Subject: SDP not-quite-last-call

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:06:13 -0500

I plan to issue a new SDP draft in the next couple of days, and then
issue a last-call on it.  So far I've only made minor editorial
changes from the existing draft.  If there's anything you know is
still outstanding that I've forgotten about, now would be a good time
to remind me.

Mark

---

From: Tie Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:32:26 +0100 (MET)

> still outstanding that I've forgotten about, now would be a good time

Good.

I have found a problem in its implementation in sdr. Sdr seems not to
correctly interpret the following field:

m=<media> <port> <transport> <fmt list>

when we provide number of ports. Example:

m=video 3456/4 XXX/YYY 0

In sdr, we see media video, port 3456, proto /4, format XXX/YYY.
I am using sdr.sunOS5.V2.3a1.

Tie

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:35:21 -0500

>correctly interpret the following field:

Yes, sdr is not a complete implementation of all that's in the spec.
It does implement the majority of the spec though, and Precept's IP/TV
implements some of the others.  I simply have never had the time, and
never had access to a layered codec so not had the requirement either.

What sdr doesn't do but should is:
  use the bandwidth fields.
  use multiple groups or ports for a single media.
  use multiple formats for a single media.
  use the timezone field.

I consider all of these necessary parts of SDP, and the fact that sdr
doesn't implement them could be called a bug :-)

Mark