Subject: RTSP: Aggregate vs non-aggregate control

From: Ram Kordale <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:18:28 -0700

I have a question on what RTSP requires in the following scenario.

If a server responds to an RTSP DESCRIBE message with an SDP description
with an aggregate URL, what does the RTSP RFC say about control over
individual tracks. For example, could a client send PLAY and PAUSE
messages for individual tracks? Should a server be expected to deny such
a request?

I don't see why such requests cannot be made but the RFC has examples
that deny such requests.

Thanks.
Ram
-- 

Ram Kordale
Kasenna Inc.

---

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:34:21 -0700

There's nothing prohibiting a client from issuing PLAY and PAUSE on 
individual tracks, but to the best of my knowledge, there aren't any 
servers out there that implement per-track control on aggregate 
streams.  So, in the interest of interoperability, a client should be able 
to fall back to aggregate control in the cases where per-track control fails.

Rob