Subject: weird announcement

From: Wieland Holfelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 00:01:31 +0100 (MET)

I asked allready some months ago but I just realized that the problem
still exists and so I thought it's time to ask again...

There are some weird announcements (e.g. the "Nasa - Space Shuttle
STS-87" and the "KBS 1 TV") that have strange email addresses and 
phone numbers attached to it. Strange enough that the last time 
I noticed that (some month ago, as I said), this was also in a 
NASA Shuttle announcement?

Here is the current Shuttle example:

v=0
o=shuttle 3088855304 3088855812 IN IP4 128.102.84.134
s=NASA - Space Shuttle STS-87
i=Space Shuttle Columbia <snip....>
u=http://quest.arc.nasa.gov
e=NASA ARC Digital Video Lab <[email-masked]>
e=Brian Tonner (UWM) <[email-masked]>
e=Referenzzentrum __ <[email-masked]>       
e=IN IP4 224.2.212.30/75
p=NASA ARC Digital Video Lab (415) 604-6145
p=Brian Tonner (at LBL) 510-486-5590
p=Brian Tonner (at UWM) 414-229-4626
c=IN IP4 224.2.16.22/127
t=3088850400 3091269600
m=audio 24434 RTP/AVP 0
c=IN IP4 224.2.16.22/127
m=video 59758 RTP/AVP 31
c=IN IP4 224.2.16.22/127

Interesting enough that the fourth "email" line in this announcement is
actually the "c=" information of the "USC-CS dgroup VR conference room
(private)" announcement... 

Anybody any idea what's going on here? I don't think that this is 
a bug in sdr, it rather might be some other tool that re-announces 
the announcements and mixes some entries up... 

-- Wieland
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wieland Holfelder                              University of Mannheim
Praktische Informatik IV                      Phone: +49-621-292-5679
L 15,16                                       Fax  : +49-621-292-5745
68131 Mannheim                     [email-masked]
Germany                    http://www.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~whd
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 18:16:05 -0500

>the announcements and mixes some entries up... 

Prior to sdr 2.2a22 there was a bug that carried email and phone state
forward from one session to the next.  This was fixed in sdr 2.2a22 in
Sept 1996.  But this bug doesn't explain the "e=IN IP4
224.2.212.30/75".

Also the session isn't listing the tool using the tool attribute, so
either they're using an unbelievably obsolete version of sdr, or some
other tool with a similar bug.

In case people don't know, the current version of sdr is 2.4a7,
available from http://north.east.isi.edu/sdr/
The changes list there lists the various bugs and when they were
fixed.

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 16:04:00

FYI, yesterday I saw several bogus announcements being sent from
192.32.200.90.  These included wrong email addresses (apparently copied
from other announcements).  Furthermore, the annoucements were being sent
out quite rapidly - about once per second - in violation of the SAP spec.

This may have been what you saw today.

"whois" shows this address as being registered to "Wellfleet
Communications".  This is now Bay Networks, right?

	Ross.