Subject: SIP-Encryption

From: Hans Viens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 14:33:02 -0400

Hi!

I would like to know if the Internet draft:
draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-sec-00.txt  is still valid ?

Here is a section of this draft:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------
3.6 PGP Supported Algorithms

  In order to maintain wide interoperability the algorithms supported 
  here follow [8] where fuller details can be found.

    1. Public Key Algorithms - Implementations MUST implement DSA [23] 
        for signatures and  Elgamal for encryption. Implementations 
        SHOULD implement RSA encryption [7].

    2. Symmetric Key Algorithm - Implementations MUST implement 
        Triple-DES [24]. Implementations SHOULD implement IDEA and 
        CAST5. Implementations MAY implement any other algorithm.

    3. Compression Algorithms - Implementations MUST implement 
       uncompressed data. Implementations SHOULD implement ZIP.

    4. Hash Algorithms - Implementations MUST implement SHA-1 [26]. 
        Implementations SHOULD implement MD5.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

Well, I just want to know what is the security algorithms that MUST be
implement in SIP ?

Thanks for all,

Hans...

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:54:49 -0400

> draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-sec-00.txt  is still valid ?

I'm surprised that this draft hasn't been removed yet, given that it
expired in Sept. 1998. It has (largely) been superseded by the PGP
specification in RFC 2543. The only exception is S/MIME, but the methods
described in the draft would probably have to be adjusted significantly
to fit into the current framework.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs