Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-01.txt

From: Heil Franca Marcelo ICM N MC MI E 73 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 18:43:40 +0100

Carsten,

I see SCCP as an interesting option for tighly-coupled conference control in
the context of the internet multimedia conference architecture and would
like to support it. Could you please give me some background information on
the history of SCCP? 

There seems to be no specific statement to it in the MMUSIC WG charter and I
have not seen any directly related discussions in the mailing list in the
past weeks. Also the recently expired draft-ietf-mmusic-confarch-03.txt
makes references to a SCCP internet-draft from 1996(!). 

Thanks,
Marcelo

Marcelo Heil França  
Siemens AG
ICM N MC MI E 73
Tel: +49 89 72245095
E-Mail: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Dienstag, 6. März 2001 12:51
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Simple Conference Control Protocol
                          Service Specofocation
	Author(s)	: C. Bormann
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-01.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 05-Mar-01
	
This document defines the services for a simple conference control
protocol (SCCP) to be used for tightly coupled conferences. It is
part of the Internet Multimedia Conferencing Architecture, proposed
in [1].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Mar 2001 22:21:40 +0100

>>>>> "Marcelo" == Heil Franca Marcelo ICM N MC MI E 73 <[email-masked]> writes:

    Marcelo> Carsten, I see SCCP as an interesting option for
    Marcelo> tighly-coupled conference control in the context of the
    Marcelo> internet multimedia conference architecture and would
    Marcelo> like to support it. Could you please give me some
    Marcelo> background information on the history of SCCP?

    Marcelo> There seems to be no specific statement to it in the
    Marcelo> MMUSIC WG charter and I have not seen any directly
    Marcelo> related discussions in the mailing list in the past
    Marcelo> weeks. Also the recently expired
    Marcelo> draft-ietf-mmusic-confarch-03.txt makes references to a
    Marcelo> SCCP internet-draft from 1996(!).

Marcelo,

right, draft-ietf-mmusic-sccp-00.txt has been submitted some years
ago. The motivation for re-submitting it is to re-initiate the
discussion on the subject (if there is any interest) and, first of
all, to define the required services for a conference course control
protocol.

The current version of the draft merely specifies services. We did not
advance the original protocol spec. because we thought that the
required features might be different than 5 years ago, now that
significant experiences with conference announcement, conference
initiation, local coordination, media transport and reliable multicast
have been gained.

For example, the SIP conferencing ideas that are emerging now should
probably be considered for the specification of a conference control
protocol.

-- 
	Dirk