Subject: How to support bulk registration of ports for a GW

From: "Anoop Tripathi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:13:48 -0500

To route calls properly , a proxy server needs to know that a particular User
Agent is a GW and has say 50 ( currently ) ports. So  the proxy must route
atmost 50 calls to it.

Or say a  registering a hunt group ( Where one phone number corresponds to
multiple physical lines )

Is this in the domain of the SIP ? If yes, how is it implemented.

Thanks,

Anoop

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:57:18 -0400

> Is this in the domain of the SIP ? If yes, how is it implemented.

For routing calls to a gateway, the proper function is NOT
registrations, but the gateway location protocol, currently under
development in iptel. Thats because there is potentially a huge number
of phone numbers which may be routed to a single gateway. Things like
capacity (50 ports) are among the attributes defined in GLP (well, now
it will be a separate rfc, but thats a minor detail). Registrations
aren't able to handle things like phone number prefixes or capacity
attributes.

Hunt group can be done with registrations, since its really nothing more
than multiple user agents registering a single URI.

Whats the difference? Its the difference between a NAME and a ROUTE. In
the case of gateways, the final telephone number is not a name for the
gateway; rather, the gateway is an element on the ROUTE towards this
number in the telephone network. However, in the case of the hunt group,
the phone number is actually a NAME for that terminal. GLP is used to
distribute ROUTEs. Registrations bind NAMES to a user agent.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen