Subject: Re: RTSP

From: "Michael A. Grafton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:57:36 +0000

> At 04:18 PM 10/15/96 -0400, David Oran wrote:
> >Rob, I'm curious what you see as the scope of "controlling all
> >aspects of transmission". Could you give some examples outside the
> >VCR-button domain of what you envision?
> >
> >Just to stimulate discussion, what about an I-Phone conference
> >using RTP and you want to put the phone on "hold". Is that in the
> >scope of RTSP, part of the IK-phone session protocol, or something
> >that belongs in RTCP?
> 
> Just to clear up a major bit of confusion here.  I think we are very
> interested in eventually controling all aspects of one-to-many
> one-way transmission (recording, playback, etc.).  However,
> controlling many-to-many transmission is an *entirely* different can
> of worms, and I think is best left to another protocol, such as what
> Jeff Smith at NTT is working on for collaborative control.

I only read the draft once, so please let me know if this question 
makes any sense.  You're saying that RTSP is meant for one-to-many 
one-way transmission.  If there are many clients, then, is there a 
separate TCP connection between each client and the server?  Or is 
there only one, between some designated "power" client (who can 
control the playback) and the server?

Thanks,
Mike Grafton