Subject: draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt

From: "Donovan, Steven R. (MCI)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:16:49 -0000

> This message is notification of the following Internet Draft which has
> been submitted to the IETF for posting.
> 
> <draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-session-timer-00.txt> 
> 
> Abstract: 
> 
This document proposes an extension to the SIP specification.  This
extension adds a new message header that is used to specify the 
duration of a requested session.

The session timer can be used to limit the total duration of a session
if, for instance, one of the participants in the session wants to
limit the cost of the session.  It can also be used by stateful SIP
Proxy Servers to track the status of sessions for which session state
exists on the servers. Currently a stateful SIP Proxy Server that is 
not handling the media stream(s) for the session has no mechanism to 
definitively determine the state of all sessions for which it has state.
While the SIP Specification does provide the BYE method for terminating
the session, there is no mechanism for a SIP Proxy Server to detect the
end of a session when the BYE message is not sent or is lost due to 
network problems.

> The internet draft is attached.
> 
> Steve Donovan
> MCIWorldcom