Subject: ACM Multimedia '96

From: Robert E Lamm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 11:38:21 -0500 (EST)

Can you publicize this within your group and anywhere else you think this 
might be appropriate?

Thanks!

-Bob Lamm
 MM '96 Publicity

___________________________________________

ACM MULTIMEDIA'96

November 18 - 22, 1996
Hynes Convention Center
Boston, MA, USA

PRELIMINARY CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

THE FOURTH ACM INTERNATIONAL MULTIMEDIA CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION

Sponsored by the ACM SIG Multimedia, SIGCOMM, SIGLINK, SIGMIS and
SIGGRAPH, in cooperation with SIGBIT, SIGIR, SIGCHI, and SIGOIS
(tentative lists)

Multimedia technology can substantially improve the communication
between information providers and consumers. It contributes to
the general accessibility of information, through new interactive
media as well as through new forms of production, delivery and
perception of existing media.  ACM Multimedia'96 will provide an
international forum for papers, panels, videos, demonstrations,
courses, workshops, and exhibits focusing on all aspects of this
multi-disciplinary field: from underlying technologies to
applications and issues, and from theory to practice. We invite
your participation.

Topics include, but are not limited to: applications in
art, education, entertainment, government, medicine, etc.;
collaboration environments; databases; digital libraries;
distributed systems; documents and authoring; hardware and
architectures; image, video and audio compression techniques;
information retrieval; interactive television; media integration
and synchronization; networking and communication; operating
system extensions; programming paradigms and environments;
standards and legal issues; storage and I/O architectures; tools;
user interfaces; and virtual reality.

ACM Multimedia'96 will be co-located with SPIE's Symposium on
Voice, Video and Data Communications, and Broadband
Communications Expo. It will overlap with CSCW, to be held in
nearby Cambridge.

Papers:
-------
Technical papers on completed or in-progress research,
innovative applications, or experience with multimedia systems
are solicited. Submissions must use a minimum of 10-point
typeface, and be up to 12 pages (preferably double sided),
including figures, tables, and references.  Where applicable,
prototype demonstrations or videotape presentations are
encouraged to supplement the papers. Papers must be accompanied
by an electronic cover sheet (see submission instructions below).
Submit complete papers to: Wendy Hall, Program co-Chair.

Outstanding papers on different areas of multimedia will be given
awards.  Papers with a student as the primary author will enter a
student paper award competition. A cover letter must identify the
paper as a candidate for the student paper competition. Selected
papers will be forwarded to ACM/Springer-Verlag Multimedia
Systems, Communications of the ACM, IEEE/ACM Transactions on
Networking, or ACM Transactions on Information Systems.

Multimedia and Art:
-------------------
Submissions by artists presenting innovative work in the field
are encouraged. A specific selection process and a special
Multimedia and Art session will take place. Submissions by
artists should include a paper presentation, a single VHS NTSC
video and demonstration requirements when applicable, and a
biography. Submit to: Art chair.

Panels:
-------
Panels are solicited that examine innovative, controversial, or
otherwise provocative issues of interest. Proposals should be
limited to 2 pages, plus a biography of at most one paragraph for
each participant.  Submit panel proposals to: Bob Allen, Panels
Chair.

Demonstrations:
---------------
We solicit demonstrations of working systems in technical and
artistic categories. Submissions (at most 2 pages) should include
a description of the exhibit, demo requirements, a biography, and
a single VHS NTSC video. Submit demonstrations to: Arding Hsu,
Demonstrations Chair.

Courses:
--------
There will be a series of 1/2-day tutorial courses, focused on
issues relevant to researchers and/or practitioners of multimedia
technology. Proposals (at most 5 pages) should include
a description of the subject matter and brief biographical
sketches of the instructors.  Evaluation of proposals will be
based on expertise and experience of instructors, relevance of
subject matter, and the use of multimedia technology in the
presentation. Submit tutorial proposals to: Rajiv Mehrotra,
Tutorials Chair.

Workshops:
----------
Workshops preceding the conference will allow participants to
exchange ideas on a topic. Workshop results and issues will be
integrated into the main body of the conference. Submit workshop
proposals to: Wayne Wolf, Workshops Chair.

