Subject: RTSP Clarification

From: "Josh Perfetto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:30:54 -0700

Section 10.2 of RFC2326 states:

Additionally, servers SHOULD NOT use the DESCRIBE response as a means
of media indirection.

     Clear ground rules need to be established so that clients have an
     unambiguous means of knowing when to request media initialization
     information via DESCRIBE, and when not to. By forcing a DESCRIBE
     response to contain all media initialization for the set of streams
     that it describes, and discouraging use of DESCRIBE for media
     indirection, we avoid looping problems that might result from other
     approaches.

---

Does this mean that an SDP response should not consist entirely of streams
located on a different server, or that the server should not reply with a
3xx response code?  If it is the former isn't this somewhat allowed under
the more general case of a presentation with different streams on different
servers?  What makes this case special?

-Josh