Subject: call for papers (special issue of JPDC)

From: Ishfaq Ahmad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:31:52 +0800 (HKT)

Dear Colleagues:

Please distribute the following call for papers to other 
colleagues.

Thank you.

Ishfaq

#######################################################################
#                                                                     #
#           Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing             #
#                                                                     #
#                        Call for Papers                              #
#                 A Special Issue Focusing on                         #
#           Software Support for Distributed Computing                #
#                                                                     #
#######################################################################

Distributed and networked computer systems such as clusters of workstations 
are becoming the computational resource of choice for researchers
working in the area of parallel processing. There are several economic
and technical reasons motivating the increasing usage of such systems.
However, in order for such systems to behave like a single system in a 
seamless and transparent fashion, considerable research is required
for efficient management of resources, operating system support, programming
tools, and fast communication.  

Papers are solicited for a special issue of the Journal of Parallel
and Distributed Computing tentatively scheduled to be published in
September, 1999. The purpose of this special issue is to focus on 
the recent developments as well as newly proposed approaches and 
experimental results that can help to solve computationally intensive 
problems across distributed platforms. 

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

o Distributed system architectures 
o Operating system supports 
o Efficient communication, interfaces and libraries, 
o Scheduling, data distribution, and load balancer, 
o Experimental mapping/allocation algorithms
o Task migration facilities 
o Experimental software tools for programming
o Building Applications on networked systems
o Distributed shared-memory on a workstation cluster
o Distributed file server and I/O
o Fault tolerance issues 
o Performance considerations 

     Schedule:
    --------------------------------------------------
    | Submission deadline: October 1, 1998.	      |
    | Notification of Acceptance:  April 1, 1999.     |
    | Target month of Special Issue:  September 1999  |
    --------------------------------------------------

Authors should follow the Information for Authors at the end of each
issue of JPDC when preparing their manuscripts for submission. An
electronic copy of the manuscript, in Postscript format and viewable
with ghostview, should be submitted via electronic mail to one of the
guest editors by October 1, 1998. Alternatively, five copies of the 
complete manuscript can be sent to arrive by the same deadline. Submission 
should include authors names, affiliations, addresses, fax and phone 
numbers, email addresses, on the cover page. Only original manuscript 
will be considered. All papers will undergo a peer review process. Authors 
will be notified of the final publication decision by April 1, 1999. 

#######################################################################
#   Guest Editors, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing      #
#                                                                     #
#    Ishfaq Ahmad                                                     #
#    Department of Computer Science                                   #
#    Hong Kong University of Science and Technology                   #
#    Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong                              #
#    Ph: (852) 2358-6980, Fax: (852) 2358-1477                        #
#    E-mail: [email-masked]                                         #
#                                                                     #
#    Francis C.M. Lau                                                 #
#    Department of Computer Science                                   #
#    The University of Hong Kong                                      #
#    Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong                                         #
#    Tel: (852) 2859-2170, Fax: (852) 2559-8447                       #
#    E-mail: [email-masked]                                         #
#                                                                     #
#                                                                     #
#######################################################################

----- End Included Message -----