Subject: mmusic

From: Abel Weinrib <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 14:06:52 -0400 (EDT)

As you will have seen from a previous message, the Multiparty Multimedia
Session Control  Working Group is now official.  We will be meeting
Tuesday and Wednesday at 9:00 at next week's IETF in Amsterdam.  Eve
Schooler and I hope to see many of you there.  A draft agenda appeared
in the previous message.

As you will see from the charter, the working group has a new name (no
longer   "Conference Control" as the BOF was named) and a somewhat
narrower charter than we started out with.  The new name and the
narrower charter both have the same motivation:  to focus our work on a
reasonably well-defined problem so that we can make clear progress,
declare success, and move on to new topics of interest.  (I might
mention that the narrower focus was also strongly urged by the IESG
during the working group creation process.)  We were also moved from the
Applications Area to the Transport Area--one reason given was our strong
ties to the Audio-Video Transport Working Group--but we don's foresee
this move making any significant difference to our work.

A few of us have been working on a framework that shows how session
control might fit into the larger picture of multimedia conferencing,
and also on a straw-person proposal for what the session control
protocol should look like.  We plan to talk about these in some detail
at the IETF sessions.

Following this message, you will get a number of additional pieces of
information, including:
-- notes that Eve Schooler took on the mbone meeting we had in May
-- the current version of the glossary that Lakshman
<[email-masked]> has contributed
-- a discussion of mapping of session styles into their underlying
session control protocols by Eve Schooler

See you in Amsterdam!

Abel Weinrib
Eve Schooler