Subject: Bug in RTSP spec (RFC 2326)?

From: Ram Kordale <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:01:10 -0700

Is the following a bug in the RTSP spec?

- The spec says that the time range in the Range header is a half-open
interval. Given this, if a player wants to play a movie of duration of d
seconds from start to finish, it has atleast 2 choices:
1 - give a range of "0-"   OR
2 - give a range of "0-d+1"

In (2), the player deliberately specifies the "to" part to be beyond the
range of the movie to accommodate the above "half-open" policy of the
spec.

If the player uses (2), the end range is beyond the end of the movie
and so the spec requires that the server respond with "Invalid range"
error.

Is the fix for the spec to say that if the player requires that it receive
data until the end, it should not specify the "to" part of the range. So,
in the above example, it should choose (1) and not (2)?

Thanks.
Ram