Subject: RE: new SDP in RFC 2543bis?

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:21:18 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Miguel A. Garcia [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 5:52 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: new SDP in RFC 2543bis?
> 
> 
> Hi:
> 
> I remember that in the MMUSIC meeting in London, Jonathan 
> mentioned that RFC 2543bis depends on the new SDP draft. 
> However, RFC 2543bis-04 references RFC 2327 (classic SDP). Is 
> this going to be fixed in new versions of RFC 2543bis? Or am 
> I missing something?

I don't think anything in the *current* SDP usage is dependent on SDP-bis.
The whole SDP/SIP issue was discussed at IETF, and the following was the
consensus of the meeting:

1. Appendix B of bis will be removed from bis. It will instead become a
standalone draft, done through mmusic.

2. This draft will not be sip specific, but rather define an offer/answer
paradigm with SDP.

3. The draft will only reference rfc2327, not sdp-bis. Thats because SIP-bis
depends on this draft, and if this draft depending on sdp-bis, SIP-bis could
not go to RFC until sdp-bis did. Since sdp-bis is going out as draft
standard, the bar is very high for that and it will likely take a very long
time until an rfc number is assigned (look at how long RTP has taken - YEARS
since it was started, and still not done). The only real issue is the
a=inactive attribute. My easy fix for that is for the offer/answer draft to
reference rfc3108 (ATM SDP) which defines this for the first time.

4. SIP-bis will reference this new draft, explaining how to encapsulate the
offer/answer model into sip messages. 

The result is a nice generalization of a usage of sdp that is appropriate
for other protocols too, and a needed shortening of the sip-bis spec.

So, if anyone objects to this plan, speak now. I will be ripping this
appendix out of bis in about two weeks and resubmitting it as standalone at
that time.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com