Subject: SDP: grammar for "phone"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:58:15 +0530 (IST)

I have a query on the BNF for "phone" in rfc 2327.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
   POS-DIGIT    = "1"|"2"|"3"|"4"|"5"|"6"|"7"|"8"|"9"
   DIGIT        = "0" | POS-DIGIT

   phone        = "+" POS-DIGIT 1*(space | "-" | DIGIT)
                    ;there must be a space or hyphen between the
                    ;international code and the rest of the number.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The POS-DIGIT in `phone' denotes the international code.
The grammar clearly says that the international code is a SINGLE,
non-zero digit.

However, the example given elsewhere (sec 6, to be precise) 
in the rfc assumes no such thing:
      p=+44-171-380-7777 
         ^^
     international code is two digits long!

A single digit for the international code seems a little too
restrictive. Was that intentional?

Thanks.

---

From: "Dr. Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:16:10 +0200

> The POS-DIGIT in `phone' denotes the international code.

No.

> The grammar clearly says that the international code is a SINGLE,

No.

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:54:53 +0530 (IST)

My sincere apologies, I misread the grammar.

The international code must _begin_ with a POS-DIGIT  and may be 
followed by zero or more DIGITs. 
So, it must have _atleast_ one non-zero digit, but there's no
restriction  on its length. 
Is that correct?

Thanks very much.

---

From: "Dr. Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:51:37 +0200

> restriction  on its length.

That is how I read it.
(Note that you must read both the formal grammar and the English language
comments to arrive at this conclusion.)
I think the intention is also that the country code does not itself contain
spaces or hyphens, but this is not clearly stated (or I can't find it).

Gruesse, Carsten