Exhibits:
---------
Exhibits for ACM Multimedia'96 will be combined with those for
SPIE's Symposium on Voice, Video, and Data Communications,
offering vendors and publishers a unique opportunity to exhibit
and demonstrate multimedia products. For more information,
contact [email-masked]

IMPORTANT SUBMISSION INFORMATION

Authors should consult the World Wide Web
at http://www.acm.org/sigmm/MM96/ for more detailed submission
guidelines and up-to-date information about ACM Multimedia'96.

Authors of accepted submissions will be required to submit both a
camera-ready copy of the manuscript for the printed proceedings
and an electronic copy for the CD ROM proceedings.

Authors must assign copyright to ACM as a condition of publishing
their work in the proceedings. An author who embeds an object,
such as an art image, copyrighted by a third party is expected to
obtain that party's permission to include the object with the
understanding that the entire work may be distributed as a unity
to ACM members and others.

IMPORTANT DATES

All Submissions (6 copies for papers) due: April 24, 1996
Notification of acceptance:                July 15, 1996
Final submissions due:                     August 26, 1996

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE

General Chairs: Philippe Aigrain, IRIT, Univ. P. Sabatier,
Toulouse,
                France and V. Michael Bove, MIT Media Laboratory
Proceedings:    Lena Davis, MIT Media Laboratory
Electronic Information: Stephan Fischer, University of Mannheim,
                Germany and H. Zhang, CMU
Publicity:      Bob Lamm, Cync Corp.
Treasurer:      John Buford, University of Massachusetts
Eurographics Liaison: Jose Encarnacao, Fraunhofer-IGD, Darmstadt,
                Germany
Asian/Pacific Liaison: Yoshinobu Tonomura, NTT Human Interface
                Laboratory, Japan
Steering Committee Chairs: Steve Bulick, US West and Allan
Kuchinsky,
                Hewlett Packard Labs.

PROGRAM CHAIRS:

Wendy Hall
Dept. of Elec. and Computer Engr. University of Southampton,
Southampton SO17 1BJ
United Kingdom
Phone: +44-1703-592388
Fax: +44-1703-592865
[email-masked]

T.D.C. Little
ECS Dept.
Boston University
44 Cummington St.
Boston, MA 02215, USA
Phone: +1-617-353-9877
Fax: +1-617-353-6440
[email-masked]

Program Committee Members (to date):

John Buford, University of Massachusetts at Lowell
Shih-Fu Chang, Columbia University
Wolfgang Effelsberg, University of Mannheim
Carole Goble, Manchester University
Jorge Haake, GMD-IPSI
Wolfgang Klas, GMD-IPSI
Wendy Mackay, University of Paris
Klara Nahrstedt, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champ.
Brian Smith, Cornell Univiversity
Dan Swinehart, Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
Yuzuru Tanaka, Hokkaido University
William Tetzlaff, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Hirotada Ueda, Hitachi Denshi, Ltd.
Harrick Vin, University of Texas at Austin
HongJiang Zhang, HP Labs
Hui Zhang, Carnegie Mellon University

PANELS CHAIR:

Bob Allen
Bellcore, 1A352R
445 South Street
Morristown, NJ 07960
Phone: +1-201-829-4315
Fax: +1-201-829-5981
[email-masked]

DEMONSTRATIONS CHAIR:

Dr. Arding Hsu
Head, Multimedia/Video Dept.
Siemens Corp. Research
755 College Road East
Princeton, NJ 08540
Phone: +1-609-734-6548
Fax: +1-609-734-6565
[email-masked]

TUTORIALS CHAIR:

Rajiv Mehrotra
Dept of Math. and Comp. Sci.
Univ. of Missouri - St. Louis
8001 Natural Bridge Road
St. Louis, MO 63121-4499
Phone: +1-314-516-6342
Fax: +1-314-516-5400
[email-masked]

WORKSHOPS CHAIR:

Wayne Wolf
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544-5263
Phone: +1-609-258-1424
Fax: +1-609-258-3745
[email-masked]

ART CHAIR:
Watch the Web pages for further information coming soon.

GENERAL INFORMATION:
http://www.acm.org/sigmm/MM96/ or
http://www.uni-mannheim.de/acm96/

---

From: [email-masked] (Yahya Alsalqan)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:40:01 -0500 (EST)

The new Deadline is March 25th

			      Call For Papers -Extended Deadline

			   A WET ICE 96 WORKSHOP
 		  International Workshop on Enterprise Security
			      June 19-21
		    Stanford University, Stanford, California
		
		Co-sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society and the
		Concurrent Engineering Research Center (CERC) at 
			   West Virginia University
           
	       Hosted by the Center for Design Research, Stanford University
                          
==============================================================================
Enterprises are increasingly dependent on their information systems to
support their business and workflow activities.  
There is a need for
universal electronic connectivity to support interaction and cooperation
between multiple  organisations.  This makes enterprise security and
confidentiality more important, but more difficult to achieve, as the
multiple organisations may have differences in their security policies and
may have to interact via an inscure internet.  These inter-organisational
enterprise systems may be very large and so tools and techniques are needed
to support the specification, analysis and implementation of security.

This workshop will focus on the problems and challenges relating to
enterprise security in inter-organisational systems. We aim to biring
together principal players from both the internetwork and enterprise
security community and will provide plenty of time for discussion.   Topics
to be addressed include:

	- Specifying and Analysing Enterprise Security Policy
        - Role-Based Access Control
        - Security infrastructre for large-scale systems
        - Supporting enterprise security over the internet
        - Conflicts and harmonization of inter- and intra-organizational
             Security
        - Distributed Database Security
        - Secure Transactions
        - Security in Workflow Process
        - Object Oriented and CORBA Security
        - Secure Applications and Environments
        - Integrating Heterogeneous Security Environments
        - Managing inter-oranisational Enterprise Security
	- Internet Security protocols
	- Security Algorithms

This workshop will be part of the IEEE Fifth Workshops on Enabling
Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WET-ICE
96) organized by the Concurrent Engineering Research Center (CERC)/
West Virginia University and will be hosted by the Center for Design
Research, Stanford University, California.

Important Dates:
================
Papers Due			March 25, 1996
Panel Proposals			March 15, 1996
Authors notified of acceptance  April 19, 1996
Workshop			June 19-21, 1996
Camera Ready			June 28, 1996

INFORMATION FOR AUTHORS OF PAPERS TO BE INCLUDED IN THE PROCEEDINGS 
===================================================================
Mail six copies of an original (not submitted or published elsewhere)
paper (double-spaced) of 3000-5000 words to the Program Chair. Include
the title of the paper, the name and affiliation of each author, a
150-word abstract and no more than 8 keywords. The name, position,
address, telephone number, and if possible, fax number and e-mail
address of the author responsible for correspondence of the paper must
be included.

An e-mail submission in postscrip format will be accepted.

INFORMATION FOR PANEL ORGANIZERS 
================================
Send six copies of panel proposals to the Program Chair. Include the
title, a 150-word scope statement, proposed session chair and
panelists and their affiliations, the organizer's affiliation,
address, telephone and fax number, and e-mail address.

INFORMATION FOR AUTHORS OF POSITION PAPERS
==========================================
Send six copies of position paper of 2-3 pages to the Program
Chair. Include the title of the paper, the name and affiliation of
each author, a 150-word abstract and no more than 8 keywords. The
name, position, address, telephone number, and if possible, fax number
and e-mail address of the author responsible for correspondence of the
paper must be included. An accepted position paper will get less
presentation time than full paper.  

Program Committee
=================

Program Chair
	Yahya Al-Salqan
	Concurrent Engineering Research Center
	P.O. Box 6506
	886 Chestnut Ridge Road
	West Virginia University
	Morgantown, WV 26506
	USA

	Ph: (304) 293-7226
	Fax: (304) 293-7541

	e-mail: [email-masked]

Workshop Program Committee (Partial List):
==========================================
Takasi Arano, NTT Corp, Japan
Germano Caronni, ETH-Zurich, Switzerland
Chikuang Chao, AT&T, USA
Taher ElGamal, Netscape Corp., USA
Matthias Hirsch, BSI (Federal Department of Security in the Information
	Technology-Germany
Steve Kent, BBN, USA
W. Douglas Maughan, Technical Director, National Security Agency (NSA), USA
Clifford Neuman, USC/ISI, USA
LouAnna Notargiacomo, Oracle Corp., USA
Morris Sloman, Department of Computing: Imperial College, UK
Badie Taha, Al-Quds University, Jerusalem
Ravi Sandhu, Department of Information and Software Engineering,
	George Mason University, USA
Robert Thomys, BSI (Federal Department of Security in the Information
	Technology-Germany
Nick Zhang, CERC, West Virginia University, USA

Interrnet Hotline
================= 

Information on Enterprise Security Workshop may be obtained through
the WWW using the URL http://www.cerc.wvu.edu/SECWK/ 

You don't need to have a paper to attend the workshop.