Subject: Any RTP RTSP libraries available?

From: Jack Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:55:19 +0200

Does anyone know of libraries to handle the RTP and RTSP protocols? I've come 
across PN's RTSP package, but the architecture of that is rather integrated 
and I would prefer something that was designed as a library to drop into other 
applications.
--
Jack Jansen             | ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
[email-masked]      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm

---

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:25:30 -0700

>and I would prefer something that was designed as a library to drop into
other 

Just to make things clear, RealNetworks (formerly Progresive Networks,
"formerly" being 4 days ago) offers two different implementations of RTSP.
The RTSP Reference kit was released pretty early on in the standardization
of RTSP primarily as a test bed, and has the properties you describe.  

The RealMedia SDK, released for developer beta earlier this year, is also
an implementation of RTSP, and is available for free download now.  It's
much more modular than the RTSP reference, and has a lot more features.
The downside is that it doesn't include source code, and that the
redistribution licensing is slightly trickier (but we are a pretty
reasonable bunch of folks to work with, IMHO :).  It also may not give you
the exact entry point into the system that you want.  For example, you can
create new datatypes and file formats, and it has hooks for adding new
headers on the DESCRIBE message, but doesn't allow you "down to the metal"
access to RTSP.

Other than that, it's a complete system, and is where we are putting the
bulk of our engineering effort (and have for the past year), so it's very
well-designed and is only going to get better.  A lot of our efforts have
been geared squarely at folks making tools (such as yourselves), so I think
it's worth looking at.

Rob

---
Rob Lanphier ([email-masked])    Voice: (206)674-2322   Fax: (206)674-2699
RealNetworks:  http://www.real.com
RTSP Info:     http://www.real.com/rtsp
Firewall Info: http://www.real.com/help/firewall

---

From: v guruprasad (prasad) <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:21:02 -0400 (EDT)

I haven't checked out the Columbia implementation yet.  I am trying to get 
a host setup outside our firewall to make our portable Unix implementation
available to the internet community.  There is a temporary web page,
http://www.research.ibm.com/rtsptoolkit, which is unfortunately unable to
serve the sources at the moment.

The implementation is so so portable that I am able to use the RTSP layer to
play games with a machine that never fails to beat me! The protocol has taken
about 300 lines of ksh together with some small helper programs, a shared
memory session database and a cron-like demon.  It was designed to be dropped
into existing applications at short notice, and makes no assumptions about
the media content or protocol (like RTP).

---

From: v guruprasad (prasad) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:53:50 -0400 (EDT)

> serve the sources at the moment.

As of yesterday evening, the pages have been fixed and the sources are
now downloadable online.