Subject: Re: RTP interoperability testing

From: "Alagu Periyannan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:39:28 -0800

From: "Stephen Casner" <[email-masked]>
> > Also, we do have RTP over TCP using HTTP fully interoperating with
> > Quicktime player.
>
> Unfortunately for the purposes of this interop survey, I believe what
> you describe uses an encapsulation defined by the application rather
> than the minimal encapsulation specified in the RTP profile (prefixing
> each packet with a two-octet length field) for cases where the
> application does not define the framing.  The open question is whether
> there is value in making that specification, or if it should simply be
> removed.

There could be cases where RTP over TCP can be used without RTSP or some
other control protocol. So there is value in keeping this around.

I would like to point out that a fair amount of RTP interoperability was
addressed in the RTSP interoperability event that Entera hosted this past
summer. Please refer to the results in Ron Frederick's message to the
confctrl list just after the event.

On a separate note, I would really like to see at least an informational RFC
(or even better a real standards track RFC) on the RTP over TCP using HTTP.
I'll be more than happy to contribute to this effort if Apple or Real are
interested. We have Entera's TeraCAST server also working with the RTP over
TCP using HTTP scheme with the Apple QT player.

-Alagu
[email-masked]