Subject: RTSP 1f.: Sequence number moved to the header fields

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 23:59:11 -0700

Once upon a time, both SIP and RTSP had a sequence number in the top line
of the request (and the response), and HTTP didn't. Now only RTSP has
this. It's been suggested that we move this down to the RFC822 fields.

In Munich, everyone seemed largely indifferent, leaning toward not changing
this, for the following reasons:

  1. The sequence number is a pretty fundemental
     identifier of the message, not merely a property. It
     shouldn't be buried in the header fields.
  2. RTSP is a different protocol, so it can have a
     slightly different syntax

Discussion on this topic has taken a different direction on the mailing
list. See the "SIP, RTSP: sequence numbers" thread that has gone on since
Munich.

Back to your regularly scheduled sequence number debate, already in
progress.  Mail from Henning and Philipp on this issue express views not
put forward in Munich.

Rob

---

From: Philipp Hoschka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 13:25:23 +0200

.Mail from Henning and Philipp on this issue express views not
>put forward in Munich.

not true - I expressed this view in Munich, possibly not forcefully
enough to be memorable :-)

-Philipp