support from Ericsson, Telia, and Sprint is gratefully acknowledged.
The student travel grant program is supported by Nokia and the US
National Science Foundation.