Subject: Call for Papers - ACM SIGCOMM 2002 Conference

From: "Vivian M. Benton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:01:27 -0400

CALL FOR PAPERS
ACM SIGCOMM 2002 Conference
August 19-23, 2002, Pittsburgh, Pa

The SIGCOMM 2002 conference seeks papers describing significant research
contributions to the field of computer and data communication networks. 
Authors are invited to submit full papers concerned with the theory, practice,
and evaluation of networks. We are especially interested in innovative and
thought-provoking ideas across a wide range of topics related to networking.

Areas of interest include:

o Network protocols
o Algorithms, protocols, and systems for routing, switching, and signaling
o Network resource management and sharing, quality of service, operating system
support    for networking
o Wireless, mobile, and pervasive networking, networking with specialized
devices and sensors
o Experimental and measurement results from operational networks and protocols
o Network management, traffic engineering, 	and real-world experience
o Network fault-tolerance and reliability, debugging, and troubleshooting
o Peer-to-peer networking architectures, overlay-based network services and
applications, novel distributed applications and middleware
o Systems and protocols for video, audio, telephony, and games
o Web protocols and systems, content distribution networks
o Network security, vulnerabilities, and defenses
o Programmable network architectures and infrastructure
o Lessons about network scalability, insights and models of the structure and
behavior of communication networks

NEW THIS YEAR: SIGCOMM 2002 solicits submissions of "position papers"
articulating high-level architectural visions, describing challenging future
directions, or critiquing current design wisdom.  Accepted position papers will
be presented at the conference and appear in the proceedings. In addition,
SIGCOMM 2002 is open to proposals for panel discussions on timely and
controversial topics.  Panel proposals should include the topic and motivation
for the panel, the names of the panel chair and panelists, and an outline of
the format of the panel discussion.

Tutorials 
SIGCOMM 2002 will feature two days of full-day and half-day tutorials covering
single topics in detail, at both the introductory or advanced level. Proposals
should be sent to the Tutorials Chair and must include an extended abstract
(2-4 pages) containing a description of the topic and intended audience, a
biography of the speaker(s), and an indication of length.  Individuals
interested in submitting tutorial proposals are encouraged to contact the
Tutorials Chair before the deadline to discuss the proposed content.

Student Paper Award
Papers submitted by students may be considered for a student paper award. To be
eligible, a student or group of students must be primary contributors to the
paper. Such papers should be indicated as such on the paper submission web
page.

SIGCOMM Award 
SIGCOMM 2002 will begin with a keynote by the 2002 winner of the ACM SIGCOMM
Award for lifetime contributions to the field of computer communication.
Procedures for nominating candidates for the SIGCOMM Award can be obtained from
Craig Partridge ([email-masked]).

As in previous years, SIGCOMM 2002 will have a poster session and student
travel grant program. Visit the conference web site for details.

Submission details are available at:
        www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm2002/

Dates to Remember*
    Submission of abstract to register paper:
            25 January 2002 by 23:59 EST

    Submission of full paper:
            1 February 1 2002 by 23:59 EST

    Submission of tutorial proposal:
            15 February 2002

    Submission of position paper:
            1 March 2002

    Submission of panel proposal:
            1 March 2002 

    Notification of acceptance: 
	 22 April 2002
        	
    Camera ready papers:
	7 June 2002

*All deadlines are FIRM; unlike previous years, no extensions will be granted.

For more information:

General Co-Chairs
	Peter Steenkiste, Carnegie Mellon University
	[email-masked]
	Matt Mathis, Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
	[email-masked]

Program Co-Chairs
	Vern Paxson, ACIRI/ICSI
	[email-masked]
	Hari Balakrishnan, MIT
	[email-masked]

Tutorials Chair
	Srinivasan Seshan, Carnegie Mellon University
	[email-masked]

Publicity Chair
	Vivian Benton, Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
	[email-masked]

Local Arrangements Chair
	Janet Brown, Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
	[email-masked]

                                   '''
                                  (o o)
         ---------------------o00--(-)--00o------------------------

         "No one can make you feel inferior without your own 
         consent."
                                                  Eleanor Roosevelt
         ----------------------------------------------------------

[email-masked]