Subject: RE: Internet Streaming Media Alliance and MPEG4 on IP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:11:59 +0100

Marshall Eubanks wrote:

>Is this different from or in competition with the Audio Visual Transport
(AVT)
>working group in the IETF  ? Why is another standards body needed ? Why
didn't
>they present today in the AVT meeting (there is still another chance
>tomorrow) ?

This is about a standard at application level: "Fully interoperable A/V
streaming services over IP". To achieve interoperability, agreement is
needed on the use of a set of protocols, amongst others from the AVT group
in IETF. I would hope that ISMA does not need to invent new protocols, but
can build on top of existing ones. Though not all may be in full existence
yet, for example some RTP Payload format for MPEG-4. But in competition with
AVT ? Never.

Kind regards,

Jan van der Meer

************************
Jan van der Meer
Philips - Digital Networks
Building OAN-4
P.O. Box 80002
5600 JB Eindhoven
The Netherlands
Phone +31 402 735 774
Fax +31 402 735 545
Email [email-masked]
************************

---

From: "Young-Kwon LIM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:35:23 +0900

Dear Jan and all,

> yet, for example some RTP Payload format for MPEG-4. But in competition with

I agree. I believe we, MPEG and IETF AVTR, can cooperate with ISMA in various way to make the better standard, widely accepted! Are there anyone involved in ISMA technically?

Sincerely,
Young.