Subject: Quick comment re. draft-ietf-mmusic-sap-v2-01.txt

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 13:34:26

Colin (cc. confctrl),

I've just taken a quick look at "draft-ietf-mmusic-sap-v2-01.txt".  Good job!

I'd like to suggest, though, that you simplify the draft by completely
removing section 6: the section that describes Directory Sessions.  Because
directory session advertisements are a feature of *SDP*, the discussion
here doesn't really belong in a description of SAP - the announcement
protocol.

Instead, a description of directory sessions (& how they're used) belongs
in a separate RFC that describes the optional "directory"  SDP media type.
(Writing this is something that's been on my "to do" list, although I
probably won't be able to get it done in time for the Oslo IETF.)

All the SAP specification needs to say about directory sessions is to
acknowledge - as you already do in section 3 - that the address on which
SAP announcements are made may itself have been specified dynamically.

	Ross.

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 12:25:17 +0100

>here doesn't really belong in a description of SAP - the announcement

Perhaps, although the authentication requirements tie it to SAP somewhat?
I was trying to avoid writing a one-page RFC on this, but if you think it's
better split out into a separate document I have no real objection to this. 

Cheers,
Colin

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:05:34 -0400

> better split out into a separate document I have no real objection to this.

Given that SDP is now widely used outside of SAP, it would be much
better, I believe, to keep SDP and SAP as separate as possible. This
avoids having to go hunting all over for SDP-related information that
might be useful outside the context of SAP. Thus, I'd move any
description of SDP to a separate appendix, similar to the 'SDP
considerations' section in SIP. (SIP, for example, may well carry SDP
payloads that contain directory sessions, as could email.)

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 13:49:05 -0500

Could use any pointer to SIP-H.323 mapping for such as signaling gateway
functions for networks with mixed SIP and H.323 environment. Any help is
welcome.

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
MCI WorldCom
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081, USA