Subject: Suggestions...

From: Fengmin Gong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1993 17:08:27 -0400 (EDT)

Eve, Abel, and all,

Thank you all for the nice discussions at Columbus.  I would like to
suggest that we start to produce the following specific docs
as a first-step to session protocol design and hope that it makes
sense to the group:

1. A reference model that include our view of the world, ie,

	Application
	Session control
	Media agent

It should include descriptions of each of the logical layers and
general definitions for conference control, session control
and session control protocol.  We need to make it clear that our
focus for the short-term is on session control and specify how 
it fits in the big picture (including RTP, Directory services, etc).

2. Specifications of session layer services (functions), its interfaces
to other layers/modules, and components of the session state.
It is here that we need to define the types of session styles we will
support (may also describe the ones we will support in the future).
I think there are three main criteria (or motivations) in differentiating
among styles:

* different styles abstract different kind of scenarios of conferencing
  in real life
* different styles entail different network connectivity requirements
* different styles entail different synchronization/coordination
  requirements, thus mechanisms

Defining the styles along these lines will help us indentify components
needed in the session state and the fields in the packet format of
session protocol later.

I remember that there were a lot of people expressed willingness to
do real work, do we have a plan to put these good "brains" and "hands"
to work?  If you guys (and gals included of course :-)) plan to put out a
first draft "strawman" or need addtional help, I am here.

Eve, would you please include the updated charter and schedule when you
send out the minutes for the BOF?

Thanks,
Fengmin