Subject: Re: RTSP session length bug

From: "Henning Schulzrinne (BL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 14:41:32 -0400

A choice needs to be made if in-band TCP data (a hopefully rare
occurrence) should be allowed only when one TCP connection represents
one RTSP session at a time. If so, the in-band data session ID is
unnecessary; if not, it needs to be of variable and unbounded length
(basically, a string) and be the same as the session identifier carried
as "Session:". Comments?

Eric Fleischman wrote:
> 
> There is a bug in RTSP in that a session identifier is defined as being
> one or more octets long (see below) and is encouraged to be a very large
> random value in the Security section (section 15). I would therefore
> interpret this as encouraging a 4 or 8 octet session id length.
> 
> However, Section 9.11 (which deals with embedded binary data) states
> that a session identier should be solely one byte long. No mention is
> made as to how to map between session ids of multiple bytes to session
> ids of one byte. However, I think that such mapping would be
> problematic: one should consistently use the same session-identifier
> value to refer to the same session.
> 
> Therefore, I suggest that Section 9.11 be ammended to state that a one
> byte length value (giving the length of the session ID) preceeds the
> session identifier in the encapsulation approach: $ session-ID-length
> session-ID binary-data-length binary-data.
> 
> --------------------------------
> Session ID length: Section 11.26 of RTSP states that the session
> identifier has the same syntax as the conference identifier. Section 3.3
> states that the syntax of the conference identifier is 1*OCTET. RFC 2068
> section 2.1 (whose syntax is used by RTSP) states that the meaning of
> the Augmented BNF description of 1*element is "one or more instances" of
> element. Therefore, the session identifier must be one or more octets
> long (e.g., a 4 or an 8 byte long session identifier is legal).

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne         email: [email-masked]
Dept. of Computer Science   phone: +1 908 949 8344 (at Bell Labs)
Columbia University         fax:   +1 212 666-0140
New York, NY 10027          URL:   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: "Jongil, Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 14:35:27 +0900

Hi, everyone.
I'm studying about RTP and control of multimedia application control.
Has Vic jiiter tolerance in some degree?
and other prgoram?

sorry poor english...puhehe
----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Engineering, Chungbuk National University, Korea
Network Laboratory
Jong-il, Park (Webmaster)
http://nwork.chungbuk.ac.kr/~jipark
http://dce3.chungbuk.ac.kr/bbs/
http://cbubbs.chungbuk.ac.kr/ (Administrator)
----------------------------------------------------------