Subject: RTSP Reference Implementation Alpha 0.2

From: Rob Lanphier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:47:07 -0700

Progressive Networks is releasing Alpha 0.2 of the RTSP, which serves as a
reference implementation, in the C language, of
draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-02.txt.  Much has changed in RTSP since the original
draft.  However, the reference implementation still has roughly the same
interface.

Freely downloadable source code is provided for both a client and a server
for the following platforms: Windows, SUN Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD.
More platforms will be added later, but the code should be readily portable
to other platforms.

You may download the reference from the following URL:
http://www.realaudio.com/prognet/rt/reference.html

Alpha 2 of the RTSP player and server have the following known limitations
and anomalies:

*  Server is configured by default as single use; once the client goes
away, so does the server.  However, the server can be configured as an
inetd client, which will cause it to behave more like a normal server.

*  Media support is limited to .wav format only.

For updates on the status of this software, please visit our RTSP Resource
Center at http://www.real.com/prognet/rt.  

This isn't officially supported software, but if you have any questions or
problems, we would appreciate it if you would send them to
"[email-masked]".   We strongly encourage you to send in patches
and enhancements to the software as well, which will help to make this a
useful tool for understanding the RTSP protocol.

Thanks for your interest.

Rob Lanphier
---
Rob Lanphier               Voice: (206)674-2322         Fax: (206)674-2699
Program Manager-Protocols                         Email: [email-masked]
Progressive Networks-Home of RealAudio            Web: http://www.real.com
For more information on firewalls:       http://www.real.com/firewall.html
For more information on RTSP:               http://www.real.com/prognet/rt