Subject: review of "Video Compression Techniques", by Effelsberg&Steinmetz

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 08:53:47 +0100

There is a new book pout called, plainly
"Video Compression Techniques", by Wolfgang Effelsberg
and RalfS Steinmetz, published by dpunkt (see www.dpunkt.de), 
ISBN 3-920993-13-6

The book is aimed at the general reader ratehr than the signal
processing or EE postdoctoral expert, and is a very good read. It
covers most of the material one would like to see, inclkuding a
general introduction to multimedia, data compression , detailed
compression techniques (interpolation, subsampling, run length, vector
quanitization, LZ, Huffman, Arithmetic, transcform, subband and
differential encoding, then specifics of particular still image
compression techniques followed by in depth coverage of MEG 1, 2, 4
and 7, and H.261, 263, and finally a quality, and performance analysis
of the various techniques and algorithms and parameter setting.

The book is accompanied by a CD with software to demonstrate a lot of
the ideas, There is a web site associated with the book with the
software and updates, and these are quite fun - the authors are very
acive researchers in this area, butr are also good educators, and I
foun the book easily the best introduction and overview of the topic,
as well as quite useful on some details I was hazy about. Happy
reading.

see
http://www.kom.e-technik.tu-darmstadt.de/Research/mmbook/
and follow links...  for applets etc....