Subject: Re: A few questions on REGISTER

From: "Anoop Tripathi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:09:07 -0500

>>Why not? Lets say the registration is forcefully expired because of
>>policy, but the UA is not informed. What behavior in the UA is changed
>>because of this expiration? (I'd like to avoid feature creep in SIP, so
>>unless there is an absolutely clear need with a real application, I'm
>>not convinced).

The change of behaviour that I see is the UA might not receive any calls ,
becuase the Server (Proxy+Registrar) no longer considers it a valid endpoint and
drops all the requests ( with appropriate error responses to the originator of
the call ) intended for this UA.

The UA is unaware of this becuase it thinks it is still registered.

-Anoop

---

From: "David Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 10:58:06 -0400

I think some of the confusion has to do with the fact that being
"registered" in H.323 is a very different semantic from being "registered"
in SIP. In SIP, being "registered" is simply telling a SIP server that
you're around and if a call comes in for you where you'd like to get it. In
H.323, being "registered" represents a binding between you and a gatekeeper.
One interesting side effect of this is that in H.323 you are only allowed to
be registered with one gatekeeper at a time (a misfeature IMHO), while in
SIP there's nothing stopping you from registering with as many servers as
you like. This way I can ask both MCI and "Joe's sleazy fly by night find me
follow me service" to direct calls to me if they come in.

So, with H.323 you really need the functionality of knowing when a GK is
about to meet its maker, so you have some prayer of registering elsewhere
when it dies. With SIP, if you want, you can register lots of places.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Anoop Tripathi
> Sent: Monday, September 27, 1999 10:09 AM
> To: Jonathan Rosenberg
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: A few questions on REGISTER
>
>
>
>
>