Subject: RTSP play method while playing

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:22:27 +0200

Hi!

In RFC 2326 p. 34 bottom part, in the PLAY method it says:

A PLAY request without a Range header is legal. It starts playing a
stream from the beginning unless the stream has been paused. If a
stream has been paused via PAUSE, stream delivery resumes at the
pause point. If a stream is playing, such a PLAY request causes no
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
further action and can be used by the client to test server liveness.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In a response to play without range while playing, what shall the server
do with RTP-Info? The RTP-Info is required according to table in the
beginning of chapter 12, but my opinion is that it lacks meaning in this
case.

By the way how is the work with the draft standard RTSP version going?

Regards

Magnus Westerlund

Audio Technology, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson Radio Systems AB  | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

---

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 12:42:06 -0800

>pause point. If a stream is playing, such a PLAY request causes no

I agree.  I don't know if any implementation out there is actually using 
the PLAY request as described, and in retrospect, I don't think it was a 
good idea to add this (we should have a "PING" method if that's what we are 
really doing).

Could you add this as an issue on the SourceForge tracker?

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=377744&group_id=23194&func=browse

>By the way how is the work with the draft standard RTSP version going?

It's been on my TODO list for some time.  Given that I'm about to go on the 
road until 11/14, It looks unrealistic that we could actually get something 
done by the 11/14 cutoff, but we could still have something done by the 
actual meeting.

I've got a half-composed reply to your long email from a while 
back.  Actually, it'd be really helpful if you could get those issues in to 
the SourceForge tracker as well.

Thanks
Rob