Subject: ASF Specification

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:47:33 -0700

Hi folks,

I just wanted to solicit comments on the "Active Streaming Format (ASF)"
specification that Microsoft announced with the support of Progressive
Networks, Intel, Adobe, and Vivo, and a whole buncha other companies who
are interested in putting the file format compatibility problem to bed.

I'm sure most folks here are more interested in wire protocols, but having
a common file format that all tools can use to record to and servers can
use to playback from is a very handy thing, so I'd really encourage you to
look at it.  The folks at MS have put together a very good web site over at:
http://www.microsoft.com/asf

The spec, open issues, and instructions for joining the mailing list are
all on the MS web site (e-mail to [email-masked], no subject,
body: "subscribe ASF your name" (no quotes))

This is *really* on the fast track (period for public comment ends
September 30).  After this, tool and server vendors will plow ahead with
the current version, and the spec will be submitted to a standards body for
future versions (destination TBD).

Now's really the time to get your two cents in on this.  There's a lot of
really knowledgeable people on this list who could usefully contribute to
this spec, and we'd love to hear what y'all have to say.

Thanks
Rob

---
Rob Lanphier               Voice: (206)674-2322         Fax: (206)674-2699
Program Manager-Protocols                         Email: [email-masked]
Progressive Networks-Home of RealAudio            Web: http://www.real.com
For more information on firewalls:       http://www.real.com/help/firewall
For more information on RTSP:                     http://www.real.com/rtsp