Subject: [Fwd: Request for Registration of SDP Attribute (SDP-Parameters)]

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:23:00 -0400

FYI,
The following email concerns an application to IANA for a new SDP attribute 
to be defined.  It appears this is the first such request and that IANA 
hasn't set up a registry for SDP attributes yet.

I asked and received permission from Mr. Abrams before forwarding to this 
list for information and possible feedback.

Chip

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:31:50 -0500
From: Robert Abrams <[email-masked]>
Organization: Lucent Technologies
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.76 [en]C-CCK-MCD EMS-1.5  (Win95; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
To: BICC SG11 list <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Fwd: Request for Registration of SDP Attribute (SDP-Parameters)]
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: Robert Abrams <[email-masked]>

BICCers,

I have initiated a request to IANA for registration of the new
IPBCP SDP attribute, as attached.  Apparently this is their first such
request.  Attached is their response, and more importantly, you may review 
and
comment on the technical part of my request.  We can modify it if needed.

Bob AbramsReturn-Path: <[email-masked]>
Received: from ihemail2.firewall.lucent.com (ihemail2.firewall.lucent.com 
[192.11.222.163]) by ihmail.ih.lucent.com (8.8.8+Sun/EMS-1.5 sol2)
	id TAA13253; Wed, 6 Jun 2001 19:06:54 -0500 (CDT)
Received: from ihemail2.firewall.lucent.com (localhost [127.0.0.1])
	by ihemail2.firewall.lucent.com (Switch-2.1.3/Switch-2.1.0) with ESMTP id 
f5706tx18856
	for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:06:55 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from mailhub.icann.org (mailhub.icann.org [192.0.34.33])
	by ihemail2.firewall.lucent.com (Switch-2.1.3/Switch-2.1.0) with ESMTP id 
f5706th18852
	for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:06:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: "IANA" <[email-masked]>
To: "Robert Abrams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Request for Registration of SDP Attribute (SDP-Parameters)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:03:52 -0700
Importance: Normal

Dear Robert,

It appears that this registry has not yet been set-up
per RFC 2327.  We will try to take care of this within
the next weeks and then contact you when it is complete.

Thank you for your patience.

IANA

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Abrams [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 2:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Request for Registration of SDP Attribute

I wish to register a new SDP attribute that is used in ITU-T Recommendation
Q.1970.  The information for the attribute is appended.

Robert Abrams
Editor of ITU-T Recommendation Q.1970
Associate Rapporteur of Question 11 of ITU-T Study Group 11

---------------------------------------------------------------------

        The following SDP attribute is defined in ITU-T Recommendation
Q.1970, "BICC IP Bearer Control Protocol".

  o contact name, ********

        o attribute-name: ipbcp

        o long-form attribute name in English: IP bearer control protocol

        o type of attribute: session level

        o whether the attribute value is subject to the charset
        attribute. Not dependent on charset.
	o purpose of the attribute:
The SDP session attribute "ipbcp" provides the means to identify the IPBCP 
version and to distinguish between Request, Accepted, Confused and Rejected 
message types.  IPBCP uses SDP data structures designated as "messages" to 
convey bearer control information between peer bearer control entities.
There are four types of messages defined: 1) The Request message is sent to
initiate a bearer establishment or modification request. 2) The Accepted 
message is a response that the Request message are accepted.  3) The 
Confused message is
a response that the receiver cannot process the Request message. 4) The
Rejected message is a response that the receiver rejects the Request 
message.

        o appropriate attribute values for this attribute:

	a=ipbcp: < version> <type>

	where	<version> = 1 indicates IPBCP version defined in Recommendation
Q.1970.
Other values not yet defined.

		<type> = ("Request" / "Accepted" / "Confused" / "Rejected")

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                       Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems
-------------------------------------------------------------------