Subject: Questions regarding the RTSP Protocol State Machines

From: Wayne Blackard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 14:42:44 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

I have the following questions regarding the protocol state machines in the
March 27 edition of the RTSP Internet-Draft:

1) From "Playing" or "Recording", does Teardown cause the state to change
   to "Init" or "Ready"?
	- the RTSP Internet-Draft specifies that the state is changed to 
	  "Ready".  However, this is inconsistent with the description of
	   Teardown in section 9.6 which states that the resources for 
	   the session/stream are freed.

2) From "Ready", does Teardown cause the state to change to "Init" or "Ready"?
	- the RTSP Internet-Draft specifies that it remains in "Ready" state;
	  however, it seems that if resources are freed, then the state 
	  should change to "Init".

3) From the server table, page 46, it shows that the only way to enter the
   "Recording" state is from the "Playing" state.  Is this correct?  It 
   seems to me that the normal way to enter the "Recording" state would be 
   to receive a Record command while in "Ready" state.

4) If in the "Playing" state and a Record command is received, what happens 
   to the stream that was being played?  Is it continued, paused, or torn 
   down?  Is the answer the same for the situation where the server is in 
   the "Recording" state and a Play command is received?

5) Does the server enter the "Ready" state at end of stream/file (i.e. like 
   a Pause command)?

Wayne Blackard
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
IBM (Video Server Products) TELE:     (512) 838-8901      TIE: 678-8901
Dept PTYA   MS 9571         FAX:      (512) 823-8487      TIE: 793-8487
11400 Burnet Road           INTERNET: [email-masked]
Austin, TX 78758            VNET:     BLACKARD at AUSVM6

---

From: [email-masked] (Anup Rao)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:21:30 -0700

>            the session/stream are freed.

Should be Init, its fixed.

>           however, it seems that if resources are freed, then the

Should be Init, its fixed.

>    to receive a Record command while in "Ready" state.

Again, you are right. We've added the appropriate line.

> 5) Does the server enter the "Ready" state at end of stream/file (i.e.

Yes, it does. We have put it in.

Thanks,
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------
  Anup Rao
  Member Of Technical Staff
  Netscape Communications Corp.
  email : [email-masked]         Phone : (415) 937 3129
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Anup Rao)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:21:30 -0700

Thanks,