Subject: Re: SDP URL Scheme

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 98 23:05:36 JST

Henning;

> Seems like we have this discussion every 6 months or so.

I have never seen such a discussion, a least on SDP URL.

> Why can't you
> just use the existing, standardized "data" URL and be done with it? That
> URL type was designed exactly for these types of mappings.

"data" URL? What is it and where is it standardized?

If you mean something like http URL with file extenstions such
as "html" or "ps", it is a URL for files, not for ports. It will,
also, cause unicast HTTP implosion, if a page containing the URL
is distributed with large scale multicast.

							Masataka Ohta

---

From: Philipp Hoschka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 22:10:42 +0200

>"data" URL? What is it and where is it standardized?

for what it is, see

ftp://ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-url-data-03.txt

this seems to be the latest version

it's not standardised, but netscape implements it, for example

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 98 6:49:41 JST

Phillip;

> ftp://ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-url-data-03.txt

Thank you.

It has no host part that it has nothing to do with SDPURL.

> it's not standardised, but netscape implements it, for example

Henning should learn a lot more about IETF process, URL and SDP, then.

						Mastaka Ohta

---

From: FUJIKAWA Kenji <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 13:07:13 +0900

From: Philipp Hoschka <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: SDP URL Scheme 
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 22:10:42 +0200

> it's not standardised, but netscape implements it, for example

Thank you for your information.

This URL may be useful for binary data,
but is not suitable to the purpose of
announcing location (address) information and 
some parameters for joining sessions.

Announcing location information is the original 
purpose of URL.
---------------------------------------------------------------
FUJIKAWA, Kenji @ Grad. Sch. of Informatics, Kyoto Univ., Japan
              WWW http://camino.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
                        TEL +81 75-753-5387 FAX +81 75-751-0482
                             e-mail [email-masked]
                             e-mail [email-masked]