Subject: Proxies and draft-ietf-mmusic-sip-100rel-00

From: "Adam B. Roach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:52:03 -0500 (CDT)

The current draft for 1xx message reliablity specifies that
reliablity is hop-by-hop, not end-to-end, *and* that proxies
are still free to drop provisional messages (i.e. not proxy
them upstream) after acknowledging them.

As I understand it, part of the usefulness of reliable 1xx
messages is the ability to (1) trigger certain required
behavior for gateways into non-SIP networks, and (2) transmit
additional information (e.g. ISUP payloads).

If intervening proxies have the option of discarding 1xx messages
at their discression, the concept of 1xx "reliablity" seems
defeated.

I propose that the draft should be revised so that that, when 
reliable 1xx messages transmission is required, 1xx messages 
must be proxied.

-- 
Adam Roach                 |  Ph: +1 972 583 7594 | 1010 E. Arapaho, MS L-04
Ericsson Inc.              | Fax: +1 972 669 0154 | Richardson, TX 75081
[email-masked]    |                  <*> | USA