Subject: New SIP draft

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:21:02 -0500

A new copy of the SIP specification is available from
  http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/sip/
A copy will also be in the confctrl archive from tomorrow, and in the
Internet Drafts archives after the IETF.

We believe we're now pretty close to submitting SIP for Proposed
Standard.  This draft includes a fairly complete security
architecture, and a number of fixes as a result of our implementation
experience.  After the last IETF we split Call Control Services out of
the core SIP draft.  In the core spec, we've spent a lot of time
tightening up definitions, and getting things clear, but haven't made
any large changes to the protocol, although we've made a number of
small changes where things were incorrect.  There are still a number
of minor open issues, which we'll discuss next week at the IETF.

I know it's a tall order, given how close we are to the IETF, but if
you're interesting in SIP and going to be in LA on Tuesday, I would
ask you to look at this draft of the specification before Tuesday's
meeting so you can give us your comments.  If everything goes well,
we'll be submitting SIP for Proposed Standard before the next IETF so
this may be your last chance to discuss it with us in person.

I also hope we can release an sdr implementation of this specification
this week (supporting "minimal", "basic" and "redirect"
functionality).

Cheers,
	Mark