Subject: Revised SDP draft

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 13:25:50 -0500

I know many of you had hoped you'd next see SDP as an RFC, but a few
minor points cropped up at last call to do with internationalisation
and character sets that required fixing.  Thanks to Steve Hanna for
pointing these out before they became more difficult to fix.

A new draft is available from:
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/confctrl/docs/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-05.txt
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/confctrl/docs/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-05.ps

This won't appear in the internet drafts archives until after the
December IETF as I missed the deadline.

The changes clarify the use of ISO 10646 in SDP where the wording was
ambiguous, and the requirements on alternative character sets that may
be specified.  A few minor changes were also required to the spec:

- The BNF for attribute values was too restrictive.  This was an error;
  even some of the attributes described in the spec couldn't be
  represented!  It now allows the full UTF-8 encoded charset to be
  used for attribute-values.

- Some attribute values such as "keywds" really needed to be in the
  specified character set and some needed to stay in UTF-8 all the
  time.  Whether the charset for an atribute value changes when an 
  alternative character set is specified must be defined when the
  attribute is defined.  The default is that an attribute value is not
  dependent on charset.

- new (optional) attributes for SDP language and session language have
  been added so that SDP conforms to the requirements in
  draft-alvestrand-charset-policy-02.txt

Does anyone believe that these changes are sufficient to warrant a new
WG last call?  Personally I believe they're minor enough we can
re-submit the revised draft to Allyn for IETF last call.

Cheers,
	Mark