Subject: Re: <del> - truly anonymous phone calls <del>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:50:36 -0400

Well, actually the PSTN can provide anonymous calls in a couple of
different ways. Several legacy connection schemes do not provide a calling
number (e.g., some PBX trunks, older cellular technology, interworking with
MF). Also, in the US at least, there is a feature which can be invoked that
will explicitly toggle a privacy indication. The network enforces this
privacy option at the terminating switch, so that the calling line
information is not delivered to the called party if the privacy indication
is set. State utility commissions determine if this privacy feature is made
available to customers within that state.

David Shrader
Bellcore
IN Design and Engineering

[email-masked] on 05/14/98 08:41:51 PM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: David Shrader/Bellcore)
Subject:  Two more SIP questions - truly anonymous phone calls and
      redirects

From: Scott Petrack@VOCALTEC on 05/15/98 02:41 AM
1. What is the correct way to make a truly anonymous phone call? The spec
says that a request MUST have a From: line in it. (In the PSTN, there are
no really anonymous calls, because the calling line always identifies
itself. I can do this in SIP by making the From: line something like
[email-masked].) Is there some protocol reason to disallow a
request with no From: line? Or should a request do something else.