Subject: Session Initiation Protocol

From: Mark Handley<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 96 19:09:45 -0500

As promised, Henning Schulzrinne and I had a meeting last week to come
to a conclusion regarding merging the existing SIP and SCIP drafts
into one common draft.

The resulting protocol can operate over both UDP and TCP, and has a
more MIME-like syntax than SIP did before.  One hope is that the
syntax is sufficiently close to Henning's draft-ietf-mmusic-stream
specification that SIP can be cleanly used to initiate playback
sessions into multimedia conferences as well as inviting users to
participate.  

The error behaviour for proxies is also much better defined in this
draft than it was in either previous draft.

Although it's not completely finalised yet (especially some of the
proxy behaviour when translating from TCP to UDP), I've written up the
resulting agreed protocol.  A draft is now available from:

  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/confctrl/docs/draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-01.txt
  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/confctrl/docs/draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-01.ps

It's not yet in the internet-drafts archives, but will be in due
course (I have submitted it, but obviously after the deadline for
submission before this IETF).

Mark