Subject: FYI: ID on sip-xcast

From: Bart Van Doorselaer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:48:22 +0200

The official announcement has not yet come through (or at least I did
not
see it yet), but following draft is already available:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-doorselaer-sip-xcast-00.txt

"SIP for the establishment of xcast-based multiparty conferences",
Dirk Ooms, Bart Van Doorselaer, 07/18/2000. (41589 bytes)

Explicit Multicast (xcast) is a multicast scheme that uses an explicit
list
of destinations instead of one logical multicast address. Explicit
Multicast
complements the existing multicast schemes in that it can efficiently
support
very large numbers of distinct (small) multicast groups and thus can
play an
important role in making multicast practical for applications such as
multiparty IP telephony, various conferencing & collaborative
applications,
multiparty networked games, etc... This document explains how multiparty
IP
telephony conferences making use of xcast can be established by SIP
carrying
SDP. Some open issues will be identified and discussed. Possible
extensions
to SIP and SDP to streamline the use of xcast will be suggested as well.

Cheers,

Bart

-- 
                                              ____________________
Bart Van Doorselaer                           \                  /
_______________________________________________\                /____
                                                \              /
Research Engineer                                \  ALCATEL   /
DN2                                          Network Strategy Group
Tel   : +32 3 240 86 41                      Francis Wellesplein  1
Fax   : +32 3 240 99 32                     B-2018 Antwerpen Belgium
_____________________________________________________\    /__________
mailto:[email-masked]                 \  /
                                                       \/