Subject: H.323 / ISDN

From: Luis de Pieri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 09:43:31 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

	I'm thinking about the possibility of joining two H.323 LAN's with a
ISDN line, something like this:

                                      ISDN                                     
H.323 LAN<-->Router ISDN/TCP.IP<---------------->Router ISDN/TCP.IP<-->H.323 LAN

	Does anybody thinks that this configuration would allow videoconference
between the two H.323 LAN ?

	Thanks,
		Luis

---

From: Jim Toga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 08:40:18 -0700

>between the two H.323 LAN ?

Luis,

In fact, the orginal intent of H.323 was to bring ISDN-based (H.320) video
conferencing onto the LAN. (This changed slightly when more computer
manufacturers, as opposed to Telephony got involved)   One of the specified
components is a Gateway, which allows interoperation between H.323 endpoints
and any one of the H.320(ISDN), H.324 (POTS) or H.310 (ATM) protocols.

Obviously you could simply run IP over the ISDN line (i.e. remote LAN
access) and there would be no need for a Gateway.  I presume this is not
what you meant, since you mentioned 'two LANS.'

jimt

*************************************************************************
***  503.264.8816(voice)                503.264.3485(fax)             *** 
***  [email-masked]              Intel - Hillsboro, OR.        *** 
*************************************************************************