Subject: RE: New version of FID. WAS (Re: FID Draft - again)

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:17:00 -0400

A few comments:

1. Some more information on usage with SIP is needed. Specifically, a few
things need to be added:

  a. how is the response constructed? Does the mid value for a stream need
to be the same as in the INVITE? Does the FID/LS groups need to be the same
in the response as in the INVITE? If I refuse a stream (by stting the port
to zero), do I need to include the mid value? Do I need to include that
stream in any groups?

  b. If the caller doesn't support this stuff, you need to clearly state
that the callee CANNOT insert the mid and FID/LS attributes.

  c. If several streams are alternates (groupe=FID), can you switch between
them mid-call? Or, does the called party have to select one and use that one
for the remainder of the call?

2. In section 4.2, you talk about DTMF in the app components architecture.
Its important to note that app components doesn't depend on FID. In the
cases where a media server needs to receive a DTMF stream for features, this
is a parallel media stream, not an alternate, and so fid is not needed. The
only case its needed is if a media server wants an entire copy of the media
stream, and would like DTMF to go to one port or address, and regular speech
to another.

3. I'm still a bit puzzled about the lip sync. I am still looking for a
concrete example of where a single session has multiple media streams which
are not all lip-synced. Orit provided the following example:

> Nevertheless, here is a familiar application provided by my colleague:
> During international videoconference a speech in a certain 
> language is being
> translated simultaneously to a number of other languages. One 
> video stream
> (that of the speaker) and all the audio streams are transmitted to the
> participants. Each participant has the ability to choose a 
> single audio in
> his native language to be actually displayed. Lip-synch 
> between video and
> audio makes sense and required for one of the audio streams 
> only. For all
> the rest it is a burden. The question is: which one is the right one?

OK, so in this case, the SIP session between each participant and the media
server has a single video stream, and multiple audio streams. Each audio
stream has a different MID, and there is an FID group listing all of those
(which means you should choose ONE of those audio streams). Now, whichever
you end up using, the audio and video stream is lip-synced. I don't see why
an additional parameter is needed.

I don't really feel strongly, and will happily agree to having it in there
if its needed. But, I would like to see an example where it is definitely
needed, and can't be done in some other way. 

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gonzalo Camarillo [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 12:51 PM
> To: Joerg Ott
> Cc: Orit Levin; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: New version of FID. WAS (Re: FID Draft - again)
> 
> 
> Hello,
> 
> > Gonzalo will submit a draft that generalizes the fid field 
> to allow for
> > both features and we'll go through the review process again.
> 
> I have just submitted the new version of the draft to the 
> IETF. It will
> appear in the archives soon. In the meantime, you can find it 
> on the URL
> below:
> 
> http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo/papers/draft-ietf-mmusic-fid-02.txt
> 
> I hope everybody is happy now and we can move on.
> 
> Best regards,
> 
> Gonzalo
> -- 
> Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
> Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
> 472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
> 1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
> New York, NY 10027                   
> USA                              [email-masked]
>

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 21:22:41 +0300

Hello,

I have just submitted a new version (03) of the fid draft to the IETF.
Until it appears in the archives you can download it from the following
URL:

http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo/papers/draft-ietf-mmusic-fid-03.txt

I have updated the document based on the feedback received. There are
not fundamental changes in it, though. Everything I have done is adding
some examples, explaining things in a longer way and fixing some typos.
Feedback is welcome on this new version, as usual.

Thanks to all of you who sent feedback and comments.

Best regards,

Gonzalo