Subject: Name-address form in Contact

From: Peter Peldán <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 10:20:19 +0200

In section 6.21 in the SIP-RFC it is said regarding the use of name-addr
form in the From-header:

Even if the "display-name" is empty, the "name-addr" form MUST be
   used if the "addr-spec" contains a comma, question mark, or
   semicolon.

Is this true in the Contact header as well? E.g must a SIP-URI
containing parameters be put within <> as in

Contact: <sip:user@host;transport=tcp>

or is it all right to use

Contact: sip:user@host;transport=tcp

I believe the former is better since it makes it totally clear to what
entity the parameter belongs.

Peter Peldan

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 09:24:07 -0400

In all cases, when there are semicolons, commas, or question marks in
the URI, the name-addr form must be used (angle brackets). I think
someone had already mentioned this needs to be clarified.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen