Subject: RE: Draft Submission (floor control)

From: "Trossen Dirk (NRC/Boston)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:16:37 -0500

Henning, 

I agree that this section is pretty (maybe too) short.

Assuming that the percentage of people that want to introduce an H.323
(-like) 
system in the Internet as a conferencing framework is rather low, it
would 
come to the point to evaluate existing Internet (SIP) solutions
regarding their
functionality with respect to what is agreed to be necessary for
conference course
control. 

That's exactly the approach, that I tried to outline in the draft, in
particular 
in Section 8, namely
- define requirements for conference course control solutions,
- define the services needed,
- evaluate candidates, such as centralized SIP or MC conferences, to
what
extent they fulfil the service requirements, and
- recommend certain candidates as standards for conference course
control solutions.
- (And maybe address missing pieces if there is enough interest for it)

Some parts of this work have already been done to some extent. There are
service 
proposals that had been submitted to the IETF, and there are certainly
solutions
for (parts of) the services required out there. 

This had also been the approach of the SCCP service proposal that had
been submitted 
to the MMUSIC WG in March. The problem is that after removal of the
appropriate work item
from the MMUSIC charter, there is no place in the IETF to address this
topic.
So I tried to start from scratch, i.e., raising interest for an
(officially non-existing) 
IETF effort in this area, formulating a problem statement, and trying to
figure out how to 
bring this topic back to the IETF, either as a work item within certain
WGs or as an own WG.

Regards,

Dirk

> > The draft, however, did not address this since it was targetted as a
> > problem statement. However, I could add a section that 
> already evaluates
> > candidates that are 'most likely'.
> 
> I think the section on existing solutions would be more useful if it
> addressed what functionality is available in the multicast and
> centralized case.
> 
> -- 
> Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs
>