Subject: SIP progress

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 16:09:43 -0500

Just a quick progress report.  SIP was discussed at the IESG telechat
last Thursday, but no decision was taken on advancing it to Proposed
Standard because one of the other ADs needed more time to read and
comment on it.

We've now got back a long list of additional clarifications that are
required and we'll make these changes in the next few days.  It's
possible we may still get approval of the draft before the Orlando
meeting, but this isn't clear now.

What is clear is that SIP's use of DNS SRV records (which are
currently an Experimental Standard, but are being progressed to
Proposed Standard in the near future) will prevent SIP being formally
published as an Proposed Standard RFC until DNS SRV records are also
approved as a Proposed Standard (we had the same problem with RTSP
depending on SDP early this year).  What will happen is that SIP
should be approved by the IESG _pending_ the approval of DNS SRV
records.  Once SIP is conditionally approved, the SIP spec would then
be officially frozen, and it would be safe to implement from it
without risking the spec changing again.

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:09:11 +0000

> meeting, but this isn't clear now.

Could you post those comments?  I'm sure lots of people on thsi list
would be interested.

Cheers,
Anders

-- 
Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>,
http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/ak/
Hewlett-Packard Labs, Bristol, UK