Subject: re:MPEG-4 operation with RTSP

From: "Vahe Balabanian" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Aug 1998 11:15 EDT

Correction: replace ftp.playground.net/pub/vahe by
http://www.playground.net/~balabanianvahe/vahe/

My sincere apologies, 

Vahe
----->Previous message Aug 29, 1998
Dear all,

This draft technical proposal describes how MPEG DMIF (Delivery 
Multimedia Integration Framework)  can be used with RTSP for setting 
MPEG-4 service sessions and subsequently detaching the service. DMIF 
creates an instance of DMIF RTSP augmented with QoS appropriate for 
each MPEG-4 stream and also makes use of the FlexMux to carry multiple 
streams on a single UDP or TCP IP flow. The stream control play/pause 
etc. using RTSP is executed directly by the MPEG-4 Systems Sync Layer. 

I unfortunately missed the deadline for the upload but
the file draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-mpeg4-dmif-00.txt
can be accessed with anonymous from ftp at 
192.58.194.75/pub/vahe or at
ftp.playground.net/pub/vahe

I will be at the Chicago meeting and will participate
Wednesday 13:00-15:00 in the MMUSIC session in 
Sheraton 5 for those who wish to discuss their
comments with me.

Thanks you,

Vahe Balabanian
[email-masked]
Phone: (613) 763-4721

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:51:51 -0400

>the file draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-mpeg4-dmif-00.txt

I should point out that the normal IETF way of doing things is to
submit drafts like this as a private draft ("draft-balabanian-rtsp-")
rather than as a working group draft.  This is NOT a product of the
MMUSIC working group and is not currently on our charter as being
within our scope.  

If you think it should be within the working group's scope, then you
should discuss that with the WG chairs and/or Area Director.  Only
then should you submit a draft as "draft-ietf-mmusic-".  Also I should
point out to you that the draft actually says "Audio/Video Transport
Working Group", which is not MMUSIC.

I'm not commenting on the quality of the draft itself - just pointing
out that currently DMIF has not been discussed in the context of RTSP
within this working group, and so there is no concensus yet over
whether DMIF is of any relevance, or if it is of relevance, how it
would be used.

Mark Handley (MMUSIC co-chair)