Subject: SIP code

From: James Horton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:28:00 -0500 (EST)

Are there any open-source implementations available yet?

Is there a coordination effort for open-source for a SIP
implementation? Supported hardware? Hardware Vendor
support, for specific DSPs.............?

Any pointers are appreciated.

James

**> Creative Friendly Technologies              [email-masked] 813 871 1238 *
* www.cftnet.com/firewall-proxy.html          www.cftnet.com/streaming.html *
*****************************************************************************
* III John 1:4                                   http://www.kwbc.cftnet.com *
*     I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.  <**

---

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:08:25 -0500 (EST)

> support, for specific DSPs.............?

I will be attempting to start an open-source implementation of SIP
starting mid-April.  I'm still investigating related protocols and
choosing a software architecture.  I intend to release the code under a
BSD-style license.

I don't know of any other implementations, or attempted implementations,
or afterthoughts about implementations, that are or would be truly free.

However, I didn't look _too_ hard.

--
Billy Biggs
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:37:30 -0800

>> Are there any open-source implementations available yet?

There's an implementation in sdr.  Version 2.6.0 (an experimental
release) is available from
http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/software/sdr/

However, the sdr implementation is not completely conformant with the
SIP RFC at this stage, and is a fairly minimal implementation.

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: James Horton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:39:42 -0500 (EST)

Thanks guys,

Additionally, check out:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/products/mint/

Some of this code may be useful.

PS, I working on a release for 'RT-Linux', as I'm tinkering with
some hardware device in addition to running SIP code on Intel
main processors...........

James

On Thu, 25 Mar

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:49:51 -0500

> or afterthoughts about implementations, that are or would be truly free.

sipd will be available (after the oven from the bake-off has cooled off)
in source form for universities and non-profits for free. Possible other
arrangements are pending.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Nadia KAUSAR <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:02:34 +0000

> http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/software/sdr/

the problem I found with the above SIP code is if I just wanted to separate 
the SIP functionalities from sdr, it was real hard work.  for example I needed 
some of the very basic SIP functions to set up a connection with a H.323v1 
client (Lecent's Elemedia stack), and it wasnt very easy to separate SIP from 
sdr.  Therefore, I had to hack up some basic SIP functionalities for 
interoperating H.225  and H.245.  however, it would be nice to compare other 
people who have created some basic SIP implementations to see my application 
would talk to theirs.

cheers
nadia

---

From: James Horton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:29:16 -0500 (EST)

cool,

keep me on the list.

we'll run linux or bsd........

James

---

From: James Hua <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:41:46 -0600

Hi,

Is there sample SIP UAS/UAC code anywhere?

James.