Subject: Updated SIP spec (-11)

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 11:23:13 -0500

You can find an updated version of the SIP spec at
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/drafts.html

The update reflects comments received during IESG deliberations. The
PostScript and PDF versions contain changebars; there's also an appendix
detailing the changes made in all versions. 

The somewhat more major items are:
- clarification of the DNS name resolution procedure (SRV);
- retransmission timer does exponential backoff;
- clarification and expansion of the SDP section to better cover the
different issues for unicast and multicast sessions;
- canonical header format for authenticated messages to ease proxy
operation;
- clarification of how to use basic and digest authentication with SIP
(new section).

Due to interaction between nroff and ASCII art, -9 and -10 had bits of
text (after section 1.4.5) reshuffled. This has been fixed, along with a
number of other formating and consistency problems.

With the possible exception of the timer issue, none of these changes
should affect existing implementations.
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   [email-masked]
Dept. of Comp. Sci.   ph  +1 212 939-7042
Columbia University   fax +1 212 666-0140
New York, NY 10027    http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs