Subject: Announcing X-Bone VPN/overlay software release

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:20:09 -0800 (PST)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    
   x                                                          x    
   x           XX    XX      X-BONE Overlay System            x    
   x             X  X                                         x    
   x              XX                Software Release          x    
   x             X  X                                         x    
   x           XX    XX             March 2000                x    
   x                                                          x    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    

The X-Bone system for automated deployment of VPN / overlay networks
is now publicly available. This is the first major public release, v1.2.
                                                                   
X-Bone dynamically deploys and manages Internet overlays to reduce
configuration effort and increase network component sharing. X-Bone
discovers, configures, and monitors network resources to create
overlays over existing IP networks.
                                                                   
The X-Bone is implemented in Perl, and open source is provided.
                                                                   
The X-Bone can be used for:                                        
                                                                   
      - deploying VPNs                                             
                                                                   
      - sharing lab or wide-area networks                          
         for multiple, concurrent projects                         
         for testing protocols and apps on new topologies          
                                                                   
X-Bone uses two-layer IP in IP tunneled overlays and supports existing
applications and unmodified routing, multicast, and DNS services.
X-Bone also support IPSec within overlays. Applications can use the
X-Bone without modification or recompilation.
                                                                   
The X-Bone is available for the following operating systems:       
                                                                   
      - FreeBSD                                                    
              CAIRN 2.5, 3.*, 3.* + KAME IPsec patches             
                                                                   
      - Linux RedHat                                               
              6.0, 6.0 + NIST Cerberus IPsec patches, 6.1          
                                                                   
The FreeBSD port and Linux RPM have been submitted to the FreeBSD
ports and RedHat Linux RPMs sites; further information and details and
the port and RPM files are currently available at:
                                                                   
      http://www.isi.edu/xbone/                                    
                                                                   
- Joe Touch                                                        
  Project Leader, X-Bone group, USC/ISI                            
  [email-masked]                                                    
  http://www.isi.edu/touch                                         
  +1 (310) 448-9151                                                
                                                                   
-------------------------------------------------------------------
 Effort sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency 
 (DARPA)and Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Materiel      
 Command, USAF, under agreement number F30602-98-1-0200.           
                                                                   
 Copyright (c) 1998-2000 by the University of Southern California. 
 All rights reserved.                                              
-------------------------------------------------------------------