Subject: Re: end of a hint movie

From: Jeff Ayars <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:21:21 -0800

At 03:57 AM 1/18/2001 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>Hi,
>
>How the RTP (or RTCP or RTSP) indicates the end of the movie
>to the video player? I could not find any mechanism of it,
>the only indication seems that the streaming server stops
>sending RTP packets, but it does not neccessary mean the end
>of the movie?

Good catch.  If you've gotten this far either your a very good reader and 
thinker or you're actually implementing something.  The answer as far as 
the standard is concerned today is that it doesn't say.  There is not a 
specified method to inform the terminal of the end of the stream in 
RTSP.  There are two methods used that I am aware of:  RTSP Bye sent by the 
server, and strict adherence to the range specified in the SDP or 
PLAY.  Both mechanisms need a timeout as the bye as well as the final bit 
of the media stream can be lost.  Neither are particularly good and at the 
RTSP bake-off last summer we talked about adding an explicit method as we 
moved RTSP to Draft Standard.

JEff

---

From: "Marc Le Naour" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:35:48 +0000

Hi,

First, do you talk about RTSP Bye rather than RTCP Bye ? I know what is RTCP
BYE packet, but i didn't see any reference about RTSP Bye.

Second i've got one question (be easy, i'm novice in this domain) : if you are
using RTP/RTCP exchange methods, and if you are streaming data over TCP
(RTP/AVP/TCP) with RTSP interleaved mode to protect some data, is it necessary
to monitors (server) the receivers RR or BYE packets ? i mean the RR is not
necessary because of the TCP connection and the BYE packet from client because
of the TEARDOWN RTSP message, isn't it ?

Marc

---

From: Go Hori <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:12:16 -0800 (PST)

As far as RTSP msg goes, there is only one way to terminate the session.  
It is TEARDOWN from a client.  A client can figure out when to send out
TEARDOWN by keeping track of Range.

There is RTCP Bye that a server sends.  So, client can initiate the
TEARDOWN upon a reception of RTCP Bye as well.

RTP over TCP interleaved:
It is up to an application to monitor RR or BYE, but you should send them
because it is part of the spec and somebody might be expecting them even
in the case of RTP over TCP interleaved.

Go