Subject: Re: RTSP

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 11:15:30 -0700

At 04:18 PM 10/15/96 -0400, David Oran wrote:
>Rob, I'm curious what you see as the scope of "controlling all aspects
>of transmission". Could you give some examples outside the VCR-button
>domain of what you envision?
>
>Just to stimulate discussion, what about an I-Phone conference using RTP
>and you want to put the phone on "hold". Is that in the scope of RTSP, part
>of the IK-phone session protocol, or something that belongs in RTCP?

Just to clear up a major bit of confusion here.  I think we are very
interested in eventually controling all aspects of one-to-many one-way
transmission (recording, playback, etc.).  However, controlling many-to-many
transmission is an *entirely* different can of worms, and I think is best
left to another protocol, such as what Jeff Smith at NTT is working on for
collaborative control.

Beyond VCR-button-type control, what we envision in the long-term is full
a/v mixer board control, rather than the telephone/conferencing paradigm.  I
see that goal as orthoganal to telephone conferencing control.

Rob
---
Rob Lanphier               Voice: (206)674-2322         Fax: (206)674-2699
Program Manager-Protocols                         Email: [email-masked]
Progressive Networks-Home of RealAudio       Web: http://www.realaudio.com