Subject: Reminder - CfP: International Workshop on Multimedia Middleware (M3W 01)

From: Tom Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Apr 2001 18:24:48 +0200

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
that has been posted to comp.os.research as well.

Please, find the Call for Papers to the International Workshop on 
Multimedia Middleware (M3W'01= enclosed. The workshop is held in
conjunction with ACM Multimediaj 2001 in Ottawa, Canada.

The deadline is now approaching! (May 15.)

--------------------------------------------------------

                              M3W'01
      International Workshop on Multimedia Middleware

             October 5th, 2001, Ottawa, Canada
          in conjunction with ACM Multimedia 2001
                http://www.ifi.uio.no/~m3w

Middleware technologies like the Common Object Request Broker (CORBA)
implementations, Microsoft's Distributed Component Object Model
(DCOM), and Java RMI have proved their suitability for "standard"
client-server applications. Middleware abstracts from particular
network services and allows application developers to focus on the
application. However, it is well known in the research community, that
today's middleware solutions are not suited for distributed multimedia
systems, and do not provide the required levels of adaptation and
configurability that is needed to accommodate the diversity of modern
distributed multimedia applications. The goal of the workshop is to
bring together researchers from academia and industry to identify why
today's middleware technologies and standards fail to appropriately
support multimedia applications and especially to discuss new
requirements, approaches, and solutions.

Areas of interest for this workshop include (but are not limited
to) the following topics:
- Experiences with middleware platforms in multimedia
  application domains
- The design and implementation of multimedia middleware platforms
- Performance analysis of multimedia middleware platforms
- Quality of Service and Realtime support in middleware platforms
- Stream support in middleware platforms
- Support for persistent multimedia objects
- Resolving heterogeneity in multimedia middleware platforms
- Services and APIs for multimedia application development (incl.
  security and management)

Format of the workshop:
-----------------------
To enable a highly interactive workshop, attendance will be limited to
about 50 participants. Participants will be invited based on the
originality, technical merit and topical relevance of their
submissions, as well as the likelihood that the ideas expressed in
their submissions will lead to insightful technical discussions at the
workshop.

Proceedings and submission guidelines:
-----------------------------------------
We seek short paper submissions describing original and unpublished
work. The page limit for submissions is four pages. All accepted
papers will be published in a proceeding printed by ACM. We strongly
encurage electronic submissions via the workshop's web page
(http://www.ifi.uio.no/~m3w).

Important dates:
-----------------
Submission Deadline:  May 15th
Notification:         June 15th
Final version:        July 15th

Workshop Co-Chairs:
-------------------
T. Plagemann, U of Oslo
F. Eliassen, Simula RL

Publicity Chair:
----------------
T. Kristensen, U of Oslo

Program Committee:
--------------------
G. Blair, Lancaster U
V. Cahill, Trinity C. Dublin
A. Campbell, Columbia U
R. Campbell, U of Illinois at UC
V. Goebel, U of Oslo
D. Ionescu, U of Ottawa
D. Karr, BBN
D. Schmidt, DARPA
M. v. Sinderen, U of Enschede
B. Thuraisingham, MITRE
W. Yu, U of Tromsø

--------------------------------------------------------

-- 
# Tom Kristensen                      (Research Associate) #
## Department of Informatics, University of Oslo          ##
### tel  +47 2285 2532  #  http://www.ifi.uio.no/~tomkri ###