Subject: SIP: To, From syntax

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 19:03:54 -0400

Problem: Currently, the To, From and Location fields have no convenient
way to indicate a "display name", i.e., something more suitable for user
interface rendition. The currently suggested method, a comment in
parentheses, in deprecated in draft-ietf-drums-msg-fmt-04.txt.

Solutions:

(1) Ignore DRUMS (since we don't have the historical baggage) and leave
the current method

To: sip:[email-masked] (John Doe)

(2) Allow the DRUMS syntax

To: John Doe <sip:[email-masked]>

<> are suggested URL bracketing characters, so this doesn't stray too
far from URL usage, but it is harder to parse.

I prefer (1).

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:31:07 -0400

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> 2) Allow the DRUMS syntax
>

It doesn't seem much harder to parse; just look for the < character;
anything before is the display name, and after until > is the URL. (or
is it harder to parse since we want to allow both?) I would rather think
its more important to align with drums to keep the advantage SIP has of
being able to use the same parser as for web and email.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen