Subject: Re: Submission of RTSP V1.0 (Real Time Streaming Protocol) for MMUSIC Working Group of IETF

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 20:13:59 -0700

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the comments.

At 06:18 PM 10/10/96 +0100, you wrote:
>coupolke of things (before i have read this properly)
>1/ the name -there is a near clash with NTT's Real Time Stream
>Pipeline Protocol, RSTP (which has some of the same functionality
>somewhere in it...)

This is a good point.  The proximity to the name RSTP is unfortunate.
However, it's hard to find a name that there isn't some sort of clash
occuring.   Still, if you have any suggestions for new names, let us know.
Also, we will consider comments from everyone on the aptness of the name.

>2/ this is really a Control protocol, in fact its really a VCR control
>protocol so it'd be neat if it looked a bit more abstract (transport
>protocol independance for the Control part, as well as the data part,
>which you've obviously done very nicely....)
>and its name should reflect that (i was jumping up and fdown shouting
>about it in the lab til someone pointed this out and made me read it
>properly:-)

The proposal also suggests not only how to control streams but how to
deliver them (UDP, Compressed RTP, RTP, SCP over the same TCP session,
etc.), so this really is both control and streaming.  However, I do see your
point that it is primarily for control of streams.  The binding of the
control to TCP is something we'll have to discuss further.

Rob
---
Rob Lanphier               Voice: (206)674-2322         Fax: (206)674-2699
Program Manager-Protocols                         Email: [email-masked]
Progressive Networks-Home of RealAudio       Web: http://www.realaudio.com