Subject: Clarifications on S U B S C R I B E/N O T I F Y - Resend

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:19:02 +0530

Hi,This is a resend - my past two attempts did not reach the list. Hope
      this one does. (Is there some autofiltering based on text in this
      list ?)

Hi, Im in the process of doing the S U B S C R I B E/N O T I F Y thingy and
have a few basic questions:

1. When the user first logs into his SIP Phone Client, I  want him to get a
list of all logged in user.
According to SIP for Presence (SFP), I simply need to send S U B S C R I B
E with expires:0 to get a list without
changing any state.
However, SFP only gives examples where I want to subscirbe to a specific
user, jdrosen. What is the syntax when I want to get all logged in users ?
A "*" ?

2.   Also, could you point me for a doc which discusses the BNF for
subscribe ?

3. The examples mention the uri as pip:<something>. However, since it is a
regular uri, can I use sip: instead without being non conformant ? I dont
want to use pip as of now.

4. Finally, a while ago I mailed to this list saying that Im returning the
list of users in a response to REGISTER request. I was told that this was
non sip compliant, but section 11 , point 2 (REGISTER vs N O T I F Y)
states that even REGISTER can return the present state. I agree that SUB.
is a better way, but returning the user list in response to REGISTER does
not seem against compliance as was indicated.
Do correct me if I am wrong.

Regds
Arjun