Subject: RTSP terminology

From: "Henning Schulzrinne (BL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 08:59:56 -0500

Any objections to the following terminology:

stream - one audio/video/... flow of data (like an RTP Stream, or a
DSM-CC stream)

event - the whole show/movie/presentation/concert/..., with a single
timeline and one or more streams.

We avoid the word "session" since it is used in sligthly different ways
in RTP and SDP.

RTSP also allows to group streams in different ways, depending on the
event description, e.g., all audio streams within an event. Probably
'group of streams' will suffice, as this isn't something appearing often
in the spec.

Comments.

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 10:04:34 -0500

>timeline and one or more streams.

Event is already a pretty overloaded term.  I think you'll end up
talking about events (occurrences) in the event (session).

>We avoid the word "session" since it is used in sligthly different ways

Personally, I'd use the word session rather than event (session is
less overloaded than event is, and is consistent with SDP/SAP/SIP).  I
don't think there's a problem so long as you include a glossary.  I've
been trying to think of alternatives, but can't think of one that I
like...

Mark

---

From: Jeff Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 07:20:02 -0800

|Any objections to the following terminology:
|
|stream - one audio/video/... flow of data (like an RTP Stream, or a
|DSM-CC stream)
|
|event - the whole show/movie/presentation/concert/..., with a single
|timeline and one or more streams.

Try that again (its the vicodin):

Except that event has programming/system connotations...

|
|We avoid the word "session" since it is used in sligthly different ways
|in RTP and SDP.
|
|RTSP also allows to group streams in different ways, depending on the
|event description, e.g., all audio streams within an event. Probably
|'group of streams' will suffice, as this isn't something appearing often
|in the spec.
|
|Comments.
|

---

From: Jeff Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 07:18:51 -0800

Accept that event has programming and system connotations that may
cause confusion.  Hmmm... difficult either way.

|

---

From: Philipp Hoschka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 16:36:34 +0100

>timeline and one or more streams.

I'd prefer "presentation" or "multimedia presentation" over event - 

"event" is overloaded in the UI area, and may also pop up in the file
format retrieved by RTSP (e.g. user interaction event, event in audio track 
triggering other events, events are ordered on a timeline etc.)

also, "event" somehow incurs real-time - a concert event etc.

---

From: Larry Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 08:32:28 -0800

Henning -

Why not use the term "program" as a synonym for "event."  Whether the program 
is live or stored doesn't really matter.  I realize that "program" conflicts 
with computer programs, but I suspect context will clarify most usages.  I 
believe the analogy with television programs is important to use.
	Larry

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 10:45:00 -0800 ()

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Mark Handley wrote:

> don't think there's a problem so long as you include a glossary.

The RTP spec defines the term "RTP session" rather than claiming the
more generic term "session" as an attempt at coexistence.

							-- Steve