Subject: New Internet Draft <draft-sinnreich-interdomain-sip-qos-osp-00.txt>

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:27:58 -0500

The following Internet Draft has been submitted and I count to be discussed:
<draft-sinnreich-interdomain-sip-qos-osp-00.txt>
for the SIP Working Group.

         Title           : Interdomain IP Communications with QoS,
                           Authorization and Usage Reporting
         Author(s)       : H.Sinnreich, S.Donovan, D.Rawlins, S.Thomas
         Filename        : draft-sinnreich-interdomain-sip-qos-osp-00.txt
         Pages           : 23
         Date            : October 22, 1999

Abstract
IP communications such as telephony may require quality of service
equal or better than available on digital circuit switched networks.
Service providers will ensure QoS only if authorization and payments
are supported across the domains where the communication is taking
place. The message exchange for session initiation, authorization,
policy support, QoS and usage reporting is more complex than the mes-
sage exchange for each of the protocols in part for these functions,
since session parameters have to be passed between messages. The
inter-process dependencies require interleaving of messages from the
different protocols in a certain sequence to pass on the required
parameters.

Policy based QoS is provided by RSVP enabled routers and mapped to
802 style LANs. RSVP aggregation is used for Differentiated Services
QoS across the backbone.

The present document provides the framework and examples of the mes-
sage exchange between clients and servers on networks of Internet
service providers or corporate networks across a common IP backbone.
Outsourcing to a clearinghouse of inter-domain authorization and
usage reporting is also shown.

The draft has been posted at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sinnreich-interdomain-sip-qos-osp-
00.txt

The pdf format of the draft is available from the web site
http://www.greycouncil.com/sip/drafts/ (with other sip drafts).

The URL is
http://www.greycouncil.com/sip/drafts/draft-interdomain-sip-qos-osp-00.pdf

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
MCI WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081, USA