Subject: Second Call for Participation: ACM Sigcomm 2001 Conference

From: "Dilip D Kandlur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:06:34 -0400

Note that the deadline for advance registration is August 3rd.

               Call for Participation
              ACM SIGCOMM 2001 Conference

                    August 27 - August 31, 2001
                 University of California, San Diego, CA USA
                http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm2001

Deadlines:

Proposals for student travel grant:      June 15, 2001
Proposals for student poster session:    June 17, 2001
Advance registration ends:              August 3, 2001
Hotel registration deadline:       July 23, 2001

ACM SIGCOMM 2001 is the annual conference of the Special Interest
Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM), a single-track, highly
selective conference with a technical program of 23 papers, tutorials
by noted instructors on the two days prior, and a panel discussion.

Early registration for SIGCOMM 2001 will soon be available.
Registration details, as well as information on student travel grants
and requests for proposals for the work-in-progress poster session are
available at the SIGCOMM website above.

Social Events

The reception will be at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps.  The Aquarium
is situated on a hilltop site that provides a spectacular view on the
Scripps Institution of Oceanography campus, northern La Jolla, and the
Pacific Ocean.  Conference attendees will have full access to the
aquarium exhibits during the reception. The reception is included in
registration fee for attendees and their guests. No reservations
necessary.

The SIGCOMM 2001 Banquet will be held in the Main Ballroom of the
Hotel Del Coronado, situated on picturesque Coronado Island. Over 112
years old, it is a National Historic Landmark renowned for its
magnificent architecture and legendary guests. The banquet is included
in the registration fee for attendees. There will be a $75 charge for
each guest.

SIGCOMM Award

The SIGCOMM Award is given annually to a person whose career and
technical achievements demonstrate a long-term commitment to the field
of data communications. ACM SIGCOMM is pleased to announce that the 2001
SIGCOMM Award is being given to Van Jacobson of Packet Design, Inc.
Van Jacobson will receive the award and give the conference keynote
address in the opening session on Wednesday.

Tutorials

SIGCOMM 2001 begins with two days of full- and half-day tutorials
covering single topics in detail at both the introductory and advanced
level.  Tutorials offered this year are:

 - Wireless Data
     Phil Karn, Qualcomm, Inc.
 - Traffic Measurement for IP Operations
     Matt Grossglauser and Jennifer Rexford, AT&T
 - Interdomain Routing and BGP
     Timothy G. Griffin, AT&T
 - Equilibrium and Dynamics of TCP
     Prof. Steven H. Low, California Inst. of Technology
 - Algorithms for Networks: Some Techniques for Design and Analysis
     Ashish Goel, University of Southern California
     Nick McKeown and Balaji Prabhakar, Stanford University

Outrageous Opinions Session

The Outrageous Opinions Session provides an opportunity for sharing
entertaining, provocative, and otherwise enriching ideas and suggestions
in their early stages. The session will be held Thursday evening.

Poster Session - Work in Progress

The Poster Session is aimed at showcasing the "work-in-progress" of
students attending the conference.  Poster proposals should be sent by
email to Hari Balakrishnan ([email-masked]) by June 17 (no
extensions).  Please see the conference website for details regarding
the submission format.

Student Travel Awards

The purpose of the student travel program is to encourage graduate
student participation at the conference by partially or fully funding
the travel costs of students who would otherwise be unable to
attend. SIGCOMM 2001 thanks Cisco and SIGCOMM for funding the program
this year.  See the website for eligibility criteria and application
procedures.

General Co-Chairs
        Rene Cruz, UC San Diego, USA ([email-masked])
        George Varghese, UC San Diego, USA ([email-masked])
Program Co-Chairs
        Roch Guerin, U. Pennsylvania, USA ([email-masked])
        Derek McAuley, Marconi Research Center, UK
([email-masked])
Publicity Chair
        Dilip Kandlur, IBM TJ Watson Research Ctr, USA ([email-masked])
Tutorials Chair
        Chuck Kalmanek, AT&T Research, USA ([email-masked])
Local Arrangements Co-Chairs
     Geoff Voelker, UC San Diego, USA ([email-masked])
Finance Chair
     Joe Touch, UCS/ISI, USA ([email-masked])
Publication Chair
     Ramesh Govindan, USC/ISI, USA ([email-masked])
Student Travel Award Chair
     Christos Papadopoulos, U. Southern California ([email-masked])
Student Poster Chair
     Hari Balakrishnan, MIT, USA ([email-masked])

Support from Cisco, IBM, Deloitte and Touche, PMC-Sierra, Marconi,
Procket Networks, Agilent Technologies, Microsoft Research, and
USC/ISI is gratefully acknowledged.