Subject: TTL of zero in WinNT?

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 02:06:38 -0500

Has anyone had any experience with sending multicast packets with a TTL
of 0 under WinNT? We are getting the bizarre result that Windows sets
the TTL to zero, but sends the packets anyway.. We kind of need this for
all of these conference bus schemes.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:45:17 +0100

>all of these conference bus schemes.

I'm seeing the same problem -- WinNT 4.0 with service pack 4 installed. 

Colin

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:33:01 +0100

Colin

hypothesis - some smart NT soft-person uses loopback in a link level driver to
loop multicast packets, instead of havign a general abstraction of
loopback drivers, then forgets that by the time they get to the
link/mac level they cannot check the TTL, so they see a multicast
packet, loop it back, but send it on the wire with TTL=0

oops

"Captain"...
"Yes, Chekov"

"Captain, I think we can see the phasor bank multicast bus
control messages from those Klingon wessels"

"Chekov,, I thin you've got it - can we launch an attack now Spock?"
"There is a probability of 99.987% success against the entire klignon
fleet, if we use sdr version
11.3a2, Captain, and set the field strenght TTL to warp factor 255"

"OK, Chekov, you heard the man. Scotty, give us all the SNMP you've
got..."

"Captain, I think we can now truly say
NT wessels make the most noise"

"Spock, have that man tied to the first photon torpedoe...."

j.
this wouldn't hapen in a millenium of halloweens with linux:-)