Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-donovan-mmusic-183-00.txt

From: "Donovan, Steven R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:42:01 +0000

An Internet Draft has been submitted which proposes the addition of the 183
Session Progress response message to the SIP protocol.

The abstract and a pointer to the draft is included in the attached message.

Regards,

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 8:54 AM
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-donovan-mmusic-183-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: SIP 183 Session Progress Message
	Author(s)	: S. Donovan, J. Hearty,  M. Cannon, H. Schulzrinne,

 	                  J. Rosenberg 
        Filename	: draft-donovan-mmusic-183-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 22-Jun-99
	
This document describes a proposed extension of the Session Initia-
tion Protocol.  This extension would add the 183 Session Progress
response message.

The introduction of the 183 informational response message would
allow a called user agent to indicate to the calling user agent
whether or not the calling user agent should apply local alerting for
the session.  The existing 180 Ringing message would indicate that
the calling user agent has the option of providing local alerting
(and generally should).  The 183 Session Progress message would indi-
cate that the calling user agent should not provide local alerting
and should establish a media session to be used by the called user
agent to indicate the status of the session setup request as part of
the indicated media stream.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-donovan-mmusic-183-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-donovan-mmusic-183-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-donovan-mmusic-183-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:42:03 -0000