Subject: Questions regarding RTSP

From: "Anil . H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 10:43:03 +0530

Hi,

Can I post any questions related to RTSP to this list or should I post
it to [email-masked]  mailing list. Anyone having any more
information on some other mailing list for RTSP?

Regards
Anil

---

From: Anup Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 09:46:52 -0800

> information on some other mailing list for RTSP?

This is the right list. If you are not on this list, and wish to join it,
only then does confctrl-request come into the picture.

-Anup.

---

From: "Anil . H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 18:29:52 +0530

Hi,

1.I would like to know if the state information in RTSP is maintained by the
application since the protocol by itself does not carry state information.

2.Since there is no exchange of any state information between the client and
server, why do both need to maintain states?

Regards,
Anil

---

From: Anup Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:33:56 -0800

> application since the protocol by itself does not carry state information.

Yes, it has to be maintained by the application. In most cases, it should be
minimal.

> server, why do both need to maintain states?

You pretty much have the question and answer in the above  sentence.
Depending on the state of a particular stream, certain commands are valid. A
command may have different effect depending on what state it is applied in. So
the server needs to maintain state.
If a client does not keep state, how will it support the UI - how can you "stop"
if you aren't "playing" ?
In addition to stream state, you need to keep some transaction state if you use
RTSP over UDP.

Regards
-Anup.