Subject: RE: Tired of the 9 to 5 yet?

From: "Buller, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 14:46:15 -0000

> >      To find out more, call Toll Free.   1-800-636-6773  ext 3886. 
> 
> Oh look - this spammer wants us to phone him - at his 
> expense!  I suggest
> that all US & Canadian residents on this mailing list take 
> him up on his
> offer, and let him know how much we appreciate his spam.
> 
> 	Ross.
Hi,

I would argue that after last weeks DoS attacks, such 
incitement to mass behaviour of any kind might be deemed 
an 'inappropriate' response. 

The 'spammer' - may not be a spammer. They may just be some 
individual holding a grudge against another individual or 
organisation. No offence intended Ross, but your mail could 
equally be part of such a charade.

However, this mail does raise a interesting and relevant 
point; how such a 'call to arms' inducing massive behaviour 
may adversely impact DCS implementations by overwhelming 
the terminating DPs/MTAs with (stage 1) INVITES. What, if 
any, mechanisms can be put in place to cope with this 
scenario? Of course, a similar situation might arise in a 
popular TV phone-in, though this should, to some extent, be 
more predictable, if not any the more manageable.

Kind regards,

Jim Buller

Roke Manor Research Ltd.
+44 1794 833697