Subject: Re: mmusic-sap with security

From: "Peter T. Kirstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 10:36:31 +0000

Mark,

I have had long discussions with Colin and Ed. I am sorry that I was not at
the IETF meeting to present my views, but appreciate that the feeling of
the meeting was either symmetric encryption now or a long delay. The
reasons for the concern about encryption I find a little specious; I
appreciate that encrypting announcements for a small number of people is of
doubtful use, but that applies to all announcements of small groups. The
possibility of address clashes is a possibility, but can be made unlikely.

In the circumstances, I suggest the following:

1. We try to get the document(s) of SAP with security out fast.

2. I do not care whether authentication and encryption are a separate 
   document as now, or whether you combine them. I am very concerned, however,
   that something gets out quickly. Which would be faster, if you combine
   them and get through one document, or if we make it two documents?

3. We keep in the privacy header, which contains an encryption algorithm ID. 
   For now only a few symmetric algorithms like IDEA, DES and triple DES are 
   defined. 

How soon do you think we can get the above through, and what do you need
still from us?

Will you be in the Berkley retreat next week?

Happy New Year

Peter

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 09:31:21

Not having attended the Orlando meeting, I've missed the context behind
this.  (Just now I tried watching the MMUSIC session on the GaTech
"Interactive Multimedia Jukebox", but there was no audio, and the slides on
the video changed  too quickly to follow.)

Are the slides from the Orlando MMUSIC session online yet?  (For some
reason the MMUSIC page on www.ietf.org doesn't point to slides from *any*
previous MMUSIC sessions.)

	Ross.