Subject: Re: RTSP Caching proxies

From: "Andrea Basso" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:07:53 -0500

Hi,

Here in AT&T labs we are doing some work on RTSP caching proxies.

See:

Stephane Gruber, Jennifer Rexford, and Andrea Basso, "Protocol
considerations for a prefix-caching proxy for multimedia streams," to appear
in Proc. World Wide Web Conference, May 2000

and other papers that can be found on
http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers.html#video

-A

Andrea Basso, AT&T Labs Research
Room 3-219
100 Shultz Drive, Red Bank,NJ 07701
ph:  (732) 345-3302
fax  (732) 345-3033
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis Serenyi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, January 28, 2000 2:03 PM
Subject: RTSP Caching proxies

>I'm a newbie on this list, so pardon if this is not the proper forum...
>
>I'm an engineer at Apple working on the QuickTime Streaming Server &
>Darwin Streaming Server Project, which includes an implementation of RTSP
>and uses RTP.
>
>We've recently been talking to several companies who want to write RTSP
>caching proxies. Though RTSP does take into account & attempts to solve
>some of the issues that a caching proxy would run into, we have had
>requests to add extensions to our implementation of RTSP / RTP to make
>their lives easier.
>
>We've spent some time gathering their feedback to try and come up with a
>common RTSP caching solution that meets everyone's needs. In the past
>couple of days I've been working on coming up with a preliminary spec
>based on this.
>
>However, we don't want to reinvent the wheel, so my first question is, is
>there already any effort to provide a "streaming media caching" protocol?
>Or anything similar?
>
>If yes, please point me at any documentation on this.
>
>If no, I would be happy to share in more detail exactly what problems
>with RTSP / RTP we are attempting to solve for these caching proxy
>vendors, and get feedback on 1) whether these changes are really
>necessary and is there some better way to provide this functionality. 2)
>if these changes are necessary, how to best go about implementing them.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Denis Serenyi
>QuickTime Streaming Server Engineering
>