Subject: Confctrl at March IETF

From: schooler
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 93 15:29:51 PST

Hi,

I'm just getting organized for the March IETF in Columbus, and would
like some input.

I've scheduled one session for Tuesday morning and am having trouble
scheduling the second session.  Please let me know if a Thursday
morning session would work for you (that is of course if you are
planning to attend IETF).

The first session will be used for presentations about existing
conference control schemes.  Thus, I am interested in identifying
projects that have been influential or seminal in this area.  Please
forward me any ideas you might have, otherwise you will end up with my
own biased opinions :-)  On a related note, I would like to start a 
bibliography or recommended reading list on confctrl, so I am also soliciting 
information about your favorite readings.  I will try to assemble any
on-line documents in one place for easier access.

The second confctrl session will be for discussion of a strawman
framework/protocol, hopefully based on or extended by feedback from
the first session.  

Any and all comments welcome.

Eve

p.s. - I will post a wider call for input from rem-conf by mid-week next week.

---

From: Fengmin Gong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1993 12:58:21 -0500 (EST)

>planning to attend IETF).

According to the agenda sent out by Megan on Monday, there is
already a second session scheduled on Wednesday morning.  Anyway,
that time works for me.

>own biased opinions :-) 

Good idea.  I also feel that these presentations should focus on the
functionalities (or services) provided by the respective systems. The
reason is that we need to have a better understanding of the services
provided by existing systems and then define a set of general desirable
services, before we can do a good job on developing the conference ctrl
framework/protocols.  I read the summary from the last BOF session and
it seems to also suggest such a need.

> On a related note, I would like to start a 

Another good idea, I will contribute what I can.

>p.s. - I will post a wider call for input from rem-conf by mid-week next week.

Do you have some one that will create the first strawman?  I have compiled
a list of desirable conferencing services that can complement the spectrum
capabilities and session types from the last BOF.  I think we can identify
what we need in confctrl based on the capability of existing systems and 
the service requirements.  Of course, if there is already a strawman for
confctrl framework we can discuss it with respect to the service
requirements.

-- 
Fengmin Gong			E-mail: [email-masked]
Network Research Engineer	Phone:  919 248-9214
MCNC Center for Communications  FAX:    919 248-1405