Subject: MMUSIC/ITU Interop scenario

From: [email-masked] (Monty Gill)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 19:37:40 -0400 (EDT)

This is with regard to the MMUSIC/ITU draft:-  
---------------------------------------------------------------------
6.  Types of interoperation

   Based on these interconnection scenarios, the following scenarios for
   interoperation between ITU and IETF conferencing systems could be
   addressed:

   1)   T.120 ISDN terminal users "phone in" to a classical IETF-style
        WAN internet multicast session (e.g. an IETF broadcast).

        1a)  Actually, not just one terminal but a whole T.120
             conference network is built on the T.120 side.

        1b)  The internet WAN session becomes more controlled than a
             ``classical'' session -- more information needs to be
             relayed to the T.120 session control.  (This, obviously,
             depends on what kind of session control is used on the
             Internet side.)

        The assumption here is that the IETF style conference is the one
        "in control" and "phoners-in" are accepting some semantic
        lossage.  E.g., the T.124 (GCC) conference roster (attendance
        list) could be incomplete, it might not be possible to perform
        certain actions (such as addressing single participants), etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Let us consider a practical scenario as follows:-

The T.120 ISDN terminal users use T.124/GCC and PCS compliant code.
The IETF-style LAN/(or is it WAN?) use RTP over TCP/IP. Now the IETF
style session should be able to "talk" to the T.120 ISDN type of 
conference for interoperability, right? So that means that the IETF
style session should have code to understand the packets sent by the
T.120 guys. I mean it should be able to understand the ISDN transport
protocol that has been implemented in  the T.120  stack.(eg. PCS's
IDLM and RDLM). I am still not able to decide whether this type of 
conversion is possible on the IETF side. Could anyone please enlighten
me?

Also, I am unable to understand the concept of WAN and LAN and its
relationship to ISDN. ISDN is used both LAN as well as WAN specific or do
you assume that ISDN is used primarily over WAN?

Sincerely,

Monty Gill

Concurrent Engineering Research Center,
West Viriginia University.

---------------------------- Disclaimer ---------------------------
My opinions are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.