Subject: RTSP End of Session message

From: Eric Fleischman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 09:24:46 -0700

Unless I've missed something, there seems to be a need to have a
mechanism available for the Server to inform the client that a data
stream has ended for certain "live" events. That is, the DESCRIBE method
would usually carry this type of information for "on-demand" sessions
and live events with known ending times. However, not all "live" events
have a pre-known duration to them. In this case we need a mechanism to
have the server inform the client(s) that the session is over. How do we
do this in RTSP?

On another topic, I am embarassed that my last Email message got
involved in a mail loop. (I only sent it to the list once. Honest!) Do
we have a solution for the two questions I asked in that message?

---

From: Bruce Butterfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 13:21:37 -0700 (PDT)

I believe this is a transport issue, not a control issue. Each stream in a
presentation can indicate 'last packet' (in the stream data, perhaps, or
as an RTP extension). When the last stream has completed, the client sends
a TEARDOWN request, or starts up another presentation. 

Typically I think it should be up to the client to end a session because
only it knows when the last packet has been received. Out-of-band control
can only serve as a hint. 

Bruce Butterfield <[email-masked]>  	Phone: (206) 674-2467
Progressive Networks			Fax:   (206) 674-3580
Software Development Engineer - Platform Group