Subject: Question on RTSP: how to determin Content-Length for an entity ?

From: Faerber Tobias ICM MP PO8 RD MCH83 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:56:20 +0200

in RTSP protocol (RFC2326) I find for the Content-Length determination with
hint to HTTP protocol that the Content-Lengh is the decimal number of
octets, so for me this means it is the number of chars, but in all examples
(like the one below,which I copied from RTSP 14.5) this number doeas not
match: In this case here they write "44", but if you count (together with
CRLF) you alway get to a much higher number. (I countet it eg.: "abc def"
for me is 7 for the length, so can anybody tell me how this has to be
counted ?)

M-C: 
RTSP/1.0 200 1 OK 
Content-type: application/sdp 
Content-Length: 44 

v=0 
o=- 2890844526 2890842807 IN IP4 192.16.24.202 
s=RTSP Session i=See above t=0 0
m=audio 0 RTP/AVP 0 

C-M: 
SETUP rtsp://server.example.com/demo/548/sound RTSP/1.0 CSeq: 2 
Transport: RTP/AVP;multicast;destination=225.219.201
..............................
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------
> Faerber Tobias		Siemens AG
ICM MP PO8 RD MCH83 	Information and Communication Mobile

> Tel:	+49 89 722 58578	Grillparzerstrasse 10 a
> mobile:  +49 175 5721351	81675 Munich, Germany
> Fax:	+49 89 722 59070	
mailto:[email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------

---

From: Jeff Ayars <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:10:09 -0700

This is an error in the example.  Content-Length should be just as in HTTP 
and define the size of the content portion of the method.  You may find 
other examples that seem to be off in the text as the draft version of SDP 
that was used at the time specified LF as the line delimiter, not 
CRLF.  It's likely a case of making more complete SDP examples over time 
while not updating the Content-Length header.

I added it to the bugs (464462) listed at 
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtspspec/

JEff