Subject: RTSP 1c.: PEP-Protocol Extention Protocol

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 21:43:38 -0700

The PEP adventure continues ... :)

In draft03, we decided to add the Protocol Extension Protocol (PEP) to
RTSP, with the assumption that the PEP specification had stabilized and was
swiftly moving toward standardization in the HTTP working group.

In the Munich HTTP-WG session, it became clear that PEP specification was
not converging on a onto a solution that most HTTP implementors have
confidence in. Given that, it makes sense for the MMUSIC working group to
step back and engineer a solution that makes sense for RTSP (and SIP),
learning appropriate lessons from the PEP effort and drawing on the
experience of the parties involved.

Given that the only reasons why the "Require" and "Transport-Require"
fields were removed from RTSP between draft02 and draft03 was the potential
overlap in functionality between PEP and these fields, we will add those
fields back into the spec for draft04.

More information about PEP can be found at:

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/PEP/Overview.html

Rob