Subject: Draft MMUSIC Charter

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:38:30 -0500

Folks,

I enclose our draft for a new MMUSIC charter, comments would be appreciated. 

Note that the new mailing list is now ready for subscription, and that we
will be discontinuing use of the [email-masked] list shortly. You should
subscribe to the new list - we will not be automatically transferring
subscriptions.

Colin and Joerg

Multiparty MUltimedia SessIon Control (MMUSIC)
==============================================

WG chairs:

Joerg Ott, ipDialog, Inc. <[email-masked]>
Colin Perkins, USC/ISI    <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists: 

General Discussion:  [email-masked]
To Subscribe:	     [email-masked]
Info & Archive:	     http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic
Additional web page: http://www.dmn.tzi.de/ietf/mmusic/

Description of Working Group: 

The Multiparty MUltimedia SessIon Control (MMUSIC) Working Group (WG)
was chartered to develop protocols to support Internet
teleconferencing sessions.  These protocols are now reasonably mature,
and many of them have received widespread deployment.  MMUSIC is now
focussing on the revisions of these in the light of implementation
experience and additional demands that have arisen from other WGs
(such as AVT, SIP, SIPPING, and MEGACO).

All types of multimedia communications are based upon a common
platform for expressing media streams (session) descriptions. This is
the session description protocol, SDP.  The many uses of SDP have led
to (requests for) numerous extensions, and have led to recognition of
several flaws in the protocol design for key applications of SDP.
MMUSIC will revise the SDP specification suitable for publication as a
draft standard to address minor revision and further support the
current broad deployment.  Work on an SDP MIB will be considered.

A few extensions to SDP will be pursued to remedy the most urgent of
SDP's shortcomings: However, these are limited to, adding means for
identifying and semantically grouping media sessions, providing
limited expressiveness for simultaneous capabilities, offering support
to work with NATs and firewalls, and documenting the use of SDP in SIP
as a separate document.  Apart from these, only extensions within the
existing framework of SDP will be done -- such as registering new
codecs and defining parameters for them as well as extending SDP to
include new address families.

Instead, to address the more fundamental issues with SDP, a next
generation of SDP -- referred to as SDPng -- will be developed as a
standards track document.  A requirements document will be devised
that gathers the individual requirements from the areas in which SDP
is currently deployed.  Work on an SDPng MIB will be considered.

MMUSIC will continue to maintain and revise the specification of the
Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) based on implementation
experience.  The RTSP spec will be revised to include various fixes
and clarifications.  Depending on the changes, the revised RTSP spec
will be re-issued as Proposed or go to Draft Standard.  A MIB will
also be defined.

The WG's work items will be pursued in close coordination with other
IETF WGs related to multimedia conferencing and IP telephony (AVT,
SIP, SIPPING, IPTEL, MEGACO).  Where appropriate, new separate working
groups will be split off (as has happened with the SIP WG).

The Working Group is also charged with addressing security issues
related to the protocols it develops.

Goals and Milestones:

DONE   Submit ATM Extensions to SDP for Proposed Standard

DONE   Submit Mbus transport for Informational

DONE   Submit ATM Extensions to SDP for Proposed Standard

Dec 01 Submit SDP simultaneous capabilities for Proposed Standard

Dec 01 Submit SDP Flow Identification for Proposed Standard

Jan 02 Submit IPv6 Extensions to SDP for Proposed Standard

Feb 02 Submit revised SDP spec for Proposed (or Draft) Standard

Feb 02 Submit SIP's offer/answer use of SDP for Proposed Standard

Mar 02 Submit SDP4NAT for Proposed Standard (Informational?) 

Mar 02 Submit SDP key management for Proposed Standard

Apr 02 Submit SDPng base spec for Proposed Standard

Apr 02 Submit SDPng audio profile for Proposed Standard

May 02 Submit revised RTSP spec for Proposed or Draft Standard (as appropriate)

Jun 02 Submit SDPng video profile spec for Proposed Standard

Jul 02 Submit RTSP MIB for Proposed Standard

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:08:50 -0500

> Multiparty MUltimedia SessIon Control (MMUSIC)

It's not just for SIP, but for all answer/offer users of SDP.

> is currently deployed.  Work on an SDPng MIB will be considered.

Also, a strategy for co-existence and transitioning from SDP to SDPng would be
developed I believe.

> Feb 02 Submit SIP's offer/answer use of SDP for Proposed Standard

Not just for SIP, but any user of offer/answer SDP.

-- Flemming

> _______________________________________________
> mmusic mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

--
Flemming Andreasen
Cisco Systems