Subject: RTSP: draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-00.txt

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 17:40:30 -0800

The Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) has been submitted on behalf of the
mmusic working group of the IETF, and is available at the following address:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-00.txt

(My earlier attempt to forward the draft itself to the list was eaten.  If
you would like me to send it as an attachment, please ask.).

This document consists of no technical changes to the previously submitted
draft-rao-rtsp-00.txt from October 9, 1996, and supercedes that draft.  The
only changes in this revision are added references to open issues, most of
which refer to an issues list located at
http://www.prognet.com/prognet/rt/openissues.html.

ABSTRACT

The Real Time Streaming Protocol, or RTSP, is an application-level
protocol for control over the delivery of data with real-time
properties. RTSP provides an extensible framework to enable
controlled, on-demand delivery of real- time data, such as audio and
video. Sources of data can include both live data feeds and stored
clips. This protocol is intended to control multiple data delivery
sessions, provide a means for choosing delivery channels such as UDP,
multicast UDP and TCP, and delivery mechanisms based upon RTP (RFC
1889). RTSP uses the Session Control Protocol (SCP) (see appendix) to
allow the use of a single TCP connection between the client and
server for controlling delivery of one or more streams of data.

---
Rob Lanphier               Voice: (206)674-2322         Fax: (206)674-2699
Program Manager-Protocols                         Email: [email-masked]
Progressive Networks-Home of RealAudio       Web: http://www.realaudio.com