Subject: IETF-48 SDPng requirements presentation slides

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Aug 2000 22:41:50 +0200

http://www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/mmusic/sdp-ng/ietf48/

-- 
	Dirk

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 14:52:52 -0700

I have a couple of additional requirements for SDPng (that I didn't see on 
Dirk's notes, but which I don't think are incompatible with anything that 
he (or anyone else) said at the WG meeting yesterday).

1/ I would like the ability to specify *arbitrary* attribute-value pairs 
within a session (or subsession) description - not just a predefined, fixed 
set of attribute names.  (I don't mind if these 'application-specific' 
attribute names have to be preceded by something like "X-", or use some 
other indication that they're part of a new namespace.)

2/ (This requirement is most relevant to the use of SDPng within SAP.)
I would like the ability to be able to specify 'session' (or 'subsession') 
descriptors that don't contain *any* channel information (IP address, port, 
ttl etc.) at all.  I.e., these would contain just attribute information 
(plus owner, description, URL etc. information), but not specify an actual 
multimedia session.  (In the SDP multicast session directory, such 
announcements have sometimes been used to send short notices.)

To date, I have been using my own data representation called MAPF 
<http://www.live.com/mafp.txt> - instead of SDP - in some of my 
special-purpose multicast directories in order to overcome many of the 
limitations of SDP  However, I would really like to be able to do away with 
using this, and eventually just use SDPng throughout.

         Ross.