Subject: Re: SAP, SDP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 06:32:00 -0500

Hello,

Has the SAP/SDP been used by commercial products? How significant that the SAP/SDP is used in the real world? For example, I can view the CNN Headline news in real player, does that mean that the CNN news transmit broadcast news via SAP/SDP?
__________________________________________________________________
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com/

---

From: Jeff Ayars <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:23:07 -0800

At 06:32 AM 1/25/2001 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Has the SAP/SDP been used by commercial products? How significant that the 
>SAP/SDP is used in the real world? For example, I can view the CNN 
>Headline news in real player, does that mean that the CNN news transmit 
>broadcast news via SAP/SDP?

When you view CNN news in the RealPlayer, RTSP/SDP are being used.  The 
RealSystem (Player and Server and Encoder) have been using RTSP/SDP in 
shipping commercial products since the RFC numbers were issued in 
1998.  The RealServer and RealPlayer by default use our proprietary 
RealData Transport (RDT) for data transport but they both support RTP/RTCP 
as well.

The QuickTime System (Server and Player) also use RTSP/SDP/RTP/RTCP and 
have been shipping as commercial products for ~18 months.

SAP is used mostly for VoIP applications and I believe there are products 
from Cisco and Lucent (and many others) that are available today.

JEff