Subject: ipv4 addresses in SDP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:38:11 +0530 (IST)

I have a query on the BNF for IP4-address in rfc 2327.

Consider the following in rfc 2327:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
   IP4-address =         b1 "." decimal-uchar "." decimal-uchar "." b4

   decimal-uchar =       DIGIT
                         | POS-DIGIT DIGIT
                         | ("1" 2*(DIGIT))
                         | ("2" ("0"|"1"|"2"|"3"|"4") DIGIT)
                         | ("2" "5" ("0"|"1"|"2"|"3"|"4"|"5"))

   DIGIT =               "0" | POS-DIGIT
   POS-DIGIT =           "1"|"2"|"3"|"4"|"5"|"6"|"7"|"8"|"9"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a mistake in the following production?
    decimal-uchar = ("1" 2*(DIGIT))

I ask because there's a similar rule for IPv4 addresses in the 
SIP-URL grammar (draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-00).
  IPv4address     = 1*3DIGIT"."1*3DIGIT"."1*3DIGIT"."1*3DIGIT
This rule unambiguously states that each token between the '.'
must not be more than 3 digits.

But SDP's ("1" 2*(DIGIT)) rule seems to suggest any number beginning
with a "1" and having atleast 3 digits.

If the intention was to restrict decimal-uchar to have values
between 0 and 255, then shouldn't the second production have been:
    ("1" 2*2(DIGIT))

Thanks.