Subject: RFC 2543 / bug report

From: Bernie Höneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:23:34 +0300 (EET DST)

Hi,

I am writing a paser for the SIP protocol and found some problem in
RFC 2543. There is a mismatch between the ABNF spec and the examples:

ABNF:

  Contact = ( "Contact" | "m" ) ":" 
             ("*" | (1# (( name-addr | addr-spec )
             [ *( ";" contact-params ) ] [ comment ] )))

>From the examples, that use contact-params:

Contact: <sip:[email-masked]:3890;transport=udp>
Contact: <sip:[email-masked]:5080;maddr=spare.caller.com>

These exemples don't follow the ABNF Spec. the contact-params should be
outside the brackets.

Is this an already known bug?
Is there a bug-list available for RFC 2543 ?
What about a possible bug-list for RFC 2327 ?

Greetings
 Bernie

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:37:08 -0400

True, the contact parameters go outside the brackets. However, the
parameters in the example below are not Contact parameters. They are URI
parameters, and thus part of name-addr, which is why they are inside. An
example combining both:

Contact: "Mr. Smith"
<sip:[email-masked];transport=udp>;expires=3600

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen