Subject: mmcc development?

From: Ben Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 18:23:28 bst

Hi

As part of my PhD I'm trying to build an app that is similar in nature and
intent to ISI's mmcc. Since my main interest is in HCI rather than network
issues, I'd rather not re-invent the wheel. As a result, I'm hoping to use
a fair number of the concepts (such as a variant of ccp) that underlie
mmcc. 

So, I'm interested in whether:

1) mmcc is being developed further, if so in what ways?

2) anyone has had experience of using mmcc and has any advice to offer
about a similar application (I've seen the publications on mmcc's
architecture in the confctrl docs archive).

3) anyone else is doing any similar work with whom I can discuss problems etc.

I'm building entirely in Tcl/Tk (7.4 / 4.0), using tcl-dp (3.3b1 has
multicast extensions built in), and am hoping to be able to make the source
available for testing/playing/evaluation etc etc...hopefully sometime near
the end of 1995. As a rider to that, I'm vaguely hoping that the UK (and
perhaps global if the software is suitably scalable ;-) MBONE community
would be able to take part in the testing and evaluation of the system.

thanks in advance for any pointers,
cheers
Ben
******************************************************************************
This is <a href="http://pipkin.lut.ac.uk/~ben/sig.html">my signature</a>.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 13:47:36 -0700

Hi,

I wan't sure if anyone else had replied to your request, so I'll try.

> 1) mmcc is being developed further, if so in what ways?

ISI has some plans to continue work on mmcc, on at least two
fronts. First, Eve Schooler, principle architect of mmcc, is
currently augmenting mmcc to use "location finder" components
she is developing while she is on leave and attending grad
school at CalTech. 

Second, there are some plans to continue work on conference control,
integrating it with hypermedia tools (e.g., the Web), and more
comprehensive group control facilities evolving in the IETF.
We have not yet begun this second phase, but related work is going on
in:
	IETF MMUSIC Working Group
		addressing conference control and group interaction
		they have written a draft of a proposed conference
		control mechanism, but I don't know the current
		status - check the usual places for Internet Drafts
		and IETF working group information
	Crowcroft, Handley, and Wakeman at Univ. College London
		see their recent paper on CCCP in Sigcomm '95
	Schulzrinne, affilliated with UMass and GMD/Fokus
		see his recent paper on a conference control protocol,
		at ftp://gaia.cs.umass.edu/pub/Schu9510:Personal.ps.gz

> architecture in the confctrl docs archive).

See the IETF working group for this.

> 3) anyone else is doing any similar work with whom I can discuss problems etc.

See the IETF working group for this too.

> multicast extensions built in), and am hoping to be able to make the source

Hmm - also, incidentally, if you're interested...

I revised the GUI of mmcc in Tk/Tcl, and as a side-effect developed 
a tool for embedding Tk/Tcl scripts inside stand-alone compiled C-code
applications. More information is available in the Tk/Tcl FAQ, or
see the tar file at
	ftp://ftp.isi.edu/pub/hpcc-papers/touch/tcl2array.102.tar.Z

I hope this is useful.

Thanks for your interest.

Joe