Subject: REDIRECT in RTSP

From: "Ram Kordale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:18:14 -0700

I was wondering why it would not be a good idea to allow the server to return
"redirect" information as a response to a client's  (SETUP) request.

I am thinking of a front end RTSP server that clients talk to first. This
server can figure which RTSP/Media server the client should really be talking
to based on load, availability etc.

Today's spec seems to handle it in the following manner:

C->S    SETUP rtsp://server1/....
        ...

S->C     RTSP/1.0 200 OK
        ...
        Transport: RTP/AVP; source=<server2's address>;...

S->C    REDIRECT rtsp://server1/...
        ...
        Location: rtsp://server2/...

Thus, while a different media server can be specified as a *response* to SETUP,
a different RTSP server cannot be specified. Allowing these to be combined
seems to be a very useful thing to do.

Has this been discussed? Any pointers to an FAQ?

Thanks.
Ram

-- 
Ram Kordale

---

From: "Ram Kordale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 16:51:48 -0700

Please ignore my previous query. I overlooked the Redirection status codes that
a server can return in response to a client's query.

Ram

-- 
Ram Kordale