Subject: Re: Transport-Info Seq. number

From: Anders Klemets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:05:28 -0700

> 	To summarize, the RTSP response (containing the Transport-Info)
> to a PLAY can (and in the scenarios I think of, *will*) arrive later
> (maybe much later) than the packets using that sequence number.
> 
> 	I think of two possibilites:
> 	- It's the client who chooses the first sequence number following
> a seek and sends it toghether with the PLAY method
> 	- The servers waits for an acknowledgment for its response
> to the PLAY (I don't like this solution at all...  its against the
> protocol structure of RTSP...).

I think the first possibility that you mention would be all right.
Perhaps this could be made optional, so that only clients for which
buffer space is at a premium would need to worry about it.

I experience the problem that you describe all the time with my
software, but it is not a serious issue because it only happens over
congested network links, and the RTP bit rate sent on those links is
usually fairly low.

Anders