Subject: MBUS vs MEGACO

From: Christoph Reichert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:01:02 +0100

Henning has stated that MEGACO and MBUS try to solve the same problems.
Colin has stated that the problems are similar, but not the same.

As I understand the MEGACO approach after reading the drafts one time,
the main difference between both approaches seems to be the typical
szenario in which they are to be used.

MBUS favours the needs to control MM-Applications like the MBONE tools 
on an end-users workstation(s). MEGACO is intended to control probably
large and "heavy-weight" Telco equipment with high demands for robustness.

If it is correct that the instances of MM-applications can be represented
as MEGACO "Terminations" and a MEGACO "Context" can be used to group
all instances of MM-application belonging to the same conference, I
suggest the following:

1. the MEGACO drafts explicitly state that MEGACO can be used in the szenarios
   for which MBUS is intended

2. the exmaple section contain an simple example package how, let's say
   the robust audio tool RAT, can be controlled with MEGACO.

3. further work on local control for desktop conferencing systems
   produce a MEGACO package specification.

Best regards
	chris