Subject: Draft Submission

From: "Trossen Dirk (NRC/Boston)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:23:59 -0500

Hi all,

On Wednesday, I submitted the latest version of a problem statement
draft regarding 
conference course control to the IETF. This document can be found at
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-trossen-conferencing-proble
m-00.txt

and it is the result of a discussion among a set of people during the
last
months regarding problems and necessary efforts related to this topic.

I'd like to take the opportunity until and at the next IETF to discuss
how and to 
what extent to bring the issues in this document as efforts to the IETF.

As for the MMUSIC WG, it is not intended to bring this work back as an
item on
the charter of the WG, which is also agreed with the WG chairs. 
However, I'd like to use the expertise of the members of the list to
start the 
discussion whether and, if so, how to bring work regarding this topic to
the IETF.

So please feel free to provide comments regarding this document.

Best Regards,

Dirk Trossen
-----------------------
Dirk Trossen
Nokia Research Center
5 Wayside Road
Burlington, MA 01803
Tel: +1 (781) 993 3605
Fax: +1 (781) 993 1907
mob: +1 (617) 794 7041 
-----------------------

---

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:14:21 -0500

"Trossen Dirk (NRC/Boston)" wrote:

> http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-trossen-conferencing-problem-00.txt

> So please feel free to provide comments regarding this document.

Thanks for the draft.

It would be nice if the document was much clearer in its distinction
between centralized conferences [11], and multicast conferences. Some
things, like floor control, are really easy to enforce in centralized
conferences (using existing protocols with minor extensions), but
require reliable multicast protocols, and N-to-N reliability and
distributed state management to boot. I suspect if we want to make
progress after ten years on this topic, that separating the two will
help.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs