Subject: RE: RTSP End of Session message

From: Eric Fleischman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 13:25:20 -0700

David Oran wrote:

>Well, I tend to leave the movie theater when the screen goes blank
>(sometimes before, even :-) ). Where's the server supposed to get this
>magic signal from in the first place? 

The server knows when the "end of data stream" has taken place when the
live data source whose data it is streaming "goes away". In many
situations this will be when the network connection to the server from
the source is dropped.

Given the current RTSP spec definitions (where the server can take no
initiative nor does it have the ability to alert the client of the
existence of this or any other "event"), the server is to remain in the
"playing" state until such a time as the client recognizes what's
happening and then initiates corrective action. 

If so, let's just hope that there is a human controlling the client and
not some automation process because, without an ability to send
events/alerts, establish timeouts, or have some intelligence in the
server, the automation process will have to be mightly intelligent to
respond appropriately.

---

From: Bruce Butterfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 13:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

Remember the SET_PARAMETER message. It doesn't affect state and can be
issued by either side. "Events" could certainly be implemented this way.

Bruce Butterfield <[email-masked]>  	Phone: (206) 674-2467
Progressive Networks			Fax:   (206) 674-3580
Software Development Engineer - Platform Group