Subject: PSTN Interworking Draft

From: "Adam B. Roach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:44:03 -0500 (CDT)

The following draft is now available from the Internet Drafts
archive:

"SIP PSTN Interworking Umbrella 'Require:' Header"

Abstract

     This document outlines a new value for the SIP "Require:" header
     which denotes compliance with a number of mechanisms necessary to
     interwork smoothly with existing telephony networks.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roach-mmusic-sip-pstn-require-header-00.txt

-- 
Adam Roach, Ericsson Inc. |  Ph: +1 972 583 7594 | 1010 E. Arapaho, MS L-04
[email-masked]   | Fax: +1 972 669 0154 | Richardson, TX 75081 USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence Conroy)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:58:41 +0100

>     interwork smoothly with existing telephony networks.

To which I reply:
I have a slight qualm with this document. The PINT Drafts have had two
methods called SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY for a long while now (basically since
Henning and Jonathon originally suggested them to us when what is now IMPP
started).

I HOPE that the SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY stuff of section 2.4 (with the note "This
document is not yet written.") isn't going to clash with the existing PINT
use, otherwise we'll break things (I trust that isn't the intent :). A
similar approach seems likely in any PIN work, and any revivification of
the SIP-for-Presence work. Any new document is not going to hit an empty
table.

All the best, Lawrence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Lawrence Conroy,    | "These Opinions must be mine, 'cos if they    |
| Roke Manor Research |  were my Company's they'd charge you for them"|
|- [email-masked]  ---+- Tel: +44 1794 833666  Fax: +44 1794 833434 --|

---

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:30:31 -0500 (CDT)

> the SIP-for-Presence work. Any new document is not going to hit an empty

The intent of the document was not to re-invent anything but to bring the
various drafts concerning PSTN-SIP interworking under one umbrella draft to
simplify the development and standardization of SIP nodes which must 
interwork with the PSTN. Whatever SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY methods can be agreed upon
and standardized will be used. (Whether from PINT, PIN, IMPP or MMUSIC)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sean Olson            E-mail: [email-masked]
Ericsson Inc.         Voice: (972) 583-5472 
                      FAX: (972) 669-0154