Subject: BOF for SOCKS V6

From: Wei Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:32:49 -0500 (CDT)

There will be a BOF in the coming IETF Conference in Chicago
to discuss issues relating to Secure Transport Proxy. It is
intended to extend works being done by AFT WG. A mailing list,

	[email-masked]

and a archive web site,

	http://www.socks.nec.com/socksinfo.html

have been set.

To join the list, send a message to

         [email-masked]

Do not include a Subject in your message. The message body
should contain one line as follows:

	subscribe stp your_E_mail_address

We will hold the discussions for a week so that those who are
interested in would have time to catch up the mailbox and join
the list.

A draft of the charter has been included for your reference.

==================================================
Wei Lu			Email:	[email-masked]
Principal, MTS		Voice:	972-518-3507
Networking Systems Lab. NEC USA, Inc.
==================================================

**************************************************************
Description of Working Group:

The proliferation of networking technologies and
applications bring new promises and challenges to the
Internet. One such challenge is how to develop and
manage a heterogeneous and colossal networking environment?
Specifically, how to manage a network that consists of IPv4,
RFC1918, IPv6, IPSec, mobile IP, and a variety of applications
that use multiple IP transports, TCP, UDP, and Multicast?
The Secure Transport Proxy Working Group (STP) is chartered
to specify a generic mechanism to proxy IP transports
in a secure manner.

The protocol will evolve from the existing work done by the
Authenticated Firewall Traversal Working Group (AFT). It will
focus on transport proxy mechanisms that are secure, scalable,
efficient and flexible. The protocol will be specifically
designed for bi-directional establishment of TCP, UDP and
Multicast proxy channels over a heterogeneous network
environment, enabling application protocols to securely
pass through firewalls.

The STP working group will not develop specific authentication
protocols, cryptographic techniques, or related key management
methods, but instead, use the work of other IETF working groups
in these areas. The protocol's primary security goal will be to
provide a framework to incorporate existing security
technologies such as IPSEC, TLS, Kerberos, and others. In
addition, the protocol will support end-to-end security in a
multiple proxy environment and security of multicast proxy
channel.
*****************************************************************