Subject: Re:

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:13:03 -0500

Sez Christian Gosselin <[email-masked]>:
>>1) Is it mandatory for all UAC to REGISTER or be
>>registered to any SERVER (proxy,redirect) so that
>>it can be contacted.
>
>The UA is responsible for the registration and the request is sent by the
>UAC. If your last registration is not expired then it's not necessary to
>register again. If your not registered anywhere I don't see how you could
>receive invitation, as mention in the rfc2543 p.34 "the support for the
>REGISTER is RECOMMENDED".

The caller could know the exact location of the callee ahead of time in some
cases; if you were to advertise your number as [email-masked], any
calls would go directly to the callee's UAS without any need to register at
a proxy.  Of course, this would limit your mobility significantly, but it is
entirely logical.

Stephen

     |          |         Stephen Sprunk, K5SSS, CCIE #3723
    :|:        :|:        NSA, Network Consulting Engineer
   :|||:      :|||:       14875 Landmark Blvd #400; Dallas, TX
.:|||||||:..:|||||||:.    Pager: 800-365-4578 / 800-901-6078
C I S C O S Y S T E M S   Email: [email-masked]