Subject: RE: RTSP - UDP and firewalls

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:20:50 -0700

Not really. In multicast use, RTSP is used to set up the multicast transmission,
which occurs via RTP over UDP. 

----------
From: 	Jeff Smith[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: 	Wednesday, October 16, 1996 12:16 PM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	RTSP - UDP and firewalls

Just thinking about things a bit...

You are assuming that RTSP can be used with multicast and you make
the case the RTSP is TCP-based for the purpose of firewalls, is this not
contradictory?

js

---

From: Jeff Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:22:59 -0700

My point was, if you are worried about firewalls and therefore using
TCP for the "control" protocol and then switch to UDP/multicast (which
has been "dismissed" as more difficult for firewalls) what have you
gained by using TCP (with regard to firewalls).

Maybe I'm totally missing the boat here, but if you are ultimately
going to use UDP for multicast what is the value in TCP for the
"setup."

Actually, I really shouldn't be posting reponses right now since I
just returned from the pub, but I had given this some thought earlier
today and just don't understand why one would give an excuse for using
TCP that wasn't valid for the entire "session."  Unless of course the
whole point is to use TCP-based RTSP for the streaming and forget
multicast altogether.

 |>Not really. In multicast use, RTSP is used to set up the multicast transmission,
 |>which occurs via RTP over UDP. 
 |>
 |>----------
 |>From: 	Jeff Smith[SMTP:[email-masked]]
 |>Sent: 	Wednesday, October 16, 1996 12:16 PM
 |>To: 	[email-masked]
 |>Subject: 	RTSP - UDP and firewalls
 |>
 |>Just thinking about things a bit...
 |>
 |>You are assuming that RTSP can be used with multicast and you make
 |>the case the RTSP is TCP-based for the purpose of firewalls, is this not
 |>contradictory?
 |>
 |>js
 |>
 |>
 |>
 |>