Subject: qb - a new floor ctrl tool fro asking questions

From: Radhika Malpani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:29:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I work for Larry Rowe in the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center.
We have developed qb which is a floor control tool for MBone seminars. Qb 
allows MBone participants to ask questions and enables a moderator to do
floor control. Participants can indicate a desire to ask a question by
typing in a few keywords (or the actual question if they do not have a
microphone connected). The moderator can then either read the question and
verbally respond, or can grant the floor to the participant allowing him to
ask his question by talking into his microphone. Qb works in conjunction
with vic & vat.

We will be using qb tomorrow in the UC Berkeley Multimedia & Graphics
seminar for Lixia Zhang's talk. The tool is still very much in the alpha phase  so we are not currently doing a general release. However, we will release
the tool to anyone interested in being alpha testers and using it to ask
questions in tomorrow's talk. The title of the talk is "Network Architecture
Revisited: the case for datagrams"

Please send email to [email-masked] with information about your os if 
you would like to use qb tomorrow.

Thanks,
Radhika

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Radhika Malpani				[email-masked]
Berkeley Multimedia Research Center	http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~radhika

---

From: Carsten Funke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:11:33 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> you would like to use qb tomorrow.

I work for Carsten Bormann in the Digital Media & Computer Network
Research Group at the University of Bremen, Germany. Since I currently
seek information about multimedia conference control in the Internet
(just finishing my diploma thesis about this), I would be very
interested in qb.
I do not recognize the session in sdr - is the TTL possibly too
restricted to receive it in Europe?

Anyway, I would be very interested in taking a view on qb.

We are using Sun Solaris 2.5.1 on Sun Sparc Architecture.

Thanks & Bye,
   Carsten

-- 
Carsten Funke
email:   [email-masked]
www:     http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~oberon

---

From: "Lutz Grueneberg, RVS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:58:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> you would like to use qb tomorrow.
Yes, I'am interested. I use Solaris 2.5.1, also available are
Irix 6.2 and Linux 2.0.29.

Cheers,
 Lutz 
--
// Lutz Grüneberg                Lehrgebiet Rechnernetze und Verteilte Systeme
//                               Universität Hannover
//                               Schloßwender Str. 5
// [email-masked]     D-30159 Hannover, Germany
// Public PGP-Key available: http://www.rvs.uni-hannover.de/people/gruen.html
//                           http://bs.mit.edu:8001/pks-toplev.html

---

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 17:38:49 +0200

> ask his question by talking into his microphone. Qb works in conjunction

I am very interested in taking a look at your questionboard. We are
working on a system for floor control and session control for tightly
coupled sessions at the University of Mannheim, Germany
(http://www.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/informatik/pi4/projects/teleTeaching/publikationen.html).
Our system is designed for a distance education environment but should
be generally enough to support other conferencing scenarios. We use a
distributed, replicated state model which tracks the state of the
conference on each users machine. Our state model copies are
synchronized via an optimistic synchronization protocol.

I use Digital UNIX 4.0A. We also have IRIX 5.3 and Sun Solaris 2.5.1.

Thanks, Volker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volker Hilt			Tel:   +49 621 292 5053
Praktische Informatik IV	EMail: [email-masked]
Universitaet Mannheim		http://www.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~hilt/