Subject: Re: RTSP

From: David Oran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:18:44 -0400

At 12:13 PM 10/15/96 -0700, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>Hi Scott,
[SNIP]
>Certainly this is going to be more than just playback of on-demand.  We see
>this as being a control protocol layered on top of RTP to provide the
>control elements necessary for widespread RTP use.  We currently are
>focusing on the need to control playback in the near term, but we have
>definitely set our sights on controling all aspects of transmission, because
>we have a need to standardize all elements of media delivery.
>
Rob, I'm curious what you see as the scope of "controlling all aspects
of transmission". Could you give some examples outside the VCR-button
domain of what you envision?

Just to stimulate discussion, what about an I-Phone conference using RTP
and you want to put the phone on "hold". Is that in the scope of RTSP, part
of the IK-phone session protocol, or something that belongs in RTCP?

Thanks, and looking forward to further enlightenment.

-----------------
David R. Oran
Cisco Systems			Direct: 408-527-0567
7 Ladyslipper Lane		Home Office: 508-264-2048,  Home: 508-263-2705
Acton, MA 01720		EMail: [email-masked